Conquering one of the most punishing platformers ever...

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
8bitkid

Conquering one of the most punishing platformers ever...

Post by 8bitkid »

When you think of "Difficult platform game", there are a lot of games that might pop up in your mind. Ghosts N Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese version) and perhaps some others are some worthy mentions. However, one that does not get mentioned enough is a game by the name of Gremlins 2: The New Batch for the Nintendo Gameboy. It's an interesting game, actually, despite being scathed by numerous critics for being nearly impossible to finish.

It avoids most of the loopholes that made a lot of platformers "unfair". The play control, to my belief, is spot on. It's especially needed, too, since precision jumping is the name of the game here. There is not an endless barrage of overly-powerful enemies at your face, either. Most of the villains can be destroyed by a few quick hits. You also have more than a few weapons that are actively at your disposal...the musical note is long-ranged, the boxing glove dispatches any enemies that are clustered together. However, your primary weapon, a pencil, must be retrieved before you can use it. It is nearly useless, and is incredibly short ranged. That's one of the handicaps I faced while playing the game. The second is murderous level design. A prime example is a certain jump in level 3, that appears as this...
----
-------- (Spring)

You have to time the jump EXACTLY right, and I mean EXACT. Right down to the exact position of Gizmo and the right amount of pressure on the button. This was a bit unexpected, and probably ended the game for most of its players. Some also felt the bosses were a bit difficult, and I must say I first felt the final boss (Spider Gremlin) was impossible without a cheating device. However, after about a month of practice, I mastered the entire game. To show this monster being crushed, I made a video showing how to master every tough sequence this game throws at you. I felt you run and jump fans might appreciate a bit of playing prowess, and this is one game that is hardly seen and has not had one of those videos proving full mastery of the game. I also hope you give this one a chance, especially those of us who have become especially familiar with all of the pits and the pendelums of the genre. Aside from being incredibly challenging, this game is often overshadowed by its NES cousin. Being a common game, I would recommend it for anyone wanted a true test of skill that doesn't involve hampered controls or cheap monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA6iSuo16B0
jfe2
Next-Gen

Re: Conquering one of the most punishing platformers ever...

Post by jfe2 »

Sunsoft made quite a few difficult platformers back in its heyday. That was an awesome read and the video was right up there with it! Gizmo FTW!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Well done, nice video.

Ivo.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't like games that are frustrating and extremely challenging
I think it turns games(fun activity) into work(exhausting activity )
8bitkid

Post by 8bitkid »

Thanks for your comments, guys! I might have to do an in-depth review of this game, so I know it like the back of my hand. Sunsoft was such a great company...I loved the Aero the Acrobat series. Although all of their platformers were difficult (Aero,Batman,Zero the Kamikaze squirrel), I'd have to say this is the most difficult one I've played through and finished.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nice work, man.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Yikes. I always liked the NES gremlins game.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

After watching it again, you make it look like an easy game... I really can't believe how good you are at it!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Great video! That was one of the 6 Gameboy games I used to own with my first gameboy. I remember it being insanely difficult. I even remember that spring section you mentioned. I only got past that part twice...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage