Linux

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
opa
128-bit

Re: Linux

Post by opa »

don't forget that windows has the disk management utility. That'll help you identify what you need to keep/delete.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think I'm going to keep them on separate hard drives, so that'll make it really easy to know what's what in the event of a reinstall. XP starts up really fast on the mechanical HDD that I have in there, I see the splash screen for mere seconds before I'm at the login screen. I'll put Linux on the SSD that I got. And then that way, if I ever want to delete the Ubuntu partition to install a different distro, it'll be really easy (aside from possible problems with the boot manager). The SSD that I got is only 120GB. I know that's technically enough to split between XP and Linux, but I'd rather not partition it up.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I burned the latest LTS of Ubuntu to a disc today and loaded it on my slimline Dell. It took *forever* to load to the desktop, then the optical drive continued to read data for a really, really long time. The drive sounded the way it does when file order is non sequential for reading. Now I know this is an older machine with DD2, and I was loading from DVD and not USB. But still, it was pretty annoying. When I put Mint on this machine a year or two ago it wasn't anything like this.

So after loading for about an hour (no exaggeration) I finally clicked on install Ubuntu. It gives the typical options, install along side your current OS or something else. Well, if I go to install along side my current OS, the auto setup wants to re-partition XP and install it on my mechanical drive. But I want to install it on my new SSD. So I have to choose the "something else" option. So I get a screen where I can select my SSD and create a new partition there. But when I do and click install, it yells at me with an error message and tells me to fix something. I couldn't figure out what the hell it wanted me to do, so I ended up having to quit the installation. I'll have to look at it again some other time, I'm kind of tired and cranky right now. But so far Ubuntu has been very frustrating LOL. I might load my last Mint disc (it's been a while since I used it) just to compare.

One good thing though, I did see an option that let me choose which drive I wanted the boot manager on. So if I install the boot manager on the new SSD, and have the BIOS select the SSD first for booting, then if I ever want to nuke the Linux install it wont effect the XP boot loader since it's on the mechanical drive. I could simply change the BIOS boot order to make the mechanic drive first, or reformat the SSD with a new OS and boot manager.

edit: OK, I became a little less cranky and looked up a YouTube video. When you do the manual setup, you have to manually create 3 partitions (normally the Windows or Linux auto installer does this for you). I might try it again tomorrow.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, so I tried to install Ubuntu on that slimline again.

From watching a YouTube video, I created a 512 MB boot partition, a 4 GB swap area, and then formatted the rest as the root home. The installer yelled at me that it needed an EFI partition for the boot manager, so I set an additional partition as EFI and selected it for the boot manager. Then it allowed me to install Ubuntu. Which took forever, by the way. It took over an hour I think to load up to the point that I could start the install process, then it took around another hour to actually install it!

Once the installation process was finally done, and I removed the install disc, I rebooted and it went straight to the XP splash screen without ever hitting an OS selection screen. I have XP on a mechanical drive, and I installed Ubuntu on a new SSD. I went in the BIOS and made sure the SSD was set to first boot. After it didn't work, I even physically disconnected the mechanical HDD, so only the SSD is installed which has Ubuntu installed on it, and my computer reports no bootable drives found.

So I'm not sure what I did wrong here. But at this point I'm thinking it might be easier just to let Ubuntu to the automatic thing and put it on the same drive as XP. Of course, since XP is on a mechanical drive and I wanted Linux on an SSD, I guess I'll have to reinstall XP on an SSD first. Not a big deal. But more annoying, I only got a 120 GB SSD to save some money, since that's more than enough for one OS. But if I knew I was going to be putting two OSes on it, I would have spend the few extra dollars to get the 240 GB drive. Not that 120 GB isn't enough for XP and Linux, I just wont have been more comfortable with a larger drive!

Oh, the perils of wanting to do something outside the box! :lol:

The only real reason I even need XP is because the chip programmer that I use doesn't have any Linux drivers or software. I've read about some people successfully using it in a VM on Linux, but it can be a pain to get working. But at this point, I'm thinking it might be worth it! The only problem is activating Windows. But I've heard that if you don't activate Windows 10, there's no real crippling aside from a nag and not being able to customize a few things. So maybe I should try this out. Hmm... If I connect only the SSD without the XP drive, then install Ubuntu like you normally would on a single drive PC, then maybe I can give this idea a try.

I'm also curious to load the Ubuntu CD on my i7 rig to see how long it takes.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Oh man.. you've had an adventure!

I would boot from USB personally.

Did the system initially recognize the ssd?

You know you could set your bios to boot via USB first and run Puppy off of USB any time you want Linux and not try dual-booting.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, it was an adventure! It wasn't too bad because I was at my bench working on something anyway. So I wasn't watching the grass grow.

It's just so much easier and faster for me to burn the ISO to a DVD than to set up the thumb drive. You know, I put Ubuntu Studio on my spare thumb drive and messed around with it. But now I want my thumb drive back, but some of the partitions are locked so it's not so easy to just reformat and use as a regular stick again. Kind of a pain in the ass. The tool I used to create the bootable stick was on my Linux Mint install, which I have nuked in favor of setting up Ubuntu. So now I sort of have to wait until I get Ubuntu set up before I can reformat that stick again. For some reason, I can't do it in Windows even when I go into Disc Management. I'm sure there's some Windows app I can use, but I avoid using random Windows apps whenever possible (it's another thing I like to use Linux for).

Anyways, I never had an issue installing Linux from CD or DVD in the past. Even using the live desktop off the disc, although slow, was still doable. This Ubuntu disc though, it takes forever and a day! What, do they figure no one is using optical media anymore so they don't care about file order?

My BIOS sees the SSD, sure. And the Ubuntu installer did, too.

Puppy sounds cool, I'll have to look into that. I'd still rather have the OS installed on an internal HDD for this slimline desktop, but Puppy might be useful for some things.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I have a 512 mb usb stick that I have puppy installed on. Hit me up if you need it. I don't need it. Got plenty of usb sticks, atm.

Iirc puppy comes with gparted or another disk management program. Could help you format your other usb.

edit: Fedora Media Writer on Windows may be able to fix your usb drive as well. ( a chance anyway. It fixes mine when I do fedora installs; perhaps it'd work with ubuntu)
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Sorry to double-post but I've had a day. The computer/linux related stuff:

My Lenovo tiny thinkcentre came with a generic SSD (Kingfast brand?). I knew I wanted a better brand that I could count on so I ordered a Kingston 240 GB ssd (and 24 packs of ramen; sue me). So late last night an amazon delivery guy knocks on my door delivering the precious noodles (and ssd). This morning I get to work. I installed the Kingston SSD into the thinkcentre and put in a fresh install of Fedora. Why Fedora? Well I'm currently towards the end of a Linux class that I've been taking (which has been useless). I have a copy of the "Linux Bible" which has a strong RHEL and Fedora focus so I'd like to get used to the syntax of that distro. I'll also be taking the Linux + exam; not that I care about that cert but it'd be nice to pass.
Now my plan is to make this my main desktop machine for general computing and coding as well (about to take a C++ class in my spare time). I plan on upgrading my monitor eventually (maybe Christmas) to one of those ultra-wide curved monitors. So that'll be sweet when I get that set up.

What am I doing with the old SSD? Glad you asked!

I also have an HP Prodesk 600 G1 that I use for games and emulation. The graphics card, if you can call it that, is an Nvidia NVS Quadro 315. Really this was used to provide a second screen for business if what I've read on the web is correct. Either way, it plays Oblivion at max settings so I'm happy with it. When I received the PC it came with a Seagate 500 GB HDD. The hard disk makes concerning noises and, while I've used it a bit with no issues, I didn't want the OS on it any longer. Therefore, gentleman (and fair ladies), I'm going to trust the generic SSD with the OS!

I cloned the old hdd onto the ssd and then swapped the sata cables on the motherboard (the drive with the OS has to be in Sata 0 on this machine). And behold, it works! I get to boot with SSD speeds! I then formatted the old HDD and now I am using it for secondary storage. I'll probably install the games on it to keep the SSD as clean as possible.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, Kingfast? Is that like a knock off Kingston brand? Did you run any benchmarks with it?

As for the HDD making noises... I've had a few HDDs that sounded really concerning, but ended up being fine. The first 1 TB HDD that I ever purchased, a WD Blue I think, sounded really weird right out of the box. I got it in 2009. I bought it new from New Egg. I had it as my main OS drive for a few years, then I eventually got an SSD and that 1 TB drive was used heavily for storage and as a scratch drive. It was in my main rig which got daily use for 10 years. In 2019, the drive still worked perfectly and didn't have any SMART errors. Point is, some drives just sound weird. Of course, horrible sounds could indicate HDD failure...

I'm pretty sure if any of the SMART values read as warning or bad, that modern Windows will give you a warning pop up message about it. I wonder if Linux would do this as well.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

can you recommend a benchmark?