Places to find old games

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Places to find old games

Post by Tanooki »

I've been noticing there are some annoying holes due to licensing or losses over time that just don't get included on GoG or elsewhere, and ebay is a pain in the ass for some.

I'd love to try and reacquire some screwy games I had back in the day like Hi-Octane, Speed Racer, Solar Winds, Silverball, Simpsons Arcade Game and others and google isn't much help and ebay can range form idiots fighting to overpay on big boxes or they just don't pop up really at all which causes it even loose too.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Places to find old games

Post by isiolia »

For actual discs, not sure. However, there are multiple abandonware sites out there that may have downloads (for example), or in some cases it's worth checking the developer or publisher's site as they may be available for free there (the Marathon games for instance).
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I know about the abandonware stuff, it's just regurgitated #oldwarez releases of the 90s thrown up on the web for easy access. Under another name online and era I peddled heavily in that stuff for awhile.

I think it has to do with as much as owning a floppy drive again but I'd like to just snap up a few thing that GoG just won't be likely to get I used to enjoy, not so much with experimenting.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Not floppy disks, but sometimes surprise PC Game CD finds buried with the Music CDs at the Thrift Stores.

:idea: How many here backed up all their DOS Floppy and CD disc hard drive install folders to CD Roms when moving up to newer Windows PC? Those can easily be dumped to current PC hard drive and ran thru DOSBox. If that old DOS hard drive still around, pop it in an external enclosure and dump those folders!

Some folder names easily recognized from decades ago. :mrgreen:

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, always check those music cases at thrift shops. All kinds of games end up in those. I found Brave Fencer Musashi in a book case of country music, along with one of the Microsoft Flight Simulators, No One Lives Forever, and a variety of other stuff.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I went the wrong way about it, had a tape drive into an iomega 100 before I buckled and got a CD burner. :D I do have a few rogue files i kept from way back that survived I paid for way back when -- Wolfenstein3D, Sim City (DOS), and the original Civilization which oddly has never been re-released.

I've kept an eye out for discs, you never know and that's true. A lot of old DOS games did get these screw ball PC magazine or other style give aways or super cheap bundle package deals where you get a lot on one.