Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
MrPopo

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I agree that CV4 and Bloodlines both feel just different enough from the NES trilogy that I didn't think beating the NES trilogy really prepared me for them. The biggest difference to me was how they did enemy placements; the NES games didn't really have much in the way of "gotcha" enemies. The closest they came was that the birds were jerks, but nothing as bad as what you see in Ninja Gaiden. But then Rondo is closer to the NES trilogy, and if you rush unlocking Maria and switch to her it becomes a different (and much easier) game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Hmmm, it's been a number of years since I played IV, but I kind of hated it for the whip mechanics, and how easy it was. Most of what I remember about it is the really terrible deaths from garbage collision on the chandeliers, the break-away stairs where the gear chases you up the screen, and friggin' Slogra. I kind of remember the treasury stage, because it was about the only stage I actually liked. The music is fine, but it's pretty forgettable, for me. I don't even remember that version of Theme of Simon. When I think of that song, I can only hear the version from Bloodlines.

Also, the arrange mode of Castlevania Chronicles is probably what everyone beat. The original mode is very difficult. Most would say original mode is much more difficult than NES Castlevania. I forgot to go back to it to finish original mode. I'd need to practice it a fair amount again, before I could beat it, I'd think.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Dude, the collapsing stairs were completely awful until someone (I think it was Ziggy) told me to only hold up on them; if you push any of the side buttons it tends to make you hesitate a bit and fall.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I think the worst part of 4 is the catacombs level, it's a long challenging level and the end has a collapsing bridge that uses rng to determine when to fall. And the whole stretch before it is full of instant death spear traps. I dread that section everytime I replay the game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Those disappearing staircases were the worst part for me. Even with save states it took me like 25 mins to get thru that part. Though the "just hit up" tip would have come in handy haha.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

MrPopo wrote:Dude, the collapsing stairs were completely awful until someone (I think it was Ziggy) told me to only hold up on them; if you push any of the side buttons it tends to make you hesitate a bit and fall.

This advice sounds familiar, but it's been a while, and I don't recall if I just made it through with luck, or if I eventually realized this. The first few times, I remember not really having any trouble with them, but dying to something later in that area (probably the levitating blocks or something), and then eventually developing trouble with it. They just stick out to me now as decidedly jank.

strangenova wrote:I think the worst part of 4 is the catacombs level, it's a long challenging level and the end has a collapsing bridge that uses rng to determine when to fall.

Oh, I totally forgot about this, for some reason. Yeah, those things are obscenely BS.

noiseredux wrote:Even with save states it took me like 25 mins to get thru that part.

Doesn't CV IV have unlimited continues?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

pierrot wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Dude, the collapsing stairs were completely awful until someone (I think it was Ziggy) told me to only hold up on them; if you push any of the side buttons it tends to make you hesitate a bit and fall.

This advice sounds familiar, but it's been a while, and I don't recall if I just made it through with luck, or if I eventually realized this. The first few times, I remember not really having any trouble with them, but dying to something later in that area (probably the levitating blocks or something), and then eventually developing trouble with it. They just stick out to me now as decidedly jank.

I dont remember this part being too bad other than like one or two stairs that seem to drop you for no reason.

pierrot wrote:
strangenova wrote:I think the worst part of 4 is the catacombs level, it's a long challenging level and the end has a collapsing bridge that uses rng to determine when to fall.

Oh, I totally forgot about this, for some reason. Yeah, those things are obscenely BS.

I know!

pierrot wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Even with save states it took me like 25 mins to get thru that part.

Doesn't CV IV have unlimited continues?

Yes
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it does, yes.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just saw this on Youtube and had to post it somewhere:
This guy is modifying the SOTN engine, adding a bunch of new stuff - it's amazing what he's accomplished so-far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yTbAJUs2Dk
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anyone ever beat the second quest / hard mode in a Castlevania game? I've beaten the hard mode in 1 and 4, but for some reason I never thought about playing 3. I was just watching it on AGDQ and Medusa heads are replaced with skulls that actually chase you (link). It's awesome to learn something new about a game you thought you knew everything about!

edit: Come to think of it, there's a lot I haven't done with 3. Which just seems kind of odd since it's one of my favorite NES games, and one of my favorite games of any console. I've beaten the NES and FC versions several times over, but I've never beaten the harder difficulty. What's more, I've only beaten it with Grant and Alucard. I've never played with Sypha. And even then, I've never really used Alucard or Grant. I usually just switch to them to skip something then switch back immediately. I really like playing as Trevor. But I should really try doing a solo run with the three other characters. And I should really try the hard mode.