Tiny computer ideas, Windows version

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
benderx
Next-Gen

Tiny computer ideas, Windows version

Post by benderx »

Well I got me a tiny computer for cheap to play with. Double the size of a ipad or close to nintendo Wii, Which version of Windows do you prefer for overall. I may use this to play with some adobe suite collection, just tinker. I kinda want to install some emus like Sega Saturn, WiiU, and GC. I have raspberry pi 3 and other goodies set for it. I may want to play with it for past old games to see how well it can run it from 98 to 2012. I just recall can my pc run this game, need to download the app.

If you guys have any tips for me, related to gaming? Should I keep Windows 7 Home Premium or upgrade to what. I think I shouldn't do Window 10, maybe leaning towards 8.1. I want to get a professional computer for non gaming needs besides apple.

2gb of ram with AMD Fusion E350 Radeon HD6320 1.6 GHz ASUS 64-bit. I may upgrade this to 4gb. I'm not sure if I can expand it over 4gb, any idea what happens "Expandable to 4 GB"? Currently installed Windows 7 Home Premium.
Last edited by benderx on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Tiny computer ideas, Windows version

Post by o.pwuaioc »

If you're just tinkering, might I suggest trying out Linux instead? In place of Adobe Suite, you could get free software, such as GIMP, Inkscape, Audacity, and Scribus, and there are plenty of emulators for it, too.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

o.pwuaioc wrote:If you're just tinkering, might I suggest trying out Linux instead? In place of Adobe Suite, you could get free software, such as GIMP, Inkscape, Audacity, and Scribus, and there are plenty of emulators for it, too.

Linux is great to boot up on the fly. Wow I forgot about audacity its been 10 years. I use the tiny pc for alternative stuff not available or doesn't work well with mac. Sometimes i tinker with Wine bottle inorder to play the original fallout, works alright just had to configure it right. I know someone released a while back the original Maniac Mansion updated fan edition for windows.

++ Update, yikes I just started to update to firefox and took over an hour just to install it, compared to downloading it. I don't know what's up with this computer, feels like its dial up without the internet. Viewing web is slow, it does have a ethernet port. Couldn't even shutdown, frozen loop more than 10 mins. But right now I want to shutdown, cause it should taken me 10 minutes to install google chrome and other related stuff.

Okay I'm not that pc savy at the moment. Found out I need to update bios/ drivers. Even though Asus doesn't seem to update support after 2 to 3 years after release, looks outdated. Eeebox pc is the name of model line. I'm not sure if I should update direct x 11 latest or not. Not sure if there is graphic card support from and Radeon.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I prefer Windows XP (desktop) and Windows 7 (laptop) due to best compatibility for my older games, emulation, browsing and applications I use. Since your PC is not primarily for gaming, avoid the disaster Windows 8. Upgrade to Windows 10 a better route unless you plan on using older applications. Note that the newest Microsoft Office 365 is a "rental" annual fee! I still use MS Office 2003 which runs in both XP and 7; doubt it runs in Win 10. Still works just fine and no sneaky annual fee.

Memory is cheap bang for the buck, max it out. If you don't have the motherboard manual, Google the PDF. Oh and since you just got the PC, reformat and reinstall the OS of you preference. That will purge out all the spyware and other crap left by the previous owner.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

If you don't have a touch mechanic I'd stick with Windows7 for the lower overhead. But I think with that hardware Gamecube And Wii/WiiU emulation is a strong overreach of what you wish to pull off. That hardware won't hack it in the least bit. Now I'm seeing people toss around GIMP, but Adobe gives out for free their older Adobe Photoshop CS2 for free usage and it's what I have installed for all my needs. It's an excellent setup and not with that obtuse setup the GIMP has and without the need to track down a bunch of filters and tools to get it up to a photoshop level of desirability.

The drag you're having reeks of something(s) running in the background. Research on your main computer what you need, download the appropriate bone stock drivers and apps, and do a deep level repartition and format of that thing and start over like day one. When you realize ASUS put some useless crap on there (they do, I had one around the time i5 chips were new and a netbook before that similar to your spec sort of) you'll want to google what is vital and not, then purge it from the system to free up more resources.

Once that's over then start installing your toys, though as soon as possible at least get firefox on there so you can google junk and run updates as you wish one at a time.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Eeebox PCs are Intel Atom-based, so they are NOT fast PCs. You should plan to use these for lightweight tasks. Might emulate up through the 16-bit generation just fine, but definitely NOT well-suited to Adobe suite products, at all. Basically, this is useful as a web-browsing workstation with word processing and email. Probably will handle 720p streaming video OK. That's about it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Tanooki wrote:INow I'm seeing people toss around GIMP, but Adobe gives out for free their older Adobe Photoshop CS2 for free usage and it's what I have installed for all my needs.

Technically, no, they don't. They discontinued the activation servers needed for CS2, and provided a version of the program that no longer needed it intended for those with a valid license. The internet went wild posting links to "free" Adobe CS2 products, neglecting to read what Adobe has on that page:

Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.

Does that prevent people from using them anyway? Provided they don't crash, no, not really. Just saying, Adobe didn't just elect to hand them out.

Eeebox PCs are Intel Atom-based, so they are NOT fast PCs.

A Brazos based system likely does better on the GPU front, at least.

Main thing I'd consider here is cost. You can make the system as a whole a bit better, but given the performance you've got a very low threshold before it's just not worth it. Swapping up Windows - legally - isn't free. Seems likely it can actually use 8GB (or 16GB if some comments are to be believed), but would multiply the cost of the system to do that. Swapping in an SSD would likely do a lot, but again, would likely cost more than the system did in the first place.
I'd look for a free (or close to it) 4GB kit, since if it takes a pair of soDIMMs like it seems to, you can probably find someone that upgraded a laptop from 4GB and has compatible RAM sitting around.

If you just want a basic PC sitting around, you can get a refurb first or second gen i5 based business machine for sub $200 (if not sub $150) these days, and that's via Newegg or whatnot. Craigslist or something is likely less. That'd make a better platform for putting a few more bucks into (if needed), since with a decent GPU they're still viable as current gaming rigs.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well I did have a valid install ages ago for PS 5.5 but you know if Adobe put it up there with a clear download and not needing anything activated, who cares how the media reported it, it's a freebie to use as far as anyone is concerned. I don't think Adobe is going to send the police after you over a discontinued product they put up on an open download terms or not. Just don't go about trying to sell it and I think it would be safe.

I went digging, they still have the site up for all their packages free to download, they tell people they need to have bought it in the past but they put an all access serial number right there with all a click away from ownership basically. Instead of policing it they just left it there, so yes while they'd rather you have paid for CS2 there's really no harm in using it either even if it is shady.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Yeah, I have to assume they know it'll probably be used like that, and I doubt it's an issue for private/home use. Business/corporate use is likely asking for problems though. I believe they did pull/change the download site initially though, after it was posted all over.

Personally, I fall under the "actually has a valid license for CS2" category, though I don't tend to use it as I also have Creative Cloud via work. Plus, Adobe isn't kidding when they mention not guaranteeing functionality - Windows seems to be fine, but either that or Photoshop 6 started crashing on startup on MacOS 10.6 or 10.7.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Oh I know they don't support it. Since Win8 you have to both install it AND 1st time run it in admin mode or you get perpetual nag pop ups each use to register now, later, never and fill in your information. Once it's up it behaves great at least, but I would not be under any delusion that if Windows decided to flip the bird to 32bit support like IOS11 does on phone/pad -- probably totally SOL with it.