List of 2.5D Platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: List of 2.5D Platformers?

Post by alienjesus »

I always disagree with any classification of nights as a platformer myself. Besides the little bit where you play as the kids, which is basically a punishment if you suck, I can't see anything that suggests it's even close to a platformer. With its chaining mechanics, I'd say its closer to an action puzzle game, and thats not really the right definition either.

Also, I find it weird that viewtiful joe is counted. I guess I just always think of that as a beat 'em up, the platforming is so minimal in most levels, and frankly awful in the handful of sections where its the central mechanic imo.
GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

I was thinking about that too as I put them in there and thought I'd make a decision on it before updating the list, then forgot. It is a brawler at the core. I agree, they shouldn't be on there. Removed.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

What about BUG! and BUG Too! on the Saturn?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Megaman X8
Clockwork Knight
Castlelian/Nebulus/Tower Toppler <- The first 2.5D?
does Odin Sphere count?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Mischeif makers (N64)
Strider 2 (PS1)
Megaman Powered Up (PSP)
perhaps Mr. Bones (Saturn)
How about the Oddworld Games? I suppose the tricky bit here is whether they truly count as platformers. I'd say probably not, but I mention them just in case.

All play on 2d planes with 3d graphics. I suppose it depends what you call 2.5d. I've never considered mischeif makers anything but 2D, but looking at it, there are 3d graphics involved, so its no less 3d than NSMB really.

Also mentioning again that DK Jungle Beat and Klonoa are both also available on Wii. In fact, from what I hear the Wii Klonoa is the difinitive version.

It took me a second to realise there was nothing 3d about shinobi X/Legions. I suppose due to it's ....interesting art style.
Joostrevo
8-bit

Post by Joostrevo »

alienjesus wrote:I always disagree with any classification of nights as a platformer myself. Besides the little bit where you play as the kids, which is basically a punishment if you suck, I can't see anything that suggests it's even close to a platformer. With its chaining mechanics, I'd say its closer to an action puzzle game, and thats not really the right definition either.

Also, I find it weird that viewtiful joe is counted. I guess I just always think of that as a beat 'em up, the platforming is so minimal in most levels, and frankly awful in the handful of sections where its the central mechanic imo.

Whatever it is, its awesome
ConSOLES: Sega Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega Drive. Sony PS2, Ps1/X, PSP. Neo Geo Pocket Color
chuckbanzai
16-bit

Post by chuckbanzai »

If you get the chance play the new Shantae game on DSIware. It plays out a lot like the first but with a Wario landesque foreground/background shifting. Really awesome too!
Savior of 200X, Current holder of the Triforce of Courage, 5 time Mutant League Champion for the Galactic Aces! He's here to show you his moves! Lets give a big welcome to ChuckBanzai!
Nintendude94
8-bit

Post by Nintendude94 »

Tarzan and Donald Duck: Going Quackers. Multiplats.

Current systems: Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar (broken), Intellivision, Colecovision (x2), Arcadia 2001, Telestar Combat, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Virtual Boy, Gameboy (x2), GB Pocket, GB Light, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro, e-Reader, DS, DS Lite, DSi, Genesis (Modle1 and 2), Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PS1, PS2 (Model 1 and Slim), PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Hyper Scan and Tiger R-Zone (x2).
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Blade Kitten can be added to the list.
http://www.bladekitten.com/

...as can A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
http://ares.x10studio.com/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

J T wrote:
...as can A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
http://ares.x10studio.com/

Looks really cool but the main character looks like a total ripoff of the robot from Sonic Battle.