Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by ZeroAX Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:42 am

final fight cd wrote: but since you hate every other platerformer besides mario and sonic you probably won't like it.


hahahhahaha. come on guys I don't hate every other platformer.

I've loved megaman, metal slug, kirby, ristar Earthworm Jim Alladin (mega drive) ect. ect.


I just can't find a really good head jumping game.

BTW I tried the GBA klonoa game the other day and really liked it. But no head jumping :P
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by J T Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:32 pm

I wasn't aware that there was a GBA Klonoa, but the PS and PS2 versions are some of the finest examples of platforming out there. Perfect level design where the gems you pick up guide you to the the best lines for jumping and running through the levels at high speed. I love that in a platformer.

There are a few others to check out.

NES
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
Cool Spot
Gargoyle's Quest
Mr. Gimmick
Rygar
Wizards & Warriors

Man, there aren't as many pure platforming games as I thought there were from back then. In most of them you have some sort of gun or other weaon. Even the ones I mention here aren't as basic as jump-on-head-to-attack.

Here's a few free flash/downloadable games to try out as well (don't worry, your PC can handle these even if you don't have a gaming PC):

Fancy Pants Adventures

Knytt
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Pingfa
64-bit
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Pingfa Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:11 am

Do my eyes deceive me or has nobody mentioned Flink?

I'll also second:

Aladdin
Castle of Illusion
Mr. Gimmick
Rolo to the Rescue
Ufouria
Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel

You might also like Addam's Family. It's no classic, but it's one of the better platformers out there.
User avatar
GSZX1337
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5805
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Madison, TN

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by GSZX1337 Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 am

Try out the Great Giana Sisters. It's so close to Super Mario Bros. Nintendo took legal action against Rainbow Arts Software.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
User avatar
Jrecee
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Jrecee Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 am

You can download my game, Super Claire World. It's somewhat half-assed and you'll beat it in 30 minutes, but it involves head jumping (and cockatiel shooting)

http://create-games.com/download.asp?id=7780
User avatar
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Snickerd00dle Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 pm

After reading through this I will agree, he doesn't really want anything that isnt first party sega or nintendo
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Gamerforlife Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Snickerd00dle wrote:After reading through this I will agree, he doesn't really want anything that isnt first party sega or nintendo


Well it's all a matter of opinion, but I think when the majority of titles in a genre don't appeal to someone it seems to me that that person is not really a fan of the genre. I can name a few first person or third person shooters I have enjoyed, but most of them leave me cold and I would never call myself a shooter fan

Now Ack is a hardcore survival horror fan. I know in one topic he even showed some interest in a particular survival horror game even after being told it sucks because as he put it, even a bad survival horror game has something to offer him. That's kind of how I am with beat'em ups and platformers
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by ZeroAX Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
Snickerd00dle wrote:After reading through this I will agree, he doesn't really want anything that isnt first party sega or nintendo


Well it's all a matter of opinion, but I think when the majority of titles in a genre don't appeal to someone it seems to me that that person is not really a fan of the genre. I can name a few first person or third person shooters I have enjoyed, but most of them leave me cold and I would never call myself a shooter fan

Now Ack is a hardcore survival horror fan. I know in one topic he even showed some interest in a particular survival horror game even after being told it sucks because as he put it, even a bad survival horror game has something to offer him. That's kind of how I am with beat'em ups and platformers


A) I like many platformers other than Mario Sonic DK, thing is I was looking specially for a head jumping game as I described, and didn't find a good one among the first pages (didn't try those in the last few pages).

B) Nope got to disagree. Loving comedies doesn't mean I'll watch every single one. Likewise with platform games. I'll play a level and if it doesn't keep me interested I give up on it.



That being said I'm playing Klonoa on the GBA right now, and it's one of the best puzzle platformers I've ever played. Is the PS1/Wii remake game this good as well?
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Snickerd00dle Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:20 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
Snickerd00dle wrote:After reading through this I will agree, he doesn't really want anything that isnt first party sega or nintendo


Well it's all a matter of opinion, but I think when the majority of titles in a genre don't appeal to someone it seems to me that that person is not really a fan of the genre. I can name a few first person or third person shooters I have enjoyed, but most of them leave me cold and I would never call myself a shooter fan

Now Ack is a hardcore survival horror fan. I know in one topic he even showed some interest in a particular survival horror game even after being told it sucks because as he put it, even a bad survival horror game has something to offer him. That's kind of how I am with beat'em ups and platformers


A) I like many platformers other than Mario Sonic DK, thing is I was looking specially for a head jumping game as I described, and didn't find a good one among the first pages (didn't try those in the last few pages).

B) Nope got to disagree. Loving comedies doesn't mean I'll watch every single one. Likewise with platform games. I'll play a level and if it doesn't keep me interested I give up on it.



That being said I'm playing Klonoa on the GBA right now, and it's one of the best puzzle platformers I've ever played. Is the PS1/Wii remake game this good as well?


i have heard decent things about it, and not to dog on you, I just got that impression because I felt like most of your dislikes were because they weren't Mario or Sonic, but to each his own
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Looking for a great platform game to play, please help.

by Gamerforlife Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:55 pm

Yeah, to each his own. I still think he's kind of picky though :lol:

I think the Klonia games are all pretty similar from what I've read on them. I've played the PS1 original and the one on the PS2 and I enjoyed them a lot, but like I said, they were pretty similar to eachother
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to Platformers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests