Warframe

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Warframe

Post by fastbilly1 »

Anyone else out there playing it?

It is a Free to play 3rd person shooter with heavy melee content. There is some story about Three alien races, space infection monsters, space cats/dogs, and robots, but I wasnt really paying attention to that. It is mission based PVE for up to four players where you can unlock almost everything in the game without paying one cent. If you get lucky on your drops and get into the ingame BST system, you can get everything without paying.

The basics are this:
- Unreal 4 engine third person shooter.
- Every player is a warframe, which is a class. It dictates abilities and has stats. You chose from three right off the bat, and there are about 30 different choices all in.
- Every character carries up to a primary weapon, a side arm, and a melee weapon.
- You team up with up to three buddies and go on missions to fight the other two races, steal from them, rescue hostages, etc.
- Movement is key, this game is fast and furious. Every character has double jump, "bullet jump," wall running, wall jumping, gliding, sliding, ground acrobatics, and aerial acrobatics. It is not uncommon to run into a room, bullet jump into a double jump and glide over a group of enemies only to flip over to a grenade launcher and send them all ragdolling over the map.
- There area a couple dozen planets each with around a dozen missions

The good:
Gameplay is exciting and fun. Rarely does a game actually make me feel like a badass, but last night I was gliding over a group pit deflecting bullets with my dual swords as I slowly came closer to group of enemies. As I landed I sliced ones head off, then used an ability to fling the rest of them off the rail they were standing on. Then I turned around, readied my space bow, and shot an arrow at the last guy in the room trying to set off the alarm and pinned him to the wall Predator style. I should mention that this was all done on a map that was 10 levels above where I should have been playing.

The bad:
The game is very bad about teaching you how to play and like an early 90s RPG, alot of this game is time locked. For example, if you want a new Frame? Go kill this boss several times so the RNG will give you the three blueprints you need to build it. Then each one of those takes 12 hours to build (you can build all three at once). Then you can buy the blueprints from the market to make the Frame (it takes those three parts AND more random materials). Then it takes three (3) days to make the frame, or you can pay to rush it which cost something like $5USD. Then you might find out you dont have a slot for another Warframe, which cost a couple USD...

If you have someone who knows what they are doing show you the ropes, you can have a whole boatload of fun in this one. What I posted there is not even scratching the surface of the game.

That said, I know Hobie plays it, and is quite good at it. I am quite bad, but have alot of fun in the process. If anyone wants to learn, I will gladly hop on Steam (any day but Thursdays) and talk you through it. But you have to do the first few missions solo. Be forewarned it is a 10gig download, and the game is patched frequently. Now they are very good at warning you about patches, but it is what it is.
jdollatari
8-bit

Re: Warframe

Post by jdollatari »

a buddy is trying to get me to play on xbox one...