Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Flake

Re: 32-bit 2D platformers worth a punt?

by Flake Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Virtual Boy Warioland was 32 bit, right?
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Are the Disney games that are also on PSN any good? I remember Hercules being pretty good, but that might have been me being a kid.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:54 pm

I had several of those Disney platformers but I'm unlikely to ever try getting them again.

I overlooked mentioning Shinobi X/Legions. As much as I love the 16-bitters this sequel just didn't do it for me. Iffy collision detection, I just wish they'd never gone with those digitised sprites.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
KillemallCFH
32-bit

by KillemallCFH Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I thought Megaman X4's controls were smooth as silk. I noticed absolutely no difference from how the SNES ones felt.
Then you really weren't paying much attention. The controls in X4-X6 are much stiffer. It's hard to really articulate, but, for example, in X-X3 when you land from a dash-jump, you can immediately dash again (and go into another dash-jump if you so desire); in the PSX games, there's a delay when you land, which gives it much less flow. This seems pretty minor, but if you're used to moving like that in X-X3, the difference is very noticeable.

And yes, the voice acting is hilarious. It's even worse than Symphony of the Night or Resident Evil or <insert other early PSX game with voice-acting here>.

(All that being said, however, X4 is still a fantastic game. X5 and X6 sucked, though.)
Favorite System: SNES
Second Favorite System: Playstation
Medical Dust
16-bit

by Medical Dust Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm

I'll be the second to mention both the Tomba games. Tricky to track down, but possibly the best 2D platformers of the playstation era.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Pulsar_t wrote:Image

Pandemonium!. This game is not even 2.5D, even if the path twists and turns in three dimensions the game is rigidly two dimensional in everything but looks.

Wait, 2.5 means its only 3D in looks anyway right? Surely then, this IS 2.5D :S
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 pm

KillemallCFH wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I thought Megaman X4's controls were smooth as silk. I noticed absolutely no difference from how the SNES ones felt.
Then you really weren't paying much attention. The controls in X4-X6 are much stiffer. It's hard to really articulate, but, for example, in X-X3 when you land from a dash-jump, you can immediately dash again (and go into another dash-jump if you so desire); in the PSX games, there's a delay when you land, which gives it much less flow. This seems pretty minor, but if you're used to moving like that in X-X3, the difference is very noticeable.

And yes, the voice acting is hilarious. It's even worse than Symphony of the Night or Resident Evil or <insert other early PSX game with voice-acting here>.

(All that being said, however, X4 is still a fantastic game. X5 and X6 sucked, though.)

I never noticed that with the controls. I actually preferred MMX 4 to the SNES games in terms of controls because, as Zero, I didn't have to worry about holding down the attack button constantly to charge shots like I did with X. Zero is much more intuitive to use with all of his weapons built right into his melee fighting style. I also loved the ability to do rapid fire slashes with his sabre through the use of dash cancelling as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGRBTC7kSU

On a side note, I love that boss fight. Screw hidden dragon punch and fireball weapons, I much prefer having a Street Fighter reference in the form of a Shotokan using boss
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:21 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:Image

Pandemonium!. This game is not even 2.5D, even if the path twists and turns in three dimensions the game is rigidly two dimensional in everything but looks.

Wait, 2.5 means its only 3D in looks anyway right? Surely then, this IS 2.5D :S

Agreed, if we are letting Pandemonium is as 2D, how has NiGHTS not been.

I really want to get a hold of Rayman, it doesnt seem to pop up in the wild very often.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Was going to be a little peeved if Pandemonium wasn't here - although, I played Magical Hoppers, which was the same game with different playable characters.

I love Elevator Action Returns. I still play it on the Saturn every now and then - and I can never seem to beat it. I always get to the point where the man in red is shooting at you as you try hop on platforms to get to him, all while a timer is ticking away for a massive bomb to go off, and I end up falling.

Would Silhouette Mirage count as a platformer? Even though I have the game on the PSX, I honestly still haven't played it. I should probably get around to that...

Oh yeah, and Tomba is the awesomeness.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 pm

the7k wrote:Was going to be a little peeved if Pandemonium wasn't here - although, I played Magical Hoppers, which was the same game with different playable characters.

I love Elevator Action Returns. I still play it on the Saturn every now and then - and I can never seem to beat it. I always get to the point where the man in red is shooting at you as you try hop on platforms to get to him, all while a timer is ticking away for a massive bomb to go off, and I end up falling.

Would Silhouette Mirage count as a platformer? Even though I have the game on the PSX, I honestly still haven't played it. I should probably get around to that...

Oh yeah, and Tomba is the awesomeness.

Same here, I would always get to the end of Elevator Action Returns but never could finish it. Eventually something else grabbed my attention and I never played it again
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to Platformers