PC dvd player

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: PC dvd player

Post by wclem »

Well hopefully this program is all it is cracked up to be. Would be cool to just stick the disc in and it just plays. If not I will try these other methods.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@ziggy, I keep some movies for special features or traveling. I sold something like 200 DVDs & BDs I didn't care about extras on. Even for traveling, there's a VLC phone app & a 5 GB DVD MKV file is quick to move to my phone.

@stickem, worth noting for Plex, several home NAS devices are now certified to work as Plex "severs." The Nvidia Shield TV can also act as one I believe. I've been looking at home NAS devices for normal backups (pics, Excel docs, games, etc). I think I'm going to spring for one on the Plex list, store my movies there too, then stream to my 4K Rokus.

Some of the NAS devices even support hardware transcoding. List of NAS supported devices below.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201373 ... lity-list/

Worth noting I don't see any Synology NAS devices but I've seen plenty of videos of them working on YT.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

Been playing around with the PowerDVD program for a few weeks. Plays almost everything I throw at it. For some odd reason it said nope to Silent Hill. Could be any number of reasons, all other stuff has been great.

Was nice to see the Bluray discs fire up without issue. Scans disc real fast and has a ton of enhancements both audio and video should you choose to use them. I mostly use the defaults. The only hitch I have with it is when I close it off the audio on my PC freaks out. If I change my audio to another device and change it back then all is fine. This could be hardware related anomaly or it could be the software. Running a last gen i7 and using the HDMI audio from my nVidia 1070. So I have to kind of force it back to that. A nuisance at most, that I can live with. So far 79 dollars well spent.

Got my USB player on the end table, pop new discs in without leaving the couch. Oh so nice LOL. Got version 19 off of Amazon. If you have the extra cash I suggest the program if you are looking to watch Bluray on your PC. Though your mileage may vary.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.