A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by J T »

Red Rogue
SIZE: 9.5MB

Red Rogue is a 2D sidescroller that that has a roguelike feel to it. There is not an attack button, you instantly attack your enemies by touching them. This means you will have to chase after smaller enemies and avoid larger ones until you level up or snag some excellent equipment from treasure you find along the way. Red Rogue's graphics are simple, but the game is fast paced and surprisingly enjoyable (I'm generally not a huge fan of roguelikes). There's also a browser based version of the game also availabe in the linked image above.
Last edited by J T on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Perspective
SIZE: 125MB

This is a DigiPen student project I've been looking forward to for a little while that just released on 12/12/12. This has the unique concept of being both a 2D platformer and a 3D puzzler at the same time. You'll see what I mean by that if you play the game or watch the trailer in the link. Enjoy!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Maldita Castilla
SIZE: 12MB

The full version of Maldita Castilla also just released on 12/12/12. This is a great Ghosts n Goblins/Black Tiger tribute game. It's made by Locomalito, developer of other great freeware games like They Came From Verminest and Hydorah.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Hawken
SIZE: 2.36 GB

Hawken has moved into open beta. If you're not already playing it, you should join. It is an excellent multiplayer shooter with mechs that have both a good sense of weight and speed.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

J T wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
J T wrote:Vanguard Princess
(Size: 743 MB)

Vanguard Princess is impressive in every way. The graphics are fantastic with carefully detailed sprite work and excellent animations. The sound is great and includes voicework. And most importantly, it is a hell of a lot of fun with plenty of depth to keep you going. Oh yeah, and sexy anime babes, if that's your thing.

The fighting is fast with a lot of stuff going on at one time. Most of the moves are fairly easy to execute with standard SFII-style input commands. They lend nicely to chaining combos as well. Additionally, you have a side character that can help you fight from the sidelines, which adds a unique element to the game. All the side characters are little girls that run around in the background and can be pulled into the battle to aid in building combos.

If you only play one doujin fighting game, this should be it.

This game has been posted about on Racketboy in the past, but at the time it wouldn't just run on an English system. You had to add all this stuff to get your PC to understand the Japanese text. I remember I tried to do it awhile back and I put all this language changing software on my PC and for a brief second I almost got stuck in a Japanese setting where I couldn't read anything and I was scared I wouldn't be able to figure out how to turn it back to English. Thankfully, someone else has now taken care of that now and released this US Patched version of the game so you can just unpack the files and run the game without any worries. The patched version also includes LunaPort.exe, which makes it so you can play the game online. The image link above will lead you to a download for the patched version. You will need to change the file extension from '.exez' to '.exe' to run it.

Normally this thread on Shoryuken has extensive info about this game, but it appears to be down today. Though it was working yesterday, so I'm not sure what is up.

JT, I changed "exez" to "exe" and it unzipped, but gave me a folder full of files with the extension ".player" and that's it. No idea how to run this?

Those of you interested in this game, it has been translated to English and made available on GamersGate. It's currently on sale for $5, but retails for $10.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VP/vanguard-princess

It's also on Amazon.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Cart Life

This is peculiar title. It won't appeal to those that want their video games to be about escapism, but if you're looking for something different with an every-joe protagonist doing nothing special other than trying to get by, this game has a lot of interesting ideas and isn't quite like anything else. It is sometimes sad, sometimes stressful, and sometimes charming. It's real.

Kotaku article and interview
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Not Pacman
SIZE: 4.5MB
Windows, Mac, and Linux are all supported.

*Click for download*

From the same people that brought you the Mari0 Portal game comes Not Pacman. In this unique version of Pacman, you rotate the maze and let the characters fall. Eat all the pellets without dropping the ghosts on your head!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Though it may have been mentioned, Monkey Island Swordfighting in your browser:
http://www.int33h.com/test/mi/
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Street Fighter X Mega Man (version 2.0)

The fantastic fan-based Street Fighter/Mega Man crossover game has just been updated to v2.0. This adds a few new features, but mostly just irons out the kinks and fixes some bugs. You can also get the soundtrack for free! A-Rival has put together a fantastic sounding series of 8-bit renditions of the Street Fighter II soundtrack for this game.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Did you ever list Planetside 2?
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread