Can my computer run game X?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Can my computer run game X?

Post by RCBH928 »

Windows 10, up to what generation(years) should I expect I can run games at full settings?

Can I get PS3 performance?
Last edited by RCBH928 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Looking at the numbers here, "PS3" is probably not far off as it seems like a lot of the later 7th gen titles should run similarly to what the PS3/360 could do with them (~720p, low settings, 25-30fps).

From skimming around, I'd maybe ballpark the Iris 6100 as a mid/upper midrange discrete GPU circa 2008 (Radeon 4850/4870 or Geforce 9800GT), but there are a number of variables, like it being in a laptop and the thermal management that entails, and shared memory (far as I know, integrated graphics scale a fair bit with memory bandwidth).

There's certainly quite a lot you could run, but it wouldn't take a particularly great modern PC to do substantially better either.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'd second the above. Discrete video computer vs laptop even makes a difference. It's kind of sad, not so much as with a legit video chip/card, but it does. Actual video cards in one vs the other usually took a 50% hit back then, but these last couple of years nvidia figured it out to minimize the loss to around 10%.

What you have there could do a PS3 level game on an average of low settings. Truth be told, it's customizing in the end and the engine the game uses. Previous to this, I was using an i5 laptop with a HD3000 intel setup in it. Some few games like the engine in Call of Duty would run damn near a slide show which was a joke in most games (oddly not with World at War) and yet other games I could run a mixture of low and medium settings. You find you can tweak stuff to eek out more, like do you really need fully crafted shadows on each character or would no shadow, a shaded circle, or a nebulous blob that wobbles be alright? Shadows for one can eat a good bit of power away from performance.

And for the record PS3 graphics are still truly fantastic. This newest jump to the PS4/One level hasn't largely improved what you get already. It got more into finer detail, more overall detail in a terrain, more AI operations, junk like that and even 900p/1080p level stuff or even 4K with their PRO models. You're really losing nothing unless you need everything approaching some uncanny valley level of detail.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote: (~720p, low settings, 25-30fps).

From skimming around, I'd maybe ballpark the Iris 6100 as a mid/upper midrange discrete GPU circa 2008 (Radeon 4850/4870 or Geforce 9800GT),

the good news is that I am mostly going to play retro games.

Hey I just wanted to thank you for answering a lot of the technical questions here on the forums.. thanks!

Tanooki wrote:What you have there could do a PS3 level game on an average of low settings. Truth be told, it's customizing in the end and the engine the game uses. Previous to this, I was using an i5 laptop with a HD3000 intel setup in it. Some few games like the engine in Call of Duty would run damn near a slide show which was a joke in most games (oddly not with World at War) and yet other games I could run a mixture of low and medium settings. You find you can tweak stuff to eek out more, like do you really need fully crafted shadows on each character or would no shadow, a shaded circle, or a nebulous blob that wobbles be alright? Shadows for one can eat a good bit of power away from performance.

I haven't played PC games in ages, do they kind of have a button that will auto-customize the game settings to the best of your hardware? maybe a website that can do that for you?

There are a lot of settings that you just don't know if you want more FPS or extra pixels.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yes most games have a button that'll kind of sniff out a best settings, it never is entirely right, but you usually can find a fPS counter to pop on, or just at worst go by feel and then tweak things up/down as you wish for your tastes.

There are places you can try this like this one: http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/
And there's also Can You Run It?! https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Might be worth a try. Both have options. The top one you can select your parts typing the CPU, GPU and RAM(total) in the boxes and put the game name in typing that too and see what it says, or use their little app. The other is more or less use their app or just try guess work against archived min/recommended settings lists.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thanks!

ATARI800XLfan wrote:well looks like I will need a computer rebuild to play Star citizen, since I doubt my dual core and AMD 7770 will be able to do high settings. Am planning on getting a AMD quad core, since AMD cpu's are so easy to OC compared to Intel, and a R9 280X from XFX, and 1866 ram at 12GB, should be a nice upgrade. Hope it can run said game well.

isiolia wrote:Full release is not expected until 2015, but various alpha/beta tests are supposed to start happening across the next year or so.

Speaking of .... this game is still not out :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Nope, it's functional and playable in intended parts, but the whole is anything but near to being done. It's a dysfunctional mess I'm glad I backed off paying into. I keep the emails coming weekly to watch but it has been years.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Tanooki wrote:Nope, it's functional and playable in intended parts, but the whole is anything but near to being done. It's a dysfunctional mess I'm glad I backed off paying into. I keep the emails coming weekly to watch but it has been years.

yeah those comments are about 3.5 years old. The original backers have literally aged, they might have abandoned videogames as a hobby :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Oh I know how old they are, it's just the fact they still haven't put that thing together into a total working package of any sort which is pathetic. The last update I bothered really reading they first got the multiplayer combat arenas going. Then they got the wing commander-esque game going. And I think they're working on or have working the FPS 'Marine' part of the game independently going now too. But that grand vision of the super world with all this cobbled into one massive universe is not happening and I really doubt it ever will. They've suckered millions of dollars into this project with lots of angry or passively at this rate dismissing the game backers as this point.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I have an i7 with an Intel HD 4600 and 8gigs of ram. Laptop. Can I run:

Gothic 1+2 (Maybe 3?)
Their series (excluding the newest)
Arx Fatalis
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP