What Mouse and Keyboard do you use? General Discussion.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What Mouse and Keyboard do you use? General Discussion.

Post by noiseredux »

casterofdreams wrote:As for your set up that's a cool keyboard. It looks like you have spare keys. Are those extras or is your board some sort of modular set up?

when I ordered the dampeners, and had to take all the keys off to install them anyway, that seemed like a good time to replace the WASD and arrow keys w/ blue keys as I had been planning. I really like the look of it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ewww, white keys and FPS colored keys.

My new keyboard came with optional overlays for the FPS keys and I threw those out. Even if I did use the standard FPS layout instead of my crazy ass layout what good are coloring the keys to me? I'm not looking down at the keyboard when I play.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:Ewww, white keys and FPS colored keys.

My new keyboard came with optional overlays for the FPS keys and I threw those out. Even if I did use the standard FPS layout instead of my crazy ass layout what good are coloring the keys to me? I'm not looking down at the keyboard when I play.

as a guy who didn't use a keyboard for gaming prior to this year, coloring the WASD's really helped me get used to it. The arrows I admit are just cuz I think it looks cool. Jerk.

Oh and the white keys came w/ the keyboard. I've actually been wanting to switch the whites to grays. But I'm in no rush for something purely cosmetic.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

casterofdreams wrote:Also on the mouse pad, after I returned the metal one I am going for a thin, wooden cutting board and adding some non slip support. I'll see if that works. If not then bare desk it is.

Great idea. Keep me informed if it works for you.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I don't remember if I had seen that handheld trackball design before. It looks interesting as it would be very portable. Has anyone here actually tried one? What are the left and right hand clicks there? Trigger for left, something for right?

I sort of miss a scroll wheel if I don't have one though, which is why I favor Kensington Orbit scroll wheel (pricey) or Expert (even pricier) trackballs over the Logitech Marble.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ivo wrote:I don't remember if I had seen that handheld trackball design before. It looks interesting as it would be very portable. Has anyone here actually tried one? What are the left and right hand clicks there? Trigger for left, something for right?

Typically there are four buttons on the top, with a scroll wheel on the back. You can usually reassign the buttons to be what you need them to be. The trigger is often for a laserpointer. If it works, it works well. The one I linked to was to showcase the product type, but having used it I do not suggest it. Bad drivers. You can also get them that are wired and have the trackball on top and you grip it like a pistol. Those work great, but you are limited in buttons and scroll wheel options. Look up one handed trackballs, there are thousands of types.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm still using the Logitech Wireless Desktop M710 Keyboard & Mouse combo.
Great wireless distance with one tiny dongle for both mouse and keyboard, and incredible battery life - I haven't changed the original batteries since I bought them years ago.

Here's a mouse/keyboard topic from 2012.

Also, I pored over the information at the bottom of these pages and have been considering getting a mechanical keyboard, tho the wireless ones are lacking...

logicalincrements.com - Keyboards & Mice
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I tried mechanical keyboards in the past and I don't really understand them. Since switching to the current set up, which has chicklet style keys, I can't really do anything else.

What are the main advantages of mechanical keyboards?

(I didn't know of the older topic, but then again this evolved into a general thing. Thanks for the heads up.)
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

I've been using the Logitech G500 wired mouse for a few years now. I like that you can change dpi, add or subtract weights, and map to extra buttons. My gf bought me the Razor Black Widow Ultimate Stealth for my birthday. I had been using the same HP mechanical keyboard since 1997, so it was nice to have a change of pace. I find myself making more typos because the layout of the board is slightly different due to the extra buttons for hotkey mapping. At least my entire rig matches now.

As far as mechanical keyboards, I just prefer the sound the physical feedback. I type just as well on my macbook when I'm programming so I guess its more of a psychological difference for me.

[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Logi-Tech, I don't think I've heard of this Logi-Tech ...

I use a Logitech K200 keyboard, because it was the only Keyboard at ENU with media keys that wasn't a million dollars when I needed one. I use a Logitech VX Revolution as a mouse, which was great, but it feels like it's on its way out.