Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Sonic Levels (Genesis era)

Post by ZeroAX »

delete this post
Last edited by ZeroAX on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Pingfa wrote:
By the way, has anyone ever got all the emeralds in Sonic 2 with Sonic & Tails together? For the longest time I found them near impossible until I thought to play Sonic alone... then I found it rather easy.
[

Nope. Tails is a HUGE pain. He lags very much, and specially in the last 3 emeralds you need real fast jumping to get as many rings as possible and to avoid the bombs, and he fails miserably at both. BUT it's even easier in co-op mode with a friend controlling tails.

Also:

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Assman
24-bit

Post by Assman »

I've done it, although the last time I tried I ended up restarting the game as Sonic alone before getting through Chemical Plant. It's possible, just... fuck you, Tails.
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

Starlight Zone was dreamy :P
Thanks everyone...
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Well the Sonic Marathon was a failure. I didn't have time to play Sonic 3&K. Oh well when I get back I'll beat it.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Pingfa wrote:I'm just a little rusty is all. =-d I was probably tired by that time - I hadn't slept for over a day before I went to sleep the day before.

I'm rather tired now as well so no Sonic for the moment, but I'll start it up again when I'm well rested.

By the way, has anyone ever got all the emeralds in Sonic 2 with Sonic & Tails together? For the longest time I found them near impossible until I thought to play Sonic alone... then I found it rather easy.
Jrecee wrote:Flying battery was supposed to be in Sonic 3. This was before sonic 3 and s&k were split up into separate games. It's on the Sonic 3 level select screen, along with Sandopolis and "mushroom valley"

Oh, I figured it'd be Sonic & Knuckles you were talking about seeing as to my recollection it is the only half of the game with continuity between levels - is that wrong?

There were cut scenes between all the levels in Sonic 3 too. Knuckles breaks the bridge and sonic falls into Hydro City; Sonic burrows through the snow then pops out of snow in launch base, etc.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

^Ah, so there is. Not sure why I thought otherwise. I completed S3&K with all emeralds this year so I should really remember more about it.

Anyhow, I completed Sonic the Hedgehog with all emeralds yesterday. Was a pretty good session, I think, and the last boss didn't give me any trouble. I still think the first game is a fair contender for best Sonic game, but boss battles are definitely much improved in later games.
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

I've always liked Oil Ocean for some reason.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Finally finished my "marathon" yesterday. Sonic 3&K is a pain to beat in 1 seating. But broken save chip in Sonic 3 :(.

Anyway was I noticed is, that apart from Ice Cap and Launch Base zone, sonic3's levels are absolute crap. As someone else said in the thread who the fuck thought that water belonged in the Carnival Night zone. as if the drums weren't bad enough.

We've already talked about the horrors of marble garden zone. Hydrocity is actually an ok stage, specially for a water stage, since you can avoid the water most of the time.

What I noticed for the first time is that Angel Island zone sucks as well. The graphics are horrible, like someone was too lazy to make something appealing to the eye, and when it burns up it becomes even uglier. The only good part was the boss at the waterfall.

S&K on the other hand rocks :D:D:D. only one ok zone (sandapolis) and 4.5 zones of great awesomeness.

Hm. perhaps it's time to beat Sonic CD. I didn't like it so I've never beat it.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I always thought angel island getting set on fire was a bit of a downer. I wish they had done a full act of it being green.

I like marble garden and hydro city. So I guess the only thing I really don't like is carnival night.

I think the levels in Sonic and Knuckles just became too big though. Sandopolis just goes on and on and on. Even lava reef which I like is too long. I would have preferred they went back to the 3 act style of Sonic 1, although then they'd probably have to add another mini boss or something.