In the market for a tablet.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
vlame
Next-Gen

In the market for a tablet.

Post by vlame »

I first of all really want a few things:
big enough screen to read comic books at almost full size.
sd or sdmicro expandability
bright vibrant 1024x768 display
most likely will root for android

budget is most likely $150-350 but possibly under $250

I have qualms with Toshiba. Last I knew they had a horrible warranty on their hard drives a few years ago. Although once I learned the Microsoft zune had a Toshiba drive in it I had to admit I never had a problem with my zune in about 4 years.

the asus transformer. im really leaning towards that one because of the dock/battery/keyboard.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Zing
Next-Gen

Re: In the market for a tablet.

Post by Zing »

I wish you luck. I have tried a couple Android tablets and they blew fat balls.

But seriously, post here after you get one and give a mini-review. I'm interested.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

vlame wrote:the asus transformer. im really leaning towards that one because of the dock/battery/keyboard.

I am all for that... but it will cost about $350 for the non-Prime (still great) version. A friend of mine bought one recently (after it was pointed out that 80% of his friends that owned one were very happy with theirs)... and then bought about $300 worth of accessories in a mindless splurge they initially regretted.

For under $250, I believe the Nook is on sale now for $150. The Amazon Fire for $130.
The Nook is pretty powerful, the Fire is weak, but cheap. Neither have cameras or mics. I would recommend the $180 Lenovo Ideapad A1 for that. (Camera has no flash.)

For under $200, you're looking at single-core processors of about 1.5 GHz with half-gig of RAM. All of them should have at least micro-USB and microSD expansion and 16GB of starting space. Buy a $10 screen-protector and a $30 case, and there's your $250.

Honestly, I really like transformer/convertible/tabletPCs (like a used HP tc4200, IBM X41 tablet, etc.) -- you get nearly full-PC functionality on something with about the same hardware, comes with a keyboard, costs the same ($300)... but weighs 4 lbs. (Is the Pandora Tablet under $500 yet?!)

This reply feels like so much deja vu... except without Ace Harding. Look into the HP tc1100, the pre-Asus Transformer.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

I've been thinking about the Fire because it is so cheap and rootable. I don't think it is very powerful though.

The Transformer is probably the best well budgeted and powerful tablet out there right now. The Galaxy Tab is way over priced imo.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

I am all for that... but it will cost about $350 for the non-Prime (still great) version. A friend of mine bought one recently (after it was pointed out that 80% of his friends that owned one were very happy with theirs)... and then bought about $300 worth of accessories in a mindless splurge they initially regretted.
what did they regret and what accessories did they get?

For under $250, I believe the Nook is on sale now for $150. The Amazon Fire for $130.
The Nook is pretty powerful, the Fire is weak, but cheap. Neither have cameras or mics. I would recommend the $180 Lenovo Ideapad A1 for that. (Camera has no flash.)
its a bit small for what i want it for.

For under $200, you're looking at single-core processors of about 1.5 GHz with half-gig of RAM. All of them should have at least micro-USB and microSD expansion and 16GB of starting space. Buy a $10 screen-protector and a $30 case, and there's your $250.

yeah either that or the discontinued hp one.

Honestly, I really like transformer/convertible/tabletPCs (like a used HP tc4200, IBM X41 tablet, etc.) -- you get nearly full-PC functionality on something with about the same hardware, comes with a keyboard, costs the same ($300)... but weighs 4 lbs. (Is the Pandora Tablet under $500 yet?!)
any exp with the asus trans.? so here you're saying the type of tablet is good but the ones you listed are better for what i can get? and the only negative is the weight difference?

This reply feels like so much deja vu... except without Ace Harding. Look into the HP tc1100, the pre-Asus Transformer.

thanks.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Too bad you don't have a higher budget. I'd imagine comics on the new iPad's display would be absolutely orgasmic.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

vlame wrote:what did they regret (about their Transformer purchase) and what accessories did they get?
That they went well above their planned $200 budget. :lol:
From what I remember, it was an expensive travel case and probably a mouse or dock or such external device.

vlame wrote:(7" is) a bit small for what i want it for.
I could list non-major brand-name 10" slates that are under $250, but I would be just getting their info off Google. The closest I could probably recommend would be the Archos Slate -- Archos is almost-well-known, and they just released a $300 10" model.
The 9.7" HP TouchPad is probably a decent fit for you, size-wise. And it's got 1.5 GHz dual-core processors. But they're probably still selling for $300. (Actually wait, Amazon has used 16GB models for $200.)

vlame wrote:any exp with the asus trans.? so here you're saying the type of tablet is good but the ones you listed are better for what i can get? and the only negative is the weight difference?
It really depends on what else you want to use a tablet for. If it's just a personal media device to watch movies or read a comic on-the-go, or do you want it to do office work, post to RB, edit Wikis, draw, play music, and all that stuff the iPad commercials do?

To that end I've handled the iPad1, the Xoom, the IdeaPad A, the Thrive, the Adam, the Kindle2, the Transformer... probably forgot one or two off-brands... while each had their ups and downs, given the price-tag, I really didn't feel like their price tag warranted a buy just so I can have Spider Solitaire, a harmonica, and a pen-n-pad. (Especially one that didn't have gorilla-glass or a stylus with my butter-fingers.)

Hm, I may be throwing you off because I'm projecting what I want (a Swiss army-knife), not what you want. I apologize for that.

If your primary needs are just a 10" screen w/expansion card slot, you're probably good just getting a used HP TouchPad. Or a Fire-like Coby. (The Google links above also show plenty of new $200 10" tablets are on the way if you want to wait.)

Still, because the design of the Asus Transformer is so well-liked, (Mega Man X on a two-touch screen? Flash games like Super Mario Crossover? Not even if you sync a 6axis/Wiimote) if by any chance you see the 3 lb. HP TC1100 w/keyboard docking station for under $200, SNAG IT! (Half the power, half the lightness, but half the price and you can put Win7 on it. I wouldn't, but you could.)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

to the above poster:
comics, word processor, web, video. that's mostly it. maybe emus?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Too bad you don't have a higher budget. I'd imagine comics on the new iPad's display would be absolutely orgasmic.

1. i don't want itunes on my pc
2. i would just root it to android....
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

vlame wrote:to the above poster:
comics, word processor, web, video. that's mostly it. maybe emus?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Too bad you don't have a higher budget. I'd imagine comics on the new iPad's display would be absolutely orgasmic.

1. i don't want itunes on my pc
2. i would just root it to android....

1. Not needed. iOS devices self activate now. I haven't installed iTunes on my PC.
2. Okay
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

well i didn't know that. maybe i can can save up for one...
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list