Crash Bandicoot

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

What is your favorite Crash platform game?

Crash Bandicoot
16%
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
19%
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
52%
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
6%
Crash Twinsanity
No votes
Crash of the Titans
6%
Crash: Mind over Mutant
No votes

Total votes: 31

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Crash Bandicoot

Post by ZeroAX »

In my early teen years I wanted an N64. And I wanted it BAD. Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazzooie, Yoshi's Story (yes I liked it.....at the time), Donkey Kong 64, all those great platform games, I just loved them, and I just HAD to have them.

But then I saw a game I had never actually given any attention to. Crash Bandicoot 3 : Warped. Suddenly I didn't care for all those other games. This game was so awesome I didn't care about buying the N64.

Ok mind you, in the end I bought neither and instead got a gaming PC which managed to emulate both so ha-ha, but anyway I loved that game.

The Crash series to me solved a major problem with 3D platform games. You didn't have to copy Mario 64. Yes it was a masterpiece. Yes exploring while jumping around is super fun.

But having an obstacle course (that's how I always considered the corridor platform genre) is really fun itself as well. And some games just work better one way or the other. Heck even Super Mario copied the obstacle course design, with its special stages in Sunshine, and most of the Galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy. And you know what? It is still fun.

Heck I still think, the closest Sega ever came to making 3D sonic work, was with Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic and Shadow parts) which had the same corridor platform gameplay (if only they had fewer bottomless pits and grind sections)

So I love Crash 3, and I found Crash 2 to be very good as well, but not as much as the 3rd one. I also always liked the humour, how every time you die, depending on the enemy, it's a different death animation.

Crash 1 was kind of too hard for me. Blame it on the stupid no save when you want it "mechanic". Plus the level design ain't as good as in the later 2 games, and of course not as original settings.

Then naughty dog was bought by Sony, and apparently the deal didn't include the Crash franchise, which stayed with Universal. and it ripped it a new one. The Wrath of Cortex was average at best, and after trying Crash of the Titans, I found that the franchise has gotten much worse, to the point that I count Wrath of Cortex as one of the good games in the series.

I've heard that the GBA crash games are kind of good, but I have never actually tried them (45€ for a franchise past its prime was too much of an asking price)

Anyway anyone else here likes Crash? And which is your favourite Crash console game?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
benderx
Next-Gen

Re: Crash Bandicoot

Post by benderx »

im pretty sure you can save CB1.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

benderx wrote:im pretty sure you can save CB1.

yes you can but only after boss battles, OR by collecting the 3 secret tokens in a stage. I'm crap at finding the tokens, and getting to a boss with limited lives in the later stages of the game is hard.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Voted Crash Warped, for the variety of gameplay.
Though not platform, shoulda included in the vote.
Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash, both great games!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

CRTGAMER wrote:Voted Crash Warped, for the variety of gameplay.
Though not platform, shoulda included in the vote.
Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash, both great games!

yes but as you said, not platform games, which would be outside both the genre sub-forum, and the franchise. imo Mario Kart and Super Mario are different game series with the same branding. Likewise Crash racing and Bash, even though they are good games, they are not in the same series as the crash bandicoot games imo.
(-_-)
64-bit

Post by (-_-) »

Crash Bandicoot 3 was one of the first games I had for playstation when I was a kid. I loved that game so much. The amount of stuff to collect and the challenge in attaining it felt so satisfying. The gameplay and environments were so colorful and varied that it never got boring. I wish Sony had kept Crash.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

ZeroAX wrote:In my early teen years I wanted an N64. And I wanted it BAD. Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazzooie, Yoshi's Story (yes I liked it.....at the time), Donkey Kong 64, all those great platform games, I just loved them, and I just HAD to have them.

But then I saw a game I had never actually given any attention to. Crash Bandicoot 3 : Warped. Suddenly I didn't care for all those other games. This game was so awesome I didn't care about buying the N64.

Ok mind you, in the end I bought neither and instead got a gaming PC which managed to emulate both so ha-ha, but anyway I loved that game.

The Crash series to me solved a major problem with 3D platform games. You didn't have to copy Mario 64. Yes it was a masterpiece. Yes exploring while jumping around is super fun.

But having an obstacle course (that's how I always considered the corridor platform genre) is really fun itself as well. And some games just work better one way or the other. Heck even Super Mario copied the obstacle course design, with its special stages in Sunshine, and most of the Galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy. And you know what? It is still fun.

Heck I still think, the closest Sega ever came to making 3D sonic work, was with Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic and Shadow parts) which had the same corridor platform gameplay (if only they had fewer bottomless pits and grind sections)

So I love Crash 3, and I found Crash 2 to be very good as well, but not as much as the 3rd one. I also always liked the humour, how every time you die, depending on the enemy, it's a different death animation.

Crash 1 was kind of too hard for me. Blame it on the stupid no save when you want it "mechanic". Plus the level design ain't as good as in the later 2 games, and of course not as original settings.

Then naughty dog was bought by Sony, and apparently the deal didn't include the Crash franchise, which stayed with Universal. and it ripped it a new one. The Wrath of Cortex was average at best, and after trying Crash of the Titans, I found that the franchise has gotten much worse, to the point that I count Wrath of Cortex as one of the good games in the series.

I've heard that the GBA crash games are kind of good, but I have never actually tried them (45€ for a franchise past its prime was too much of an asking price)

Anyway anyone else here likes Crash? And which is your favourite Crash console game?

Believe it or not, when I was a kid and I owned an N64, I was actually jealous of the Playstation kids for having games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. There was only one kid in the entire school who owned a Saturn, though, and I remember feeling sorry for him, because when he tried to talk about games, no one knew what he was talking about.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

lisalover1 wrote:Believe it or not, when I was a kid and I owned an N64, I was actually jealous of the Playstation kids for having games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. There was only one kid in the entire school who owned a Saturn, though, and I remember feeling sorry for him, because when he tried to talk about games, no one knew what he was talking about.

haha. Would love to see how that turned out

"you guys saw Ocarina of time? Cool.
Yeah but playstation has Metal Gear Solid. ooooh
Saturn has Panzer Dragoon Orta and zwei. everyone looks at him with the "he is a freak" look"

Always feel sad for those people who bought the wrong console (looks at self and his gamecube)
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I loved the Naughty Dog games, for awhile Crash was the unofficial mascot for Sony, but when the 128bit consoles rolled out Platformers were not that important (comapred to what they were in the generation before) so in that respect I dont think he was as missed as there 'mascot' as he should have been.

Everything made after ND was garbage.

I only have number 2 at the moment, they are getting quite pricey.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I enjoyed the Crash Bandicoot series until after Wrath of Cortex where the quality of games declined. Great games on the Playstation classic platforming. :)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection