A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by AmishSamurai »

I know there's a bajillion Touhou doujin games out there (including Touhouvania, Super Marisa World, Mega Mari, and so on), but this is the first one I've seen with voice acting O_O
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

So I just beat Terra: The Legend of the Geochine. Wow, what a fantastic game. I wish it was longer. I love the gameplay and wanted to see more levels, particular outside as I love the graphics in the little bits of outdoor setting that are in the game. The more I played on, the more I realized that they really came up with a lot of great uses for the ball rolling mechanic. There are elements of Marble Madness, Odama, and the final boss of the game is kind of a pinball machine without flippers. The end boss is really hard by the way. I used quite a few curse words before victory finally came. Nevertheless, I really liked this one a lot.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

J T wrote:(...) The end boss is really hard by the way. I used quite a few curse words before victory finally came. (...)

I read it and thought it looked like curse words were a special ability or item in-game :)

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Ivo wrote:
J T wrote:(...) The end boss is really hard by the way. I used quite a few curse words before victory finally came. (...)

I read it and thought it looked like curse words were a special ability or item in-game :)

Ivo.

Haha. No, that's just my own personal special ability. I'm like the incredible hulk of videogames... the more angry I get, the better I play. Cursing helps fuel the green rage.

Also, some kind person just sent me a pm with this video of a bonus stage that is not in the game, but should appear after the final stage (so yeah, spoilers lie ahead):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntK3wFRWpo
Swordplay

Post by Swordplay »

Hello, one of the designers of Terra here.

Glad you enjoyed the game.

And yeah, we wish it were longer too, we had a lot of other ideas and prototypes that could not make it in.

:)

Just wondering for the final boss, how did you defeat it?
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Swordplay wrote:Hello, one of the designers of Terra here.

Glad you enjoyed the game.

And yeah, we wish it were longer too, we had a lot of other ideas and prototypes that could not make it in.

Just wondering for the final boss, how did you defeat it?

Hi! Apparently the guy who sent me the video was also a Terra developer. You guys have made an incredible game here! :D I really love it. It's a great concept. I'm glad to see you guys here on the racketboy forum. I told your friend that I know someone that works at Valve, so if you guys want me to pass this game on to him and ask if he knows if there is someone he could put in touch with you about maybe getting you guys hired or something, let me know. I really can't promise they would even listen to me, but I really think you guys have something special here and I'd love to see a full fledged game. I can't believe you guys did this much in half a year!

As for the final boss, I found that I kept getting poisoned by spores if I took too long loading fireballs from the front, so I would ride the wall at the top, and deposit fireballs side ways into the launchers. I would attract his spore-fire on the left, then the right, and then I would hit the center button to launch both balls. I would wait for them to hit the first bumper, then I would twist the geochine to try to direct their direction after that until I knocked out all the blocks and hit the head. I died about a dozen times before I finally got it right though.
Swordplay

Post by Swordplay »

Ah, so you were getting poisoned when loading, not when tilting and running around. Yeah, I guess the timing is a little tight and you gotta know to load and run instead of load and hanging around.

Sure you can ask your friend to pass the game to the guy, but we all got jobs already.

And less than half a year actually, 5 months to be exact.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Orbiter: Space Flight Simulator
(Size: 120 MB)

This is one I'm throwing in for you flight simulator fans out there. I am not a flight simulator fan so I haven't even tried this one yet, but I read a glowingly positive review of this game that said it has all of the depth of Microsoft's Flight Simulator if it were focused on the space program. So if you're a fan of realism and simulation, give this one a try.
Last edited by J T on Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

J T wrote:Orbiter: Space Flight Simulator
(...)
So if you're a fan of realism and simulation, give this one a try.

Orbiter? I haven't tried but if it is how I think it is, it is going to give you an heck of a challenge to just keep the thing from crashing back to Earth or from shooting out of orbit.

Playing the Force levels in Osmos was enough of that kind of action for me :)

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Heh, yeah... that's why I haven't played it.

I usually play the games to make sure they are any good before I put them in this thread, but I always get turned off by simulators because of the super steep learning curve. However, I saw that it got high praise and I know some people here love simulators, so I thought I'd throw one in for kicks.