solved

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Xeogred
Next-Gen

solved

Post by Xeogred »

What do you guys think or use? Or maybe you haven't even gone "HD" yet with PC monitors?

I just bought a 24" Dell G-Sync monitor a bit to my regret and am definitely thinking of returning it. The resolution hits 2560x1440 which is crazy. For gaming, it's definitely insane and I can tell the difference from my 50" 1080p HDTV I dual monitor with. Everything is razor sharp and pops a lot. But everything else? I'm not sure if it's exclusive to this monitor or my own personal issues, but no matter how much I fiddle with the settings or tried to adjust to it over the day, I was just constantly squinting, scaling things, and trying to get a good feel for it but it definitely isn't happening.

My previous monitor was 1680x1050 and a bit muted on the colors. So I was looking for a nice upgrade, but I think if I can hopefully return this 1440p monitor a 1080p one will probably be a lot better and easier on the eyes for web browsing/documents and all.
Last edited by Xeogred on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: 1440p vs 1080p for general use

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The monitor I currently use is actually a 1080p TV, but I'm hoping to (eventually) get a 24" 2160p monitor. At some point. Probably after I get a 1080 Ti. So not for a good while.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeo, I don't know if it's your eyes, or your specific monitor but I've not experienced the same with mine which is a 27" 1440p. Now admittedly I use my desktop for gaming more than anything else (almost exclusively really) but I've still never had to spend any time trying to make this read-able or not blurry or other things you've reported. For gaming specifically, I think 1440p looks amazing and I wouldn't want to go back to 1080p.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'd say it depends.

Size of the monitor and viewing distance would be factors. My main monitor at home is a 27" 1440p, which at 100% scaling and all is a little small with how far it is back on the desk, but still comfortable. It's flanked by 24" 1920x1200 monitors, and it's readily apparent just how much more fits on the 1440p screen when moving windows between them.
On smaller monitor sizes, I suspect things would get too small to use without scaling at that distance. I'm usually happy using native 1080p or so laptop panels though, which technically show things smaller, but also closer.

However, scaling thing is likely the future. The trend these days is towards using much higher pixel densities and scaling the UI to a comfortable level - mostly limited to things like mid/high end laptops and tablets right now, but operating systems tend to support it.

AFAIK, 1440p is becoming less common as 4k panels get more capable and common. When I got mine, 1440p was the the highest one could reasonably expect a good card to reliably run games at 60fps+ at, much less find 144hz panels in. Today, I would probably lean towards 4k more - but likely scale the OS to be more of a 1080p size.

Xeogred wrote:My previous monitor was 1680x1050 and a bit muted on the colors. So I was looking for a nice upgrade, but I think if I can hopefully return this 1440p monitor a 1080p one will probably be a lot better and easier on the eyes for web browsing/documents and all.

I think the one you bought is a TN panel, and those tend to not be awesome for color. They can be decent, but IPS tends to do better.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I love my 1440p 27" Dell. I honestly would have a hard time going back now. Not really sure of the issues you are having, I haven't experienced it with mine.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah everyone seems to be saying otherwise about 1440p, so it must have been a bad fluke on my end.

I went ahead and returned the monitor anyways and am going to try out this 1080p one, if anyone has any thoughts on it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO4518I

I will have no use for the 3D, but it looks pretty good and is half what I was going to pay for the 1440p. Still 144hz as well. Ideally I won't be gaming much on my PC anyways, only in rare cases with keyboard/mouse only games or older stuff, so yeah. I think 1080p will be easier to handle on my eyes and I won't have to bump up text/icons to 125%, which was making everything look blurry and nasty on that 1440p.

My vision is pretty good and I'm slightly nearsighted rather than farsighted, so up close I see better... I'm thinking it was a technical issue with that monitor and maybe something messed up with my system with it. Tried messing with it all day but figured I shouldn't risk it and could save some money anyways. lol

On the flipside I think I'll just stick to investing more in the TV's.
antonio

Post by antonio »

I think 1440p is amazing and I won't go back to 1080p.
Looks like my friend is an avid gambling fan. I like watching him playing online at jackpot247 com. It's time for me to try em too. Let's have some fun.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Takes a good bit more (and more expensive) horsepower to drive 1440p, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Bingo marurun. I just purchased an Acer 27" 1080p monitor with an insane refresh rate of 240Hz. It's a TN display but I get 1ms response time. G-Sync too.

I don't believe 4K monitors have anywhere near that refresh rate and I don't know where 1440p ones are at in that department.

1440p does require more resources of course. My 1070 ti can handle it based on benchmarks online but the refresh rate is my thing.

Now for personal use I'd recommend a monitor with a high refresh rate similar to the one I stated above. For regular every day use such as web browsing, wordprocessing, or anything else in between, having everything on screen run silky smooth is dare I say addicting.

Edit 7/17: I wanted to elaborate a bit on what I said above yesterday. Marurun is correct in that it requires more processing power for a 1440p screen but that’s in the context of gaming. It also requires much more processing power for a high refresh rated monitor as well, again in the context of gaming. Not so for everyday use in both cases however. I still believe for everyday use that refresh rate is more important to me at least over resolution. The lowest I’d go is 1080p personally. The tech in those panels have really hit a wall. The new “frontier” is improving the same stats in higher resolution panels like 1440p, 4K, and even 5K.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

From a quick look around, I think right now 1440p offerings range up to 165hz with 240hz maybe on the horizon. 4k has only just recently started to get high refresh panels pushed out, but really expensive first-gen type products (monitors with cooling fans, yay :roll: ).

Realistically, there are only a handful of modern titles that even a 1080Ti will push close to 240 fps at 1080p on, at least with high settings. I agree that higher refresh is nice, and noticeable even just in Windows, but outside of competitive gaming, I'm not sure many folks will really take advantage of more than 120-144hz. Keeps 1440p in sort of a happy medium sort of place I think, provided you have a higher end GPU.