Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
User avatar
Godot102
64-bit
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Godot102 Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:30 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Godot102 wrote:I could never get all the emeralds in sonic 2, that last emerald stage was really annoying..


Pro tip: kick Tails out of your party, play as Sonic solo. The emerald stages become bearable then.


True. Tails always got in the way during the special stages. The only real benefit to having tails is doing the player-2 trick on the bosses.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by ZeroAX Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:32 am

Godot102 wrote: The only real benefit to having tails is doing the player-2 trick on the bosses.


Well if you have a second person who's good at the game, he can also help with the emerald stages
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Ivo Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 am

Godot102 wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:
Godot102 wrote:I could never get all the emeralds in sonic 2, that last emerald stage was really annoying..


Pro tip: kick Tails out of your party, play as Sonic solo. The emerald stages become bearable then.


True. Tails always got in the way during the special stages. The only real benefit to having tails is doing the player-2 trick on the bosses.


I don't remember it that way. With a 2nd player that knows how to play it helps, and I think that Tails doesn't lose rings when hit also in the bonus levels. Am I mis-remembering?

Ivo.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by ZeroAX Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Ivo wrote:I don't remember it that way. With a 2nd player that knows how to play it helps, and I think that Tails doesn't lose rings when hit also in the bonus levels. Am I mis-remembering?

Ivo.


I think he was talking about the AI controlling Tails, and oh believe you me Tails DOES lose rings in the emerald stages...

And of course no mention of Tails could be said without this comic...

Image
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Xeogred Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 am

Tails is hit or miss. On one hand he can help you grab more rings, on the other, yeah he gets hit a lot. Honestly I'm not sure if I've ever gotten all Emeralds with him throughout the years.

But yeah, as fun as it is getting the Emerald's in the Sonic games, Super Sonic just kind of breaks the game. It's not horrible when these games are so short and replayable, but in general yeah I think they're more fun without the ability. That or sometimes I'd try to make sure I don't get the Emeralds until near the very end.

I still think 2 is the hardest one for me in getting all the Emeralds.
User avatar
Breetai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5100
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Make you humble in Canada

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Breetai Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Xeogred wrote:I still think 2 is the hardest one for me in getting all the Emeralds.

I've gotten them all, but yeah, it is a major pain. I don't enjoy it. Sonic 2 is by far the worst to get all the emeralds in.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Xeogred Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Yup, there's always like ONE stage for one of the last Emerald's or two where I sometimes get completely stuck. And if I remember right, unlike all the other Sonic's that have the special stages "rotate" if you fail one, Sonic 2 forces you to replay the same one over and over again until you beat it. That makes it extra frustrating, lol.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by ZeroAX Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Xeogred wrote:Yup, there's always like ONE stage for one of the last Emerald's or two where I sometimes get completely stuck. And if I remember right, unlike all the other Sonic's that have the special stages "rotate" if you fail one, Sonic 2 forces you to replay the same one over and over again until you beat it. That makes it extra frustrating, lol.


On the contrary, I think that helps. It's easier to memorize the stage and avoid making the same mistake.

I think its biggest problem is that skill alone isn't enough to beat it. No matter how good your reflexes are, if you are going up on a slope with some bombs on the top good luck avoiding them
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Godot102
64-bit
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by Godot102 Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am

I actually kinda like that it doesn't cycle through the special stages, it forces you to get them in order. Its annoying to fail a special stage and then have to go through all of the other ones in order to get a second shot at the one you messed up on.
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

by BoringSupreez Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:55 am

I usually avoid getting all the emeralds. I go for six, just for the challenge, but stop there. Super Sonic makes the game too easy.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Return to Platformers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests