rayman 1?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

rayman 1?

Post by RCBH928 »

I was reading an article about DS 3D , and it said that it might have a rayman 2 port.

Do you have any idea why is the 3D rayman being ported to every system (Nintendo 64, Windows, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Color, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Network, iOS)

While the original Rayman , didn't get as many ports and many are on systems that are are not popular today, Jaguar, MS-DOS, Gameboy Advanced.
DSiWare and PSN are the only places that you can play the games on current systems, i am not sure about Windows..

the 3D rayman is on Nintendo DS, PS2(still being sold), PSN, Windows, AND iOS!!

Isn't porting the 2D one easier?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: rayman 1?

Post by emwearz »

Most likely because the second outsold the first and was generally better received than the first as it was far more playable to a larger range of people.

Why port a game no one is going to play.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

There's also a 2d Rayman game coming out for dsiware...
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A lot of games been released or ported that were less than successful , Rayman is pretty much a popular videogames title, it should be well recieved.

Why , the original wasn't that good?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

kingmohd84 wrote:A lot of games been released or ported that were less than successful , Rayman is pretty much a popular videogames title, it should be well recieved.

Why , the original wasn't that good?

Its not a matter of a game being good, it didnt make ubisoft as much as the sequel, it was released in a time when 2D platformers were on the out.
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

Rayman no doubt is the game that has aged better but 2D mascots are not money makers anymore no matter how smart and good their games are.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I just picked up Rayman 1 for the PS1 and am loving it. I think it has aged well and is quite challenging.
Honestly I like it better than any of the sequels... but I am a retro gamer so that may be the reason I prefer the 2D version.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BakaTanuki
16-bit

Post by BakaTanuki »

Rayman 2 actually has a pretty strong following though- moreso than 1 I imagine.
http://insert-disc.com/
NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, DSlite, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I recently watched a video that featured Rayman and it got me interested in the game. Wasn't there a Saturn port of the game? I may look into getting it.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

jfe2 wrote:I recently watched a video that featured Rayman and it got me interested in the game. Wasn't there a Saturn port of the game? I may look into getting it.

There is Rayman for the Saturn (it was the version I played). It has some cool visual effects not present in the Playstation version apparently (don't know about the Jaguar).

For the fans of 2D Rayman, the GBA / N-Gage version of Rayman 3 is in 2D and a decent game.

Ivo.