Favourite 3d platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Favourite 3d platformers?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Gamerforlife wrote:
the King wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Conker's Bad Fur Day is another favorite, there's still no other platform game out there quite like Conker. It's surreal, clever and more obscene and foul mouthed than any other platformer I've ever played. Excellent movie parodies as well. Lastly, the graphics and sound were a real impressive use of the N64's hardware. You look at games like Conker and Resident Evil 2 to see what the system was really capable of
mes
one of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xu3Rd8dYQ
See, that's the game at its best. When it's being hilarious without resorting to toilet humor. People so often bring up the singing, pile of poop when discussing the game's best moments. That scene right there is so much better and more clever.

Also, from a design standpoint, I LOVE when a game can work it's gameplay mechanics into the story. It helps create a world you can more easily buy into. Having this whole scene explain how extra lives work storywise is brilliant(the Maximo games did this too). No one ever explains why there are health items and explosive barrels everywhere in shooters and as I become a more jaded gamer with every passing year, that sort of thing bugs me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bloody Cats! Love Conker and Banjo!

How about Glover? I have been replaying a lot of N64 games lately. A bit of strategy needed in this one, some unique never been repeated gameplay moves. Bouncing the ball to climb steep steps, walking on the ball backwards, changing type of ball for a different approach and the tricky precise aimed shot. I like the N64 version better then the PSX release.

ImageImage
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Joostrevo
8-bit

Post by Joostrevo »

Crash bandicoot, Rayman 2, Sonic Adventure 2 and Jet Set Radio(If you can call it a platformer)
ConSOLES: Sega Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega Drive. Sony PS2, Ps1/X, PSP. Neo Geo Pocket Color
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I like quite a few 3D platformers. Besides the obvious mario games, I love all of these:

De Blob: This doesn't seem to have been played by many people I've met, but It's really good and very enjoyable, and the music and colours are wonderful. The sequels apparently gonna be multi-platform, so I hope it's still as good as the wii-only original. The multiplayer is pretty fun too, and reminds me of a platforming version of the Tony Hawks game graffiti.

dk64: It gets a lot of criticism for being a giant collectathon these days, but I personally have no issue with this. The worlds feel really interesting to explore, and switching between the kongs to access new areas is fun. I also really enjoyed the mini game barrels, another thing that seems to get a lot of flak now. In fact, I even loved the multiplayer with my friends.

Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg: This one is unique and fun, but has a few annoying flaws (the circus park level is proving frustratingly hard for me to beat because the egg I need to hatch keeps falling through the rails instead of rolling along them). However, the egg hatching mechanic is amusing, the range of moves at your disposal are fun to use and the multiplayer is surprisingly fun - I could play it all day. I actually find it surprising how many of these platformers have fun battle modes - they dont exactly lend themselves to it.

Sonic Jam - sure it only takes about 25 minutes or so, but I found the Sonic World mode of Sonic Jam to be a really fun set of missions. In fact, I enjoyed it much more than the entirety of the sonic adventure games - the camera viewpoint makes sonic run at a reasonable pace, if not exactly an astounding one, and also allow for a decent view of the world around him, which I always found an issue in later 3d sonics. Shame a proper game never made it to the saturn.

Theres a bunch of other 3D platformers I'd like to play more of, and I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about them.

I'd love to play more of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (which I only rented back in the day). Personally, I've never been taken by conker - the crude toilet humour just doesn't do it for me at all, and the platforming itself seems unremarkable. Another game I rented, but never played a whole lot of, was Treasures odd beat-em-up/platformer hybrid Wario World. I found it kind of awkward back then, but I wouldn't mind having another go sometime. I'd also like to try Epic Mickey and rabbids go home (which seems kinda questionable as a 3d platformer I suppose)for Wii, the Sly Cooper series on PS2, and goemon, maybe gex 64(is that 3d?) and especially Rocket: Robot on Wheels for N64.

Rocket seemed to get amazing reviews aroudn the time, and It always looked really interesting. Any one who can recommend this (or any of the games I listed above?)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

alienjesus wrote:
De Blob: This doesn't seem to have been played by many people I've met, but It's really good and very enjoyable, and the music and colours are wonderful. The sequels apparently gonna be multi-platform, so I hope it's still as good as the wii-only original. The multiplayer is pretty fun too, and reminds me of a platforming version of the Tony Hawks game graffiti.

it also has a very fun multiplayer mode. :D
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

alienjesus wrote:De Blob: This doesn't seem to have been played by many people I've met, but It's really good and very enjoyable, and the music and colours are wonderful. The sequels apparently gonna be multi-platform, so I hope it's still as good as the wii-only original. The multiplayer is pretty fun too, and reminds me of a platforming version of the Tony Hawks game graffiti.
D platformers I'd like to play more of, and I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about them.

It's not Wii only. It's also on the PC. In fact, it's free on the PC. It was originally a student PC game project that they later ported to the Wii.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

J T wrote:
alienjesus wrote:De Blob: This doesn't seem to have been played by many people I've met, but It's really good and very enjoyable, and the music and colours are wonderful. The sequels apparently gonna be multi-platform, so I hope it's still as good as the wii-only original. The multiplayer is pretty fun too, and reminds me of a platforming version of the Tony Hawks game graffiti.
D platformers I'd like to play more of, and I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about them.

It's not Wii only. It's also on the PC. In fact, it's free on the PC. It was originally a student PC game project that they later ported to the Wii.

Its not a port, its a similar but different game. It is however based on the same property, the student sold the rights to the game to THQ/Blue Tongue, who did a fantastic job making the game, unlike many other THQ games. It does have the same name, but so do sonic the hedgehog on SMS and mega drive and 360, and Bionic Commando on NES and 360, and many others and I'd count them as different games too. Theres definetely a lot in common though, and playing the PC game might give people a good idea if theyed enjoy the console release.

Anyone who's a fan of the PC de Blob might like to check out Swords and Soldiers on Wiiware, which is made by a company comprised of many of the students who made the original de blob. It's a totally different genre (its a 2d RTS) but it's similarly fun, and very well made.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I stand corrected then. I guess I shouldn't be a know-it-all when I haven't played the Wii version. :oops:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

Rayman 2 is a personal favorite, it has such a strange style to it. Just haven't beat it yet, because though I'm totally addicted to games, i'm not any good.
--
Gennss
--
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I dont think I mentioned this one yet but I always love Tail Concerto from Atlus. It took me forever to find a copy, but who cant love a quirky game starring a cat police officer :mrgreen:
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

To me, 2d platformers and 3d platformers are two different categories entirely, and these days they all seem to be hybrids (like action-platformers, rpg-platformers, puzzle-platformers, etc.)

Clearly, there are the famous titles that everyone would agree are great all around games, such as these series: mario, donkey kong, rayman, sonic, kid icarus, sly cooper, ratchet and clank, and little big planet...to name a few, but I think what most people are interested in (at least those who are already familiar with gaming) are the lesser-known titles. Unfortunately, these are always more subjective, they dont have a long series to follow, and they may have only come out for a few (or just one) console.

Some of my personal favorites are the mario series, the donkey kong series, conker, psychnauts, little big planet 1 and 2, sly cooper (all), voodoo vince, and nyxquest. I have found that the NES and SNES are geenrally best for 2-d platformers, and N64 and the original xbox are the best for 3-d platformers...but I will give props to ps3 since they have both little big planet games, the whole sly cooper series on one disc, and they are backwards compatible.