Favorite traditional 2D platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
SonicGamer74
24-bit

Re: Favorite traditional 2D platformers?

Post by SonicGamer74 »

The early Sonic games (1, 2, 3&K, and CD)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 (3 was good, but not my favorite)
Rayman 3
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Pretty much any Kirby game that isn't Epic Yarn (like it, but not enough), and Triple Deluxe (don't have it lol)
Pitfall! (2600)
Pitfall! The Mayan Adventure
Ristar
DuckTales: Remastered
Aladdin (Genesis and SNES)
The Lion King
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World

Not sure if this one counts, but there's an indie game on PS3, 360, Wii U, Vita, and PC called, "Thomas Was Alone". It's more puzzle/story oriented, but by God, it's one of the few indie games I absolutely love. :)
This user really likes SEGA Saturn. Avoid at all costs.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2 BY FAR AND AWAY, THE BEST 2D PLATFORMER I ever played.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Freedom Planet, but I think you've checked it out already? Anyway, for everyone else in a classic 2D platformer mood, it's an amazing game that surpasses its inspirations in my opinion.

And Little Big Planet on the PS3. The first one a little more than the second one, which started to get bloated.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
SonicGamer74
24-bit

Post by SonicGamer74 »

Just realized I listed Sonic Adventure, Rayman 3, and the 2 Mario 3D games of recent in this thread....
Those aren't 2D Platformers....
Oops.

So, yeah. Ignore those. But keep Colors. That's still got some 2D platforming in it.
This user really likes SEGA Saturn. Avoid at all costs.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Castle of Illusion.
The original and the remake are both fantastic 2D platformers.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

samsonlonghair wrote:Castle of Illusion.
The original and the remake are both fantastic 2D platformers.

I'd like to add that the Master System version is different and also really good.

The Master System exclusive sequel World of Illusion is even better and possibly the best platformer on the console.

The Donald Duck games are worth checking out too.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Gunstar Green wrote:The Master System exclusive sequel World of Illusion is even better and possibly the best platformer on the console.

I believe World of Illusion is a Genesis game, not a Master System Game. Do you mean Legend of Illusion or Land of Illusion?
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:The Master System exclusive sequel World of Illusion is even better and possibly the best platformer on the console.

I believe World of Illusion is a Genesis game, not a Master System Game. Do you mean Legend of Illusion or Land of Illusion?

Which also aren't Master System exclusive, so I am not sure what they are talking about. Wish I had the Sms versions instead of the Game Gear versions.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think of Master System and Game Gear as kinda-sorta the same system...because they kinda-sorta are. This was talked about in greater detail in another thread, but basically if you're talking about Master system "exclusives" you need to include Game Gear games. If you only want "true exclusives" of Master System games that were never released for Game Gear or any other system, that becomes a really short list of disproportionately Brazilian games.

I just wish we could see a viable mass-produced consolized game gear. I find plenty of cool game gear carts in the wild, but few Master System carts.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Getting back on topic, Pac-land was a 2D platformer way ahead of its time. I believe it predates Super Mario Bros.