In the market for a tablet.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Zing
Next-Gen

Re: In the market for a tablet.

Post by Zing »

Another solution to #1 is to buy a Mac. :D

Yes, iTunes has always sucked on Windows.

Ok, that's not totally true. Since iTunes 7, it has been usable. Before that, it was nearly malware.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: In the market for a tablet.

Post by Cronozilla »

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (was a gift) it's a little overpriced for what it is. But it's still very nice. Reading comics on it is lovely. Netflix on it is great. DLNA streaming ... is ok if you find the right software. And the battery life is astonishing.

But if you want to save some money, the Acer tablets aren't too bad, actually. There's one that's $300-$350 that's pretty nice.

The Motorola tablets are by far the most overpriced options out there.

The main issue with current Android tabs, especially if you want to stream video ... is they use Tegra ... Tegra doesn't hardware decode H.264. It doesn't have the registers or instruction set support. I've only found one application that remotely makes it possible and it's finicky to say the least.

However, outside of that, everything works pretty well. If the Galaxy Tab was about $100 cheaper, I'd call you crazy for NOT getting one.

Also, there's some very good Linux tablets out there, which are cheaper and do have full instruction sets.