PC build thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: PC build thread

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

@mobos

I looked at the highest-rated mobos on newegg, but every single one of them had the same instant failure complaints. Rather than trying to avoid a unit that will fail - it seems that all of them might - I should get one with a good warranty and respected customer support. Which manufacturer is my best bet? Seems ARock and Gigabyte aren't very good options.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote: Seems ARock and Gigabyte aren't very good options.

They definitely aren't. My newest Gigabyte is holding up fine but if I weren't getting warranty replacements with each failure I would be getting a different brand.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Valkyrie-Favor wrote: Seems ARock and Gigabyte aren't very good options.

They definitely aren't. My newest Gigabyte is holding up fine but if I weren't getting warranty replacements with each failure I would be getting a different brand.

Can't speak for Gigabyte, but I've never had any issues with ASRock. Had one of their boards in an HTPC that saw many hours. I still have it stowed away somewhere. They also bumped up the warranty to 5 years on their nicer boards. Pretty sweet deal, imo. Several manufacturers also have a cross-ship RMA process on flagship/enthusiast boards. You basically get a new board shipped out ASAP, and they put a temporary charge on your card until the defective unit is returned to them. Asus overnighted a replacement board to me once after I whined long enough over the phone. Easy.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Any suggestions for mini cases/setups?

I know it would be less bang for the buck, but I would absolutely want a compact machine if I do end up going the custom PC route.

Maybe like this: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Revolt-R570

Or i could wait for the Steam Machines next year. Compact but still modular is very appealing to me. And I would much prefer a sleek and slim powerhouse over a monster tower. Would also fit in my room much better.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

ZenErik wrote:Any suggestions for mini cases/setups?

I know it would be less bang for the buck, but I would absolutely want a compact machine if I do end up going the custom PC route.

Maybe like this: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Revolt-R570

Or i could wait for the Steam Machines next year. Compact but still modular is very appealing to me. And I would much prefer a sleek and slim powerhouse over a monster tower. Would also fit in my room much better.

The problem with those is that you pay a premium for small form factor components. That or you sacrifice performance and cooling capabilities.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:@mobos

I looked at the highest-rated mobos on newegg, but every single one of them had the same instant failure complaints. Rather than trying to avoid a unit that will fail - it seems that all of them might - I should get one with a good warranty and respected customer support. Which manufacturer is my best bet? Seems ARock and Gigabyte aren't very good options.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Gigabyte...but I've also never had to warranty one :lol:
Something to keep in mind is that everything has the chance of DOA/etc. The more popular models are going to have more reviews. Plenty of times the only reason one board is higher rated is because it has 3-5 reviews from people who happened to have no issues...meanwhile an Editor's Choice, highly reviewed board has 1,000 ratings, and of those it's fairly likely someone is going to have issues (nevermind that you tend to get the love/hate people doing reviews in the first place).

ASUS is usually great, but carries a slight price premium. Personally, I would tend to buy Gigabyte for a little cheaper board, but everyone has that their brands they've had bad luck with.
Or you do IT, and have bad luck with everyone (eventually).

Anyway, my current tower...

i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2GB
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 (sound card)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W PSU
Samsung 830 256GB SSD (primary/boot)
Crucial m4 64GB SSD (MMO installs)
WD Black 1.0, 1.5, and 2 TB drives for other storage (it just worked out that way)
LG 10X Blu-ray drive
Silverstone Raven RV02 case
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so my build isn't done yet, but here's what I have picked up so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.94 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar TP67XE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.62 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $403.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-02 11:12 EDT-0400)
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

noiseredux wrote:so my build isn't done yet, but here's what I have picked up so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WkC4/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.94 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar TP67XE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Storage: OCZ Vertex 450 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.62 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $403.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-02 11:12 EDT-0400)

Are you really on a budget? Because you could get a stronger CPU and Mobo..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

s1mplehumar wrote:Have several builds scattered throughout the house, but here's the one that gets all the loving:

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Memory: G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3 (1866)
GPU: x2 Sapphire 7970 (Xfire) 1200/1700
SSD/HDD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro (512GB) + 3TB Seagate Barracuda
Display: Crossover 27" @ 2560x1440
Case: Antec 900 decked out with Cougar silent fans
PSU: SeaSonic X-1250 1250w - got it for a steal!

That's pretty much the future proof bang for you buck build.. Except I would try for a 3770 or 3770k.. I bet the SSD is probably the highest priced item in the set.. Not overall just saying relative to their placement.. Actually the monitor is pretty pricey as well..
Last edited by EvilRyu2099 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

EvilRyu2099 wrote:Are you really on a budget? Because you could get a stronger CPU and Mobo..

I think he put that together to represent more what he has in-hand or on the way already.

I sent him a 120GB Vertex II and Win7, he got the motherboard from a friend, he already has the video card, etc. So that'd be more an approximation of what it'll be when it all comes together than a shopping list.