Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
User avatar
mrkola
16-bit
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Big Rapids, Michigan

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by mrkola Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

mrkola

It would definitely be nice to have some more people to play with ^__^. Instagib anyone?!
Systems: Odyssey²|Atari2600|NES|Famicom|SMS|MVS|Genesis/32x|MVS|TG16|SNES|3DO|Saturn|PS1|N64|Dreamcast|PS2|oXbox|
GameCube|Xbox 360|Wii|PS3|WiiU|XbONE|PS4|Gameboy|GameGear|Virtual Boy|Nomad|GBP|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|3DS|Vita
[Collection -Out of Date] [DeviantArt] [last.fm] [Big Rapids LAN]
User avatar
bacteria
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by bacteria Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 am

instagib mode is fun!
I am the Bacman
The Last Horseman
128-bit
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by The Last Horseman Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Might look into this. Is it still popular? And is there gamepad support? (I have a wired 360 pad)
Systems: Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Xbox 360

WTB: Boxes for a silver Gamecube System(and a hyperport cover), and a box for an Ice Blue N64 console. Will pay 7.50 for each and shipping.
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am

The Last Horseman wrote:Might look into this. Is it still popular? And is there gamepad support? (I have a wired 360 pad)


It's not real popular, and I don't think there's gamepad support. This is also one of those games that you 100% do need a M&K or you won't have much fun.

If you don't mind single player though, the Dreamcast port of Quake III (which is the same game) is pretty good. You also won't die repeatedly from people who have the reflexes of a cat and the eyesight of an eagle, who have been playing since 2000.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
cptfishstick
8-bit
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by cptfishstick Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 pm

As someone who has played quake III since the test release in 99, I can vouche that Quake Live is hard. Its not just hard because it is filled with veterans, it is hard because they retooled the weapons. They are balanced differently, so people like me who know the original, are often messed up by the shift.

I still enjoy it, its a great way to play a classic, for free. However, If you are looking to play the single player, and against adjustable and forgiving bots, buy the data files on Steam and download the ioQuake3 source port, which will give you a flawless experience in windows 7, OSX, or Linux.

btw, my online name is CptFishStick.

Don't let being killed bring you down. I only ever play on the servers where people are more advanced than me, so I usually come in at the bottom. The only way to get better is to challange yourself. That's why I only play games on the hardest difficulty.
User avatar
Zing
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by Zing Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 am

I remember playing tim_dm1.bsp* on the leaked test and my mind being blown. What a great game. I played it for years.

I did get into Quake Live for about a month. I was "Spicegirl", just as I have always been since Quake 2. I found that I was ignoring all of my other games due to it. I would get lazy and just fire up Quake instead of playing any of the other dozens of games I have. I also got annoyed by the same maps being played all the time and the relative dearth of players.

*I believe it was renamed q3dm5 in the final version.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
User avatar
auxint
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by auxint Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 am

cptfishstick wrote:As someone who has played quake III since the test release in 99, I can vouche that Quake Live is hard. Its not just hard because it is filled with veterans, it is hard because they retooled the weapons. They are balanced differently, so people like me who know the original, are often messed up by the shift.

I still enjoy it, its a great way to play a classic, for free. However, If you are looking to play the single player, and against adjustable and forgiving bots, buy the data files on Steam and download the ioQuake3 source port, which will give you a flawless experience in windows 7, OSX, or Linux.

btw, my online name is CptFishStick.

Don't let being killed bring you down. I only ever play on the servers where people are more advanced than me, so I usually come in at the bottom. The only way to get better is to challange yourself. That's why I only play games on the hardest difficulty.


Pretty sure I've seen you on there before. Name is skoalfinecut on QL.

I got ranked up to tier 4 in CA again so I've been playing nothing but instafreeze and instactf for the most part.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by RCBH928 Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:01 pm

excuse me , I am wondering are people still playing Quake Arena, the game from '99 at quakecon?
Isnt it too outdated?
User avatar
Zing
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by Zing Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Quake III Arena is likely the best overall arena-style FPS ever created. Of course people still play it.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
User avatar
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9207
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm
Location: Denver CO, USA

Re: Share your Quake Live names!

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm

kingmohd84 wrote:excuse me , I am wondering are people still playing Quake Arena, the game from '99 at quakecon?
Isnt it too outdated?


As a retro gamer (on a retro gaming site) you should know better than to ask if it's too outdated. :wink:

Besides, as mentioned, Quake III/Quake Live is one of the best competitive games ever made. Like Counter Strike. It wont die.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Return to Personal Computers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests