Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

Which is better?

Super Mario Bros 3.
39%
Super Mario World
39%
Both are equally great
22%

Total votes: 128

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Post by Xeogred »

SMB3 for me for sure. It has WAY more powerups, higher difficulty, cooler and weirder worlds, etc. Definitely feels like a heavier game or something (more to it). That said SMW is still a classic as well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

World gets my vote. My game time was subject to parental restriction growing up, so the save feature actually made it far, far more accessible. Granted, I also got the Mario Mania guide as my Nintendo Power subscription perk. Between that and being able to pick up where I'd left off, however, it made for a game that I could actually explore every nook and cranny of, rather than see if I could get any further this time before I had to turn the system off.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

I like them both but I'm going to have to go with World. World was a little bit easier than 3 but I like the music in SMW better. I also loved finding all of the secret passages and levels. Not that 3 is a bad game, but I enjoyed World more
Konacha
32-bit

Post by Konacha »

Dang, this is hard. Both are just great games (while I only have Super Mario World on the Super Famicom)

While I love the Power-Ups in Super Mario Bros 3 and that they were so different and we haven't seen some of the Power-Ups again (I mean, Hammer Bros could kill those stupid Boos), it was not only hard (since I have yet to beat the game without using the warp whistle) but also the fact that you couldn't replay the same levels and there was normally only one way to finish the level (yeah, there were a few levels I can think of that didn't).

Super Mario World on the other hand was a bit easier but with less power-ups. It had... somewhat of a story in the game I guess. Yoshi was a huge plus for me due to not only eating the enemy's but he could walk and jump on almost anything without getting hurt. Plus there was number of levels where you could go another way complete the stage and find secrets. Super Mario World is LOADED with secrets in the game and finding them all is a huge challenge.

You know, I'll just say both but I have better memories of playing Super Mario World as a kid (I got a NES a year before the SNES came out as a kid and got the SNES two or three years later, I'm not 100% sure)
Flekshin
8-bit

Post by Flekshin »

It's been awhile since I've played 3 and it had a ton of cool things, but I've been playing the hell out of SMW the last couple of days and I still love it. it was the game I remember playing when I was a young kid when I first got my snes for christmas. That along with Zombies Ate My Neighbors are both pretty big nostalgic titles for me because I remember enjoying them a lot with my sister.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Breetai wrote:For F--- sakes! Don't multiple versions of this thread already exist?

I'll go with SMW, because the Famicom cords are too short to enjoy SMB3 properly. I only play on the original consoles, because I'm a f---ing all-star like Dany Heatley. F--- the NES. It just bastardized the Famicom; the most perfect console ever designed.

:lol: :roll: :lol:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

GameMasterGuy wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:I've never been a huge fan of Super Mario World. It always felt like a step backwards to me. Yes the save feature was a big plus but it also made the game incredibly easy. It felt like they were taking things back to basics which was both good and bad. The end result, to me at least, was something that didn't feel like the successor to Super Mario Bros. 3. Even Miyamoto said he felt the game was rushed but he also said on a different occasion that it's his favorite Mario game so I guess it doesn't really matter what he says.

He calls DKC uninnovative and and thinks that 3D (3DS kind, not N64 kind) is a full on gaming enhancement. He thinks that gaming needs innovation then makes four NSMB games and SMG2. He lost my respect a looong time ago.

That's pretty harsh for a guy who has made some of the most amazing games ever. As a higher up at nintendo, he does have to play the marketing game as well, and doesn't always have full control over what they develop. And all the games you mentioned were still great, even if they weren't groundbreaking.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Jrecee wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:I've never been a huge fan of Super Mario World. It always felt like a step backwards to me. Yes the save feature was a big plus but it also made the game incredibly easy. It felt like they were taking things back to basics which was both good and bad. The end result, to me at least, was something that didn't feel like the successor to Super Mario Bros. 3. Even Miyamoto said he felt the game was rushed but he also said on a different occasion that it's his favorite Mario game so I guess it doesn't really matter what he says.

He calls DKC uninnovative and and thinks that 3D (3DS kind, not N64 kind) is a full on gaming enhancement. He thinks that gaming needs innovation then makes four NSMB games and SMG2. He lost my respect a looong time ago.

That's pretty harsh for a guy who has made some of the most amazing games ever. As a higher up at nintendo, he does have to play the marketing game as well, and doesn't always have full control over what they develop. And all the games you mentioned were still great, even if they weren't groundbreaking.

And AFAIK, in the producer seat, Miyamoto hardly does anything for the Mario series anymore. Just basically looks at it and says looks fine for Mario. I think the last Mario he actually gave input on were the Galaxy duo (and those are really fun).
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Jrecee wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:

Used to. Pikmin aside, he's been going steadily downhill. On the NES, he made masterpieces. On the SNES, he still made amazing games. On the N64, his games weren't overly spectacular, and tend to be overrated. Then he hit the GC and really started to go downhill, hitting rock bottom when we reached the Wii. If the trend continues, his works on the Wii U will include a Zelda game where the bosses kill themselves, a Mario so linear that you're not allowed to backtrack, and along with NSMBU, another four annual NSMB games copying features from SMW2YI, SM64, SMS, and SMG respectively.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

If mario galaxy is rock bottom. . . Well. . . Just well.