Starcraft Gold Master Source Code ?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Khemist49

Starcraft Gold Master Source Code ?

Post by Khemist49 »

Hello everyone,

First would like to say that this site is awesome, i am a retro game collector, been collecting for about 4 years now.

I rarely ever buy PC games, but i have always been a big diablo fan. I was on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and saw an auction with a buy it now price which was reasonable. The picture was taken inside a storage locker hallway, a bunch of copies of diablo, warcraft, starcraft, some magic and warcraft trading cards as well.

Looking forward to just adding the boxes to my shelves since i akready own these games digitally.

I received the box on Friday of last week, everything looked great, lots of cool stuff and then i noticed a copy of heroes of might ans magic IV elite edition.

Strange thing about it was a label that was on the box and game disc that says "Property of Blizzard Entertainment" i thought that was pretty cool and assumed maybe a blizzard employee lost his storage locker, or just forgot about it.

After digging through more stuff i noticed a CD-R case with a gold glittered disc inside.

When i took a closer look the cd had this printed on

"STARCRAFT Gold Master Source Code"

I didnt think much of it at first, but then started looking for more info. Cant find anything except what appears to be an april fools article published back in 1998 stating that the only copy of starcraft gold master went missing, which would cause the game to be delayed.

I opened the cd and confirmes it is the actual source code for starcraft.

I'm here to know what you guys think, i have never found anything like this and so unsure about what to do with it. I have been told it is a historic piece.

Anyone have any info on it?

Also, please do not ask me to dump the contents and share them with you. I am not going to distribute the code, thanks
marurun

Re: Starcraft Gold Master Source Code ?

Post by marurun »

I am not sure who here might be able to tell you any more than you already know, but good luck.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Anything prerelease is valuable, even if it is dumped. But without having a third party verify your data it is easy enough to dummy up a disc. It was not uncommon for burning rings to release discs with "beta" or "Gold Master" to make them look more authentic. I hate to say it, but without having the data verified by an expert, it is worth nothing.

Your bigger issue is that even if it is legit, Starcraft was released for free today. So it is only worth something to a beta collector, hardcore Starcraft fan, or a videogame museum. Five years ago, it could have been worth big money.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Holy shit

http://kotaku.com/guy-finds-starcraft-s ... 1794897125

Looks to me like a happy ending to this story honestly. This guy seems like a good guy and Blizzard paid him thanks.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yay! Good news all around!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

This dude is a fraud lol, the disc was already returned to blizzard.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/man-g ... n=homepage

try again.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Hazerd wrote:This dude is a fraud lol, the disc was already returned to blizzard.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/man-g ... n=homepage

try again.

I'm confused. You linked an article about the same guy I did. The same guy who started this thread.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yeah the guy referenced in the article came looking here before submitting it to blizzard. He is the threadmaker.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.