Favourite 3d platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Auron_Amarth
16-bit

Re: Favourite 3d platformers?

Post by Auron_Amarth »

I love 3D platformers, one of my favorite genres after 2D platformers. The PSX/N64 era was the best for them. Some of my favorites would be:

Super Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Ape Escape
Spyro the Dragon

Anyone remember some of the lesser known games? Such as:

Jumping Flash!
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Jersey Devil

There are more I can't think of right now. Jumping Flash is first person perspective but it is still a 3D platformer. It came out even before Mario 64. Such an underrated series IMO.
Luftikus
8-bit

Post by Luftikus »

I also love 3D Plattformers. The best ones are clearly the Mario games (Mario Galaxy is so f+ucking good). Apart from that I really like Psychonauts. It cannot compete with Mario games in terms of level design or innovation, but it is so funny and the whole story is so great.
Another great 3D Platfromer was Voodoo Vince on the Xbox. A game I really enjoyed. Great story, great level design, great way to attack enemies.
Jack & Daxter I only liked the first one. 2+3 were to dark, to many weapons and so on. Platformers must be colorful and I prefer to kill enemies by jumping on their head.
Other great games that are worth to mention are Kya on PS2 and Billy Hatcher on the Gamecube.
I’m looking forward to the HD update of the Sly Cooper series on PS3.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

Steamgear Mash is pretty fun, but the bosses are bitches.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

slowslow325 wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:I have always had a special place in my heart for "Collect-A-Thon" 3D platformers; games where you must collect certain trinkets for accomplishing tasks, and getting a certain amount unlocks new levels. [i.e 3D Mario games, Banjo-Kazooie, Jak and Daxter, etc.]

PLAY DK64!

Also, DK64 is the best 3D platformer PERIOD

Woo! Donkey Kong 64! It's expansive, incredibly deep, absolutely beautiful, and downright fun. The Expansion Pak is put to very good use. Seeing the light reflect off the walls of Crystal Caves or the shadows of Creepy Castle is incredible. This, along with spot on controls, a half-decent story, varied gameplay, and instant saving (seriously, I couldn't believe it when I first did it) make this one of my favorite games of all time.

I also like all of the rest of Rare's platformers during the N64 era. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day are very good experiences that should not be passed up.

Also, Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/64 DS are very good. I've only played a little bit of Galaxy 2 at GameStop, but it seemed like more of the same from Nintendo.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

hm. I'm going to add inFAMOUS. Yeah I know the combat is basically a 3rd person shooter, but the getting around the city part involves a lot of platforming. Plus the sewer sections are taken right out of Sly Cooper (at least that is what people who've played SLy cooper keep telling me. I'll try those games when the Sly collection gets released on the PS3)

Also Banjo Kazzooie. Loved that game to death.

Crash Bandicoot 3, Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, on the other hand, are games I've actually played to death. I've beaten Crash 3 like 7 times, SA2B like 12 times, and SM64 over 20 times. Heck once I beat SM64 in a single day, non stop (like playing a Sonic game on the Mega Drive :P )
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Aside from the already mentioned great games like Rayman 2, Super Mario 64, Sly Cooper and the like, there are some others that I personally enjoyed immensely that others may not have heard of, or experienced.

The first goes into the 16-bit era with the great action adventure game, Landstalker. The world itself had a lot of interesting history, the characters were very like able and the Indiana Jones meets Medieval concept really struck a chord for fun. The platforming aspects were difficult, as the graphical capabilities of the game limited via the isometric view.

Another great game was Super Magnetic Neo for the Dreamcast. This game was HARD, giving you the 3-D platforming styles similar to the original Crash Bandicoot. I loved the style, the antics and all out whacky world that was there and had so much fun.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
the King
Next-Gen

Post by the King »

Gamerforlife wrote:
Conker's Bad Fur Day is another favorite, there's still no other platform game out there quite like Conker. It's surreal, clever and more obscene and foul mouthed than any other platformer I've ever played. Excellent movie parodies as well. Lastly, the graphics and sound were a real impressive use of the N64's hardware. You look at games like Conker and Resident Evil 2 to see what the system was really capable of
mes

one of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xu3Rd8dYQ
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

the King wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
Conker's Bad Fur Day is another favorite, there's still no other platform game out there quite like Conker. It's surreal, clever and more obscene and foul mouthed than any other platformer I've ever played. Excellent movie parodies as well. Lastly, the graphics and sound were a real impressive use of the N64's hardware. You look at games like Conker and Resident Evil 2 to see what the system was really capable of
mes

one of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xu3Rd8dYQ

See, that's the game at its best. When it's being hilarious without resorting to toilet humor. People so often bring up the singing, pile of poop when discussing the game's best moments. That scene right there is so much better and more clever.

Also, from a design standpoint, I LOVE when a game can work it's gameplay mechanics into the story. It helps create a world you can more easily buy into. Having this whole scene explain how extra lives work storywise is brilliant(the Maximo games did this too). No one ever explains why there are health items and explosive barrells everywhere in shooters and as I become a more jaded gamer with every passing year, that sort of thing bugs me.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

hashiriya1 wrote:Steamgear Mash is pretty fun, but the bosses are bitches.

How playable is this game for an non japanese speaker?
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

Sonic adventure 1&2
Rayman 2
Super mario Sunshine
Crash Bandicoot
--
Gennss
--