Sly Cooper

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Sly Cooper

Post by BoringSupreez »

Jrecee wrote:I'm getting annoyed with PS3 developers ditching their previous properties. Sucker punch doing infamous sequels instead of another sly. And especially Naughty Dog who just announced the 3RD uncharted game. Have they just given up on Jak and Daxter? In 2006 when the PS3 game out I said I'd get one as soon as Jak 4 came out. . . still waiting.

The same thing happened when Sony transitioned from PS1 to PS2. Naughty Dog ditched Crash Bandicoot, and Insomniac ditched Spyro the Dragon. It'll probably happen again when the PS4 comes out. At least Sony doing this keeps their exclusive series fresh, unlike Nintendo, who keeps releasing Zelda games that have used the same basic formula for the last 13 years now.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Well to be fair there's already been a ton of Jak and Daxter games, especially if you count PSP installments(though Naughty Dog didn't work on those). Naughty Dog really only cares about money though and the Uncharted series is a ridiculously huge success it seems(I have no idea why personally)

Personally, I'll take a Sly game over a Jak game any day of the week, but Jak and Daxter does have a pretty huge following. I'm guessing it isn't as profitable as another Uncharted game though
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I had Sly 2 growing up and now the Sly Collection on PS3. I have to say Sly 2 is by far the best of them, and that's not just nostalgia. Sly 1 is kind of an annoying slog at times, but if you really like the series it's worth playing. Sly 3 feels like a bad second-rate platformer not because its mechanics suck but because it distracts you from its (awesome) mechanics with a bunch of stupid minigames.

Sly 2, though...Awesome graphics, playful music, poignant story. And rock-solid stealth platforming. It's pretty unique. When you get up on those big towers, there's a real sense of height too. I think you'll enjoy the series a lot. Hoping Sly 4 is an improvement but this one's hard to top.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:I had Sly 2 growing up and now the Sly Collection on PS3. I have to say Sly 2 is by far the best of them, and that's not just nostalgia. Sly 1 is kind of an annoying slog at times, but if you really like the series it's worth playing. Sly 3 feels like a bad second-rate platformer not because its mechanics suck but because it distracts you from its (awesome) mechanics with a bunch of stupid minigames.

Sly 2, though...Awesome graphics, playful music, poignant story. And rock-solid stealth platforming. It's pretty unique. When you get up on those big towers, there's a real sense of height too. I think you'll enjoy the series a lot. Hoping Sly 4 is an improvement but this one's hard to top.

I like Sly 3 more than you do, but I agree that Sly 2 is excellent. For me, they're both roughly on par with eachother, but Sly 2 really laid down a lot of groundwork for Sly 3 so it is a pretty significant entry in the series. I remember playing Sly 2 on the Sly Collection after playing Sly 3 and being surprised at how well it holds up in comparison. They kind of hit their stride with Sly 2
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Gamerforlife wrote:
Valkyrie-Favor wrote:I had Sly 2 growing up and now the Sly Collection on PS3. I have to say Sly 2 is by far the best of them, and that's not just nostalgia. Sly 1 is kind of an annoying slog at times, but if you really like the series it's worth playing. Sly 3 feels like a bad second-rate platformer not because its mechanics suck but because it distracts you from its (awesome) mechanics with a bunch of stupid minigames.

I like Sly 3 more than you do, but I agree that Sly 2 is excellent. For me, they're both roughly on par with eachother, but Sly 2 really laid down a lot of groundwork for Sly 3 so it is a pretty significant entry in the series. I remember playing Sly 2 on the Sly Collection after playing Sly 3 and being surprised at how well it holds up in comparison. They kind of hit their stride with Sly 2

I think Sly 2 and Sly 3 are about equal. Sly 2 is very well designed and has great gameplay mechanics, but Sly 3 has a ton of variety. Sly 2 did have the better story, though.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I think the focus on Sly and his relationships with just a few characters in Sly 2 was a big deal, too. Sly 3 throws so many characters at you that it's hard to love them all, and Sly himself doesn't appear that much. Which makes me pretty sad, since he's my favorite talking animal.

Just started playing Sly 2 on PS3 today. Got through the first chapter in an hour. Memorization rocks!
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:I think the focus on Sly and his relationships with just a few characters in Sly 2 was a big deal, too. Sly 3 throws so many characters at you that it's hard to love them all, and Sly himself doesn't appear that much. Which makes me pretty sad, since he's my favorite talking animal.

Just started playing Sly 2 on PS3 today. Got through the first chapter in an hour. Memorization rocks!

We may see the Sly Collection joining Thieves in Time on the Vita

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.js ... rchkeyword

Keeping my fingers crossed.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: