Any love for Alex Kidd?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Xonticus
128-bit

Re: Any love for Alex Kidd?

Post by Xonticus »

Personally, I've only liked Miracle World, the other ones seemed to deviate from the original that I played, and not in a good way. To me, the Genesis one is a crap attempt at re-making Miracle World and I could not take any enjoyment out of it.

That being said, I say everyone should track down a ROM version of every one and try them for yourselves. Also, delete those ROMs within 24hours :-)
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

alienjesus wrote:I absolutely love miracle world (enough that I calim its a better platformer than the original mario bros - yeah, I went there).

I've always said this - considering the original Mario Bros. was the competition at the time. I've always considered Alex Kidd in Miracle World to be far and away the better game.
I wouldn't go as far to say it's better than Super Mario Bros. 3, though (that's somebody else's funeral :))

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is a neat game too

I've only played Lost Stars briefly and didn't like it much - the graphics are yucky

I played a few levels of Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle for the Genesis and thought it was an adequate platformer, but I definitely prefer Miracle World from what I played of the Genesis game.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

Glad to see there are other Alex Kidd fans. I guess it's mostly nostalgia for me, but I still think they are great games and I play them every so often.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

this thread made me order Miracle World and Lost Stars just now off of ebay
Riqz85
64-bit

Post by Riqz85 »

I remember every single song from miracle world. It was built into my master system 2 when I was a kid (i still own it) and i remember everything from the game.

It does bring back bad memories too though ahah. I remember that game over tune like a nightmare. I would cry so hard after hours of gameplay to die inside the second castle.

And I mean cry so bad!! That's the main reason my mother thought videogames made me angry.

Great great game. So great I want to tattoo alex kidd on my arm sooner or later.
TabJSR

Post by TabJSR »

The Alex Kidd series was a fair series at best. The series was way ahead of its time, similar to Phantasy Star, and it didn't really generate a huge sprawling world-wide phenomenon like Mario and Sonic had. The Alex Kidd games, from what I remember, were open-ended platforming games, rather than linear platforming games.

In the Alex Kidd series, you could enter buildings and explore non-linear levels. They were almost like side-scrolling sandbox games. Well, at least Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle was like a sandbox game. You could: buy items, attack enemies, hunt for cash, and use vehicles. There were even mini-games scattered around the world.

I hadn't played any of the games in that series very much, and I actually hadn't played one until: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. The games in the series have somewhat become: "cult classics". I do agree, though, that the games were fun and addictive.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

TabJSR wrote:The Alex Kidd series was a fair series at best. The series was way ahead of its time, similar to Phantasy Star, and it didn't really generate a huge sprawling world-wide phenomenon like Mario and Sonic had. The Alex Kidd games, from what I remember, were open-ended platforming games, rather than linear platforming games.

In the Alex Kidd series, you could enter buildings and explore non-linear levels. They were almost like side-scrolling sandbox games.

Which Alex Kidd games were you playing? They're ALL linear.

Enchanted Castle is not really an Alex Kidd game, it was a Japanese girls game called "Anmitsu Hime" with modified sprites for the overseas versions.
Riqz85
64-bit

Post by Riqz85 »

hashiriya1 wrote:
TabJSR wrote:The Alex Kidd series was a fair series at best. The series was way ahead of its time, similar to Phantasy Star, and it didn't really generate a huge sprawling world-wide phenomenon like Mario and Sonic had. The Alex Kidd games, from what I remember, were open-ended platforming games, rather than linear platforming games.

In the Alex Kidd series, you could enter buildings and explore non-linear levels. They were almost like side-scrolling sandbox games.

Which Alex Kidd games were you playing? They're ALL linear.

Enchanted Castle is not really an Alex Kidd game, it was a Japanese girls game called "Anmitsu Hime" with modified sprites for the overseas versions.

Well let's say MOSTLY linear. The castle levels actually weren't linear in Miracle World. You had to go exploring sometimes!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I played the first one and I wouldn't say it is better gameplay than Super Mario. It is technically superior and the vehicles are cool but the handling doesn't feel as "right". I dislike the boss fights with RPS as well.

IMO it is a nice game, not a great one. If you remade it it wouldn't do that well. The remakes of Super Mario Bros hold up well.

Ivo.