Sonic Generations

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Xeogred »

This was dirt cheap on Amazon so I got it, dabbed into it today and I'm really impressed so far. The hype was right!

I'm tempted to get Episodes 1-2 of 4 now, but I just don't understand how they can make classic Sonic control really well here, but then mess that up in 4. :?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Xeogred wrote:I'm tempted to get Episodes 1-2 of 4 now, but I just don't understand how they can make classic Sonic control really well here, but then mess that up in 4. :?

They were developed seperately.

Frankly, after the ultra-positive reception of generations, I think they should've just scrapped the engine they had for Episode 2 and just rebuilt it using Generation's engine.
Flake

Post by Flake »

AppleQueso wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'm tempted to get Episodes 1-2 of 4 now, but I just don't understand how they can make classic Sonic control really well here, but then mess that up in 4. :?

They were developed seperately.

Frankly, after the ultra-positive reception of generations, I think they should've just scrapped the engine they had for Episode 2 and just rebuilt it using Generation's engine.

I second this. Also making Tails such a big part of the game was stupid. One of the things everyone loved about Sonic Generations was that you only played as Sonic.

Sonic 4 (either episode) will only be a disappointment for anyone used to Sonic Generations.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Flake wrote:One of the things everyone loved about Sonic Generations was that you only played as Sonic.

The one and only criticism I had about Generations was being unable to play as Tails.

Not everybody. Just sayin'.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

The only other character I ever want to play as in a Sonic game besides Sonic himself is Shadow. I liked his levels in the Sonic Adventure games and I liked this boss fight with him mostly due to the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrvOp5gi1W8

That was one of the better tracks to come from the Sonic Adventure games. I'm perfectly fine with them keeping Sonic as the only playable character though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Yeah well, no offense but I've had it up to here with Shadow. I want Tails and Knuckles.

As for fixing what's isn't broken, well the Genesis games were nowhere near broken. They let you play as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. They "fixed" that in the new games, and that fucking sucks.

Edit to add:

I apologize if I sounded rude, I'm not trying to.

Anyway, just to clarify, I realize that I'm in the minority now, and most fans no longer care about these two characters that helped to build this series. But I still do. That's all I can really say about it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

It must be easier to design good levels if you just have to have 1 character in mind. Considering the level design of more modern Sonic games has been criticised, maybe it is better for them to concentrate on designing and testing levels just for Sonic (without Tails flying and Knuckles gliding and climbing).

In 3D stuff like Sonic Adventure the levels are changed for different characters as far as I am aware, but so is the gameplay...

Ivo.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Well, it wasn't so bad in the 2D days when Tails and Knuckles played mostly the same as Sonic. The Sonic Adventure games really messed that up in trying to make every character have a different style of gameplay. The Knuckles levels in Sonic Adventure 2 were awful. I took to Shadow because he played like Sonic, but he looked a bit cooler and had slightly cooler music. He had his own set of unique stages, but they delivered that same awesome Sonic style gameplay. Plus, I tend to like "bad" characters or anti-hero types so I liked Shadow. Tails was always too annoyingly cute and Knuckles always came across as kind of an idiot going all the way back to his first appearance in Sonic 3 and Knuckles where Robotnick used him.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gamerforlife wrote:The Knuckles levels in Sonic Adventure 2 were awful.

A thousand times this. I admit to never beating Sonic Adventure 2 because of the damned Knuckles and Rouge levels. I'd just get annoyed, turn it off, and never feel like getting back to it every time I tried to play through the game.

I won't go as far as saying Sonic Adventure 2 is a bad game because of this but for me at least, this ruined the game. It stopped me and said, "HEY! You look like you're having fun with Sonic. Go play this boring, frustrating scavenger hunt level instead."

Not cool. At least in the original Sonic Adventure I could play through all the Sonic levels then play the other characters when I wanted to.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

I want a new Sonic Adventure game that is completely dedicated to Charmy Bee. It would be a flight simulator and could only be played with a special edition controller that has 125 different buttons in it
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box