Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive games?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone else avoid going Super Sonic in the Mega Drive ga

Post by ZeroAX »

WallCrusher wrote:My post mentioned Sonic 2, but it pretty much refers to all of the classic Sonic games. I consider myself fairly capable when it comes to the special stages for Sonic 1, 3, & Knuckles, but Sonic 2's... yeesh. I'll pass.

Sonic 2's are at least enjoyable. Sonic 1's are just annoying (and kind of random). At least that's how I feel
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

ZeroAX wrote:
WallCrusher wrote:My post mentioned Sonic 2, but it pretty much refers to all of the classic Sonic games. I consider myself fairly capable when it comes to the special stages for Sonic 1, 3, & Knuckles, but Sonic 2's... yeesh. I'll pass.

Sonic 2's are at least enjoyable. Sonic 1's are just annoying (and kind of random). At least that's how I feel

Sonic 2's special stages are infinitely easier with a competent friend controlling Tails
Tempest
16-bit

Post by Tempest »

I definitely enjoy playing the Sonic games without transforming into Super Sonic. Like most have said, Super/Hyper Sonic removes the challenge from the game. It's a cool novelty when you first get all of the emeralds and get to play as him, but over the years Super Sonic has worn out his welcome, especially with the horribly repetative music. At least you can avoid going Super/Hyper Sonic in S3&K.

Sonic 2 is the only Sonic game where I've not gotten all of the emeralds legitimately (although I might have once - it's a bit foggy).
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

Sonic 2's special stages are infinitely easier with a competent friend controlling Tails

I think you are quoting the wrong person :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Ive actually managed to get 5 of the 7 emeralds before leaving emerald hill zone. Sonic 1 on the other hand, you have to beat 6 of the 12 levels with 50 rings in hand, then actually beat the fairly difficult special stages. Dont think ive ever done it. The later games gave you a much better chance of actually accessing the special stages at least.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ZeroAX wrote:

All of the special stages in the old Sonic games are really just tech-demos that Sega weaseled in to show off nifty graphical tricks when you think about it, knowing the Sonic games would be popular and a lot of people to see them.

Sonic 1's stages were designed almost entirely to combat the Mode 7 rotation effects of the SNES. It's not true rotation but it was still only created so Sega could say, "Look, we can do that too!" Sonic 2, 3&K and especially Genesis 3D Blast's special stages were also made to resemble Mode 7'ish graphics.

Sonic CD's special stages, thanks to the Sega CD hardware, went a step further by actually doing basically the same thing as Mode 7 on the SNES. The Knuckles Chaotix special stages were designed to show off the muscle of the 32X by using polygons.

I always thought this was kind of cool, anyway.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Gunstar Green wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

All of the special stages in the old Sonic games are really just tech-demos that Sega weaseled in to show off nifty graphical tricks when you think about it, knowing the Sonic games would be popular and a lot of people to see them.

Sonic 1's stages were designed almost entirely to combat the Mode 7 rotation effects of the SNES. It's not true rotation but it was still only created so Sega could say, "Look, we can do that too!" Sonic 2, 3&K and especially Genesis 3D Blast's special stages were also made to resemble Mode 7'ish graphics.

Sonic CD's special stages, thanks to the Sega CD hardware, went a step further by actually doing basically the same thing as Mode 7 on the SNES. The Knuckles Chaotix special stages were designed to show off the muscle of the 32X by using polygons.

I always thought this was kind of cool, anyway.

That... actually makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it that way.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Gunstar Green wrote:Sonic 1's stages were designed almost entirely to combat the Mode 7 rotation effects of the SNES. It's not true rotation but it was still only created so Sega could say, "Look, we can do that too!

Those stages resemble the earlier scaler technology used by Sega arcade games like OutRun or Space Harrier and tie in the whole "The Megadrive is the console for arcade goers" that started with Altered Beast rather than emulating later, in my opinion lesser, attemps by a rival company when it comes to 2.5D technology.

Remember than Space Harrier II uses that kind of graphics and was a launch title. The SNES wouldn't be sold until two years after the fact.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm aware of the earlier "super scaler"-style games and know I'm reaching and just randomly speculating with Sonic 2 and 3 but Sonic 1's rotating stages were a clear jab at the Mode 7 hype.