Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Post by ExedExes »

I've got a laptop and a desktop on XP SP3, and a laptop and a desktop on Vista SP2. I think my "gaming" needs will be fulfilled for the forseeable future :)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

lisalover1 wrote:The way I see it, the main problem Windows 8 presents to gaming comes from the new Windows RT. Windows RT, the ARM processor version of Windows, designed mainly for tablets, is incompatible with all previous Windows software. That means that no PC games will be able to run on this version of Windows. How do you explain to the average consumer that their Windows machine can't run PC games?

My understanding is that the core is the same, but it is forked off to ARM and x86.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Personally I'm interested in getting the Surface for Windows 8 Pro and toss the iPad 1 to the kids. Just wish they would release a price point for it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

fastbilly1 wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:The way I see it, the main problem Windows 8 presents to gaming comes from the new Windows RT. Windows RT, the ARM processor version of Windows, designed mainly for tablets, is incompatible with all previous Windows software. That means that no PC games will be able to run on this version of Windows. How do you explain to the average consumer that their Windows machine can't run PC games?

My understanding is that the core is the same, but it is forked off to ARM and x86.

But, that change in processor is what really changes compatibility. Just because the core is the same doesn't mean that it will be compatible.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

lisalover1 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:

But, that change in processor is what really changes compatibility. Just because the core is the same doesn't mean that it will be compatible.

Correct. Software compiled against x86 won't run on ARM. The ARM tablets will only be able to run stuff from the Windows Store. But my understanding is that everything in the Windows Store will be compiled for both x86 and ARM, so you have full compatibility going forward. Combine that with the fact that ARM tablets are touch-centric and most people won't be lamenting that their old keyboard-centric software won't run on the ARM tablets.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:Correct. Software compiled against x86 won't run on ARM. The ARM tablets will only be able to run stuff from the Windows Store. But my understanding is that everything in the Windows Store will be compiled for both x86 and ARM, so you have full compatibility going forward. Combine that with the fact that ARM tablets are touch-centric and most people won't be lamenting that their old keyboard-centric software won't run on the ARM tablets.

I'm beginning to think people just want to hate on Microsoft cause it's fashionable. I mean, of course they are evil, but so is Apple/Google and pretty much every huge multinational corporation that can have me kidnapped and then erased from the face of the earth so only my parents remember I existed. But for some reason when they are evil it's ok.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

MrPopo wrote:Correct. Software compiled against x86 won't run on ARM. The ARM tablets will only be able to run stuff from the Windows Store. But my understanding is that everything in the Windows Store will be compiled for both x86 and ARM, so you have full compatibility going forward. Combine that with the fact that ARM tablets are touch-centric and most people won't be lamenting that their old keyboard-centric software won't run on the ARM tablets.

...Which is exactly why existing distribution platforms are terrified of Windows 8.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

lisalover1 wrote:

...Which is exactly why existing distribution platforms are terrified of Windows 8.

Your comment doesn't make sense. Why are existing distribution platforms concerned with Windows 8? You can still run your Steam client on x86 Windows. Nothing changed.

Would it make sense to have a Steam client for RT? Probably not.

The way I see it, Windows RT is a new market that is focused on mobile computing. By having the GUI be identical across Windows 8 architectures (ARM, x86, x64), it makes it easier to develop an application that runs everywhere if you so desire. But not all applications are suitable for both platforms.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Seems like most people speaking so negatively about Windows 8 are spewing garbage. Some people are acting like the Windows 8 RT limitations are the same as full Windows 8. Can't tell if they are ignorant or perhaps fan boys of another OS.

Anyway, I am 100% on board for an x86 Windows 8 tablet. It's something I've been hoping for for quite a while. Being able to play Windows indie and doujin games on a tablet. Being able to use a version of Chrome that doesn't crash often (Android and iOS). Being able to use Media Player Classic HC. This is a big deal for me. Haha.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

gtmtnbiker wrote:Your comment doesn't make sense. Why are existing distribution platforms concerned with Windows 8? You can still run your Steam client on x86 Windows. Nothing changed.

Would it make sense to have a Steam client for RT? Probably not.

The way I see it, Windows RT is a new market that is focused on mobile computing. By having the GUI be identical across Windows 8 architectures (ARM, x86, x64), it makes it easier to develop an application that runs everywhere if you so desire. But not all applications are suitable for both platforms.

Windows 8 is the start of MS having their own official app store, and the start of fragmenting the application base between Windows Runtime apps and Win32. Steam can still run on the x86 version, but theoretical, future games written for RT will likely be corralled into the MS app store and nowhere else.

Main thing I don't like is that you're right, not all applications are suitable for both platforms...but the desktop version has little choice but to use more touch oriented elements. The next iteration of server uses the Start screen too. :?