Hunting classic games not on any storefront (Steam, GOG)

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Hunting classic games not on any storefront (Steam, GOG)

Post by casterofdreams »

Hi Everyone,

I've been in the mood to play a few classic games that were released on PC during the 6th generation of consoles. Two of these games were the Simpsons related and the last was a few older Need for Speed games (Underground 1&2, Most Wanted).

Based on some research I did it looks like theses aren't on any storefront as a result of licensing (franchise, cars, music).

So my question is: what is the best way of getting a hold of these games outside of the known storefronts available? Does hunting for the physical disc pose a DRM licensing concern? Torrent? Some site for the preservation of abandoned software?

Any help is appreciated.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Hunting classic games not on any storefront (Steam, GOG)

Post by Tanooki »

I've run into that issue with some older stuff too and it sucks, and one like you said Simpsons based (The Simpsons Arcade Game for DOS) and others like Solar Winds, Silverball, Heretic(picked this up on ebay cheap), and some more. All of them seem to be a mix of lost in licensing hell or just developer apathy. You'll notice the one game is a Konami title and licensed, then the next 2 are from Epic Megagames that recently got onto GoG but added so little, and the last I found on ebay because oddly Heretic just kind of got lost in hell between Raven and iD hating on each other.

Sadly the best and most annoying fix is original media and ebay gougers know where they can hurt you for it outside of the standard big box values when those can be found intact, but it's the loose discs or CDs too doing it. It may be sadly down to asking around locally or not to find someone who won't want to hit you hard for the title, or maybe a weird thrift spot or flea market space could turn it up.