Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Zing
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Zing »

I agree about the music. I have no interest in the game, but I have listened to the soundtrack many times.

The following game's music was even better!
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I played through LoI a few years back and enjoyed it. A lot of areas of the game did seem repetitive and boring, but I trooped through the game anyway. I played it some years back now, so I don't know how I'd feel about it today. I always wanted to check out Curse of Darkness, but I've read so many horrible things about it.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I have always felt that if the developers had just made Lament of Innocence's environments less repetitive, the game would have gotten great reception. There wasn't really anything else wrong with it.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Is Curse of Darkness really that bad? I've always heard mixed things myself. Considering how awkwardly received LoI was, I guess Curse just floated by or something. Most people I've talked too seem to prefer LoI over it. I still want to check it out myself sometime though... maybe they fixed the environment issue?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The review for Darkness on the Castlevania Dungeon, IIRC, says the environment issue is worse.

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/games/cod.html

Still, I will try it one day.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I feel like I can just stop reading after the first sentence:

"At some point in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, there's a stage called the Tower of Eternity. It is fifty floors, which means you go through fifty identical rooms, fighting enemies over and over."

:lol:

Also to correct myself from earlier... is it LoI that didn't have any leveling? I'm seeing in this review that Curse "brings that back" so maybe I mixed them up. Come to think of it I think that's another reason why I got bored with LoI, there was no real reward for the endless back to back fighting.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Also, the fighting in LoI wasn't nearly as fun as it was in SotN.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, it's a weird thing since the game formulas are arguably pretty much dead on similar. But it just works so much better in 2D. It's kind of like how I'm a huge side scrolling beat em' up fan, but games like the Dynasty Warriors series just don't really do it for me and get old pretty quickly. Even though, in both cases, all you're doing is repeatedly button mashing your way through hundreds of enemies per level.

Retro Studios got it right with Metroid Prime, damn they did. Too bad Castlevania didn't turn out that way.
Flake

Post by Flake »

All this Lament of Innocence talk got me to buy a copy of it at the local brick and mortar the other day and I am taking this weekend to sit down and play it.

So far, it's been pretty fun. There are a few things that this game actually does very well that I did not give it credit for in the past.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It definitely beats Lords of Shadows.