What platformer are you playing now?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
BigLou
8-bit

Re: What platformer are you playing now?

Post by BigLou »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BigLou wrote:Wow, that is beautiful! Looks a lot like Gargoyle's Quest for GameBoy....related?

Yes. All three games were developed by Capcom, and Demon's Crest is the third game in a loosely-connected series: (1) Gargoyle's Quest (GB); (2) Gargoyle's Quest II (NES); (3) Demon's Crest (SNES). The series is also somewhat related to Capcom's Ghouls n' Ghosts series (i.e., Ghosts 'n Goblins (ARC/GBC/NES/PSP), Ghouls 'n Ghosts (ARC/GEN), and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES), which, in turn, is related to Capcom's Maximo series (i.e., Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (PS2) and Max vs. The Army of Zin (PS2)). Firebrand, the main character in the Gargoyle's Quest series also makes appearances in other Capcom games (and even one SNK game!), and his most recent, playable appearances are in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos (ARC/XBOX) and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (ARC/PS3XBOX 360).

I hope that clears it up! :lol:

And THEN some, damn! :lol:

That all actually makes sense, I always thought there was a connecting thread between certain Capcom games/characters.
I think we have the PS2 versions, but I've never played them.

Thanks for the (wealth of) info! :)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BigLou wrote:Thanks for the (wealth of) info! :)

We have a lot of that here. You shoul get BoneSnapDeez started on the Ys series sometimes...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I had a really great run on Metal Storm last night. Got to the fifth stage with a healthy supply of lives but had to spend them all to get to the boss, and then I dodged wrong. But considering that's only the second time I've even done the fifth stage (and the first time getting to the boss) I'm pretty happy with that. I've got my password from beating the fourth stage ready to go and I'm going to push on (I wasn't saving passwords before).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:I had a really great run on Metal Storm last night. Got to the fifth stage with a healthy supply of lives but had to spend them all to get to the boss, and then I dodged wrong. But considering that's only the second time I've even done the fifth stage (and the first time getting to the boss) I'm pretty happy with that. I've got my password from beating the fourth stage ready to go and I'm going to push on (I wasn't saving passwords before).

I beat that game a few years ago. It is awesome.

I do hate to tell you this, however, the sixth boss is just insane. Good luck with that one. It tooks me hours to get past it. (The boss battle does have ships Bydo warships in the background, however, which is cool.)
BigLou
8-bit

Post by BigLou »

Speaking of insane/classic platformers, I've been trying to recall one that I used to love (and hate!) many years ago....
All I can remember about it these days is that I think it was supposed to be 'futuristic', and that you whipped enemies with your hair.
Oh, it also had some great music and a really neat intro. (??)

Come to think of it, there must be dozens of games that my time-addled mind can no longer recall, sigh...
BigLou
8-bit

Post by BigLou »

Cronozilla wrote:That's Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

Yay, thanks!! :D After all these years!

What an odd name, heh.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I had a really great run on Metal Storm last night. Got to the fifth stage with a healthy supply of lives but had to spend them all to get to the boss, and then I dodged wrong. But considering that's only the second time I've even done the fifth stage (and the first time getting to the boss) I'm pretty happy with that. I've got my password from beating the fourth stage ready to go and I'm going to push on (I wasn't saving passwords before).

I beat that game a few years ago. It is awesome.

I do hate to tell you this, however, the sixth boss is just insane. Good luck with that one. It tooks me hours to get past it. (The boss battle does have ships Bydo warships in the background, however, which is cool.)

That's the three head boss, right? I've got a strategy for him based on watching speedruns, but I'm sure the execution is much tighter than they make it look.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:That's the three head boss, right? I've got a strategy for him based on watching speedruns, but I'm sure the execution is much tighter than they make it look.

It is the three platforms that rotate around the room:

Its not too bad once you figure out the "rhythm" of the fight, but figuring it out and learning to execute it perfectly will likely take you quite a bit of time.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Holy shit, I was in the zone. I just blasted through Super Star Wars only taking three deaths before the X-Wing part. First was I got knocked off the second section of floating platforms by one of the birds and didn't fall correctly to land on the lower platforms. Second and third were dying at the first crusher in the prison block because I didn't realize you need to immediately roll/slide after it lifts up so you get to the end fast enough to jump out. Then in the X-Wing part I died once at the beginning (tried getting fancy with trying to kill stuff when I realized the best way was to just mash left and right while holding down the fire button) and second time was when I didn't do a good enough job of shooting down Vader's shots.

Up until now I kept dying in the sandcrawler at the lava part at the end; I'd keep trying to take a running jump and dying because the platforms drop off just slightly earlier than you think they do due to the perspective coupled with the delay before jumping. That part is really awful to try and recover in, because the large turrets from the ceiling are way too difficult to deal with using the blaster. This time I nailed the jumps and then I ended up being home free.