Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by BoringSupreez Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Sonic 1: Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1 is the Sonic game for Genesis I have played the least. Never gotten past zone 3 or 4.)

Sonic 2: Metropolis Zone. I liked the ramped-up difficulty and music.

Sonic CD: Stardust Speedway. The level was super-fast, the music was great for both the level and the boss (at least in the American soundtrack, the Japanese version dropped the ball here), and the race against Metal Sonic was one of the most memorable bosses in the series.

Sonic 3: Launch Base zone. The music was good, and it was the most challenging part of Sonic 3 (which isn't saying much.)

Sonic and Knuckles: Mushroom Hill Zone. For some reason, I just don't like S&K as much as the others. I don't even know why, but it just seems less fun.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
Jrecee
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by Jrecee Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Tempest wrote:For the people questioning the water in Carnival Night Zone, it's there as part of the story - remember the Death Egg sunk Angel Island into the ocean, so the island's low-lying levels are partially beneath sea-level. Once the Death Egg takes off at the end of Launch Base, the island rises enough out of the sea so that levels thereonwards are no longer underwater. Plus, the S&K levels take part in the central part of the island.


But it's a game. And the water sucked. So they should have ignored the geography and physics of a magical island inhabited by talking echidnas and chaos emeralds and put making fun levels first.
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by BoringSupreez Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Jrecee wrote:
Tempest wrote:For the people questioning the water in Carnival Night Zone, it's there as part of the story - remember the Death Egg sunk Angel Island into the ocean, so the island's low-lying levels are partially beneath sea-level. Once the Death Egg takes off at the end of Launch Base, the island rises enough out of the sea so that levels thereonwards are no longer underwater. Plus, the S&K levels take part in the central part of the island.


But it's a game. And the water sucked. So they should have ignored the geography and physics of a magical island inhabited by talking echidnas and chaos emeralds and put making fun levels first.

Yes. Non-story games like that should have the game made first, and then try to fit some story into it.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14371
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by Xeogred Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:
Jrecee wrote:
Tempest wrote:For the people questioning the water in Carnival Night Zone, it's there as part of the story - remember the Death Egg sunk Angel Island into the ocean, so the island's low-lying levels are partially beneath sea-level. Once the Death Egg takes off at the end of Launch Base, the island rises enough out of the sea so that levels thereonwards are no longer underwater. Plus, the S&K levels take part in the central part of the island.


But it's a game. And the water sucked. So they should have ignored the geography and physics of a magical island inhabited by talking echidnas and chaos emeralds and put making fun levels first.

Yes. Non-story games like that should have the game made first, and then try to fit some story into it.

I think the bigger issue here is that those stages had some of the worst music that's ever graced the Genesis. Thank god I think Ice Cap came afterwards to rinse that away.
User avatar
Sideroller
128-bit
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:25 am
Location: PA

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by Sideroller Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Lava Reef is probably my all time favorite of all the Sonic games. The final boss for that Zone is just pure awesome.

I have to agree with pretty much everyone elses opinions for Sonic 2 and 3. I can't STAND Carnival Nights zone - the one in Sonic 2 is better by a little simply because there is no water or stupid floating drums. But what pisses me off in Sonic 2's casino stage is whenever I use the slot machines and get robotniks everytime I freaking use them! SOO frustrating.

Sonic 1 is probably my least favorite. I loathe Labyrinth Zone with a passion...getting through that was such an ordeal and then having to do it again in the final Zone? Ugh. It's definitely one of the most challenging games in the series next to the Metropolis Zone in 2.

I could go on and on...

And yeah I hated 2nd Stage Sandopolis - I'd always get stuck on those sand slides!
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14371
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

by Xeogred Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm

I've run through Sonic CD, 1, and 2 recently... just thinking of Lava Reef ALONE gets me goosebumps to go back and play S&K. I might do that tonight and play it along with Sonic 3, even if I prefer S&K over it by far, it's always fun to play through them like one huge game.
Return to Platformers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest