PC build thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: PC build thread

Post by isiolia »

I don't disagree that you can get that kind of life out a machine...but you can't tend to cheap out on parts at that point either. :lol:

To me, the bigger thing to consider is whether a tower/etc is really the best fit for their usage. You can browse the web perfectly well with $150 commodity hardware today. In 10 years? It'll probably be positively archaic to have a desktop PC just for that.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:The problem with having a PSU die, is that it can easily take the mobo with it. Every system I've had die on me has been because of PSU or mobo issue, and sometimes both, because the first contributed to the second.

Stop buying horrible PSUs.

isiolia wrote:To me, the bigger thing to consider is whether a tower/etc is really the best fit for their usage. You can browse the web perfectly well with $150 commodity hardware today. In 10 years? It'll probably be positively archaic to have a desktop PC just for that.

Well, they're in their 60's. They're archaic. They still have flip phones. A desktop/laptop is what they know how to use, and that's what they're gonna use until they die. Also, for some reason, the older you get the harder it gets to read things. You're always gonna be able to have the biggest screen with a desktop, where even the standard 19-21" monitor is much bigger than the largest tablets.

So... Yeah... I'm off to check out CPUs, I guess. :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ziggy587 wrote:Well, they're in their 60's. They're archaic. They still have flip phones.

Do you realize that you feel like having a flip phone is archaic, when just five years ago you'd be saying "they don't even have a cell phone" to describe how backwards they are?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

MrPopo wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Well, they're in their 60's. They're archaic. They still have flip phones.

Do you realize that you feel like having a flip phone is archaic, when just five years ago you'd be saying "they don't even have a cell phone" to describe how backwards they are?

I never said flip phones were archaic, I said they were. Their refusal to jump from flip phone to smart phone fully explains why they need a desktop and not a tablet/Chromebox/whatever.

Do you guys not understand how their generation works? They all had cell phones 5 years ago.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Ziggy587 wrote:Do you guys not understand how their generation works? They all had cell phones 5 years ago.

My parents are nearly that age, but have smartphones, tablets, etc. That said, they also persist on having both desktop and laptop computers, despite that their usage really doesn't warrant the desktops (particularly). Part of why I suggested what I did is because of that. The Q6600 based system I built my mom for Christmas in '07 is still working perfectly well...though I can look at it and wonder why they continue to carve out a space in their den for it when 90% of her computing is on an iPad these days.

So, yes, I understand the difficulty...but it doesn't change the practicality of it :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:The problem with having a PSU die, is that it can easily take the mobo with it. Every system I've had die on me has been because of PSU or mobo issue, and sometimes both, because the first contributed to the second.

Stop buying horrible PSUs.

After the first time it happened I did, but the thing is, unless you have a fancy UPS to plug your PC into, it has to deal with surges, spikes, brown outs, power cut-outs, dirty power, and all sorts of things that even a relatively healthy power system can't truly prevent. Buying a fancy PSU is not a guarantee that it will last 10 years and not take out half the other parts in your system when it dies.

My encouragement would be, instead of trying to build a very expensive email/web box that you want to last 10 years, but them a cheap commodity email/web box with a good quality external backup drive. Then plan on simply replacing that cheap box when it dies. I realize that may seem a little wasteful, but that way you can slowly upgrade their hardware as websites get more demanding.

On the other hand, it seems like you are really into this project, and I suspect you are trying to balance their needs against your desire to build a cute little box for them. So in that light, you probably want to avoid AMD CPUs, since they run hotter and suck down more power. I suggest a balance of power vs power consumption, which is going to mean a lower-clocked Intel part. Going with a low power build that will require few to no fans save what's in the power supply can be a great way to reduce moving parts. Since they won't need much HD space, get them a small SSD. They are unlikely to max that out in 10 years and you won't have to worry about head drops or mechanical failures.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:After the first time it happened I did, but the thing is, unless you have a fancy UPS to plug your PC into, it has to deal with surges, spikes, brown outs, power cut-outs, dirty power, and all sorts of things that even a relatively healthy power system can't truly prevent. Buying a fancy PSU is not a guarantee that it will last 10 years and not take out half the other parts in your system when it dies.

I'll agree about there being no guarantees. Of course there's always the chance of being unlucky and having the worst case scenario happen. But you might be too use to this "throw it away and buy a new one every year" attitude that every one seems to be in. Things should last more than a few years, power supplies included. How long do you expect your TV to last? How about your NES that's 30 years old, that power supply is fine.

Surges and spikes shouldn't be a concern. If you're spending decent money on something, you should be plugging it into a decent surge protector. The one from the dollar store might not cut it, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get something that will protect you from surges. And people don't understand that surge protectors should be replaced every so often. The component that protects you from surges will slowly degrade. Higher end surge protectors have indicators for this. Also, a decent PSU should have it's own protections built into it, and those protections should work. Your PSU shouldn't blow up the rest of your computer.

When I was growing up, it was common to unplug electronics during a lightening storm. Why has that gone away?

Power loss is only a concern for mechanical HDDs.

I'm not being optimistic about wanting a desktop to last at least 10 years, that's what you should get out of something decent. How many people on RB have XP machines still kicking? Win98? I know I have several. My Win98 desktop is still doing fine, and it's 17 years old!

marurun wrote:My encouragement would be, instead of trying to build a very expensive email/web box that you want to last 10 years, but them a cheap commodity email/web box with a good quality external backup drive. Then plan on simply replacing that cheap box when it dies. I realize that may seem a little wasteful, but that way you can slowly upgrade their hardware as websites get more demanding.

Who said anything about building them a "very expensive" box? I can throw together a PC for $500, give or take. And unless their unlucky that $500 desktop should long out last anything they could buy for that price, primarily because desktops at the price usually have cheap mobos and almost always have really poor PSUs.

marurun wrote:On the other hand, it seems like you are really into this project, and I suspect you are trying to balance their needs against your desire to build a cute little box for them.

Not at all. I offered to do it for them as a favor. I have no desire to build them a PC. I told them I could build them a new desktop for around $500 and that it should last a good 10 years. Or, I'd help them pick out a new desktop for $250-500 that'll last as long as their last one did. They went with me building one.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

isiolia wrote:The Q6600 based system I built my mom for Christmas in '07 is still working perfectly well.

Ah, an 8 year old computer you built is still working perfectly fine! :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Difference of opinions aside on the longevity of a desktop, and whether or not a desktop is the best choice, anyone wanna critique my build?

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116950

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813132123

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811121003

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151117

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

My reasoning:

I went with that CPU because it was pretty much the cheapest option. I was surprised to find that AMD isn't the cheaper and more power efficient options right now, as that use to always be the case.

I would have liked the mobo to be a little cheaper, but I was a little surprised at the slim pickings for the tier I need. Asus is usually a solid choice, and this board looks decent. I'll be using the Intel HD graphics from the CPU. We might laugh at the power of it, but it'll be more than enough for web browsing and streaming video from YouTube or news sites or whatever. The rest of the features of the mobo are pretty standard. I would have rather had a mini ATX board for a few extra "just in case" PCI slots, but whatever.

The RAM, 4GB is gonna be just fine. And that set is pretty much the best priced on NewEgg right now (of the brands that I'm willing to buy), as well as the highest rated.

The HDD, I was kinda torn between getting a SSD or not. I know I could get one for that price, or a tad bit more, but it's not gonna add a performance boost for what they'll be doing on it. Also, $50 for 500GB, can't beat that! I know 500GB will be excessive for them, but the 250GB drive in that line is only $3 less right now. Besides, who knows if they'll start using a digital camera in the next year and wanna dump their vacation photos on there (they go on vacation often). The extra space wont ever heart.

The case, normally a case at that price totally sucks. But it just so happens that I've used that case before for my Mom's desktop. Well, from a few years ago when it was silver and black. Hopefully it's made the same, just that it's now all black. But, it's absolutely PERFECT, and you can't beat that price (well, you can, but it'll be total garbage). It doesn't look like it has the best cooling, but you'd be surprised. My Mom's desktop, with an i5, runs ice cold. And the case doesn't build up dust that fast.

The PSU, it's 80 Plus Gold and not priced high at all.

As for the OS, I'm probably gonna go with Win7 Home Premium for $100 (OEM) unless some one wants to talk me into getting 8.1 (same price). The only reason I was considering 8 is that it'll probably be supported a while longer than 7. Otherwise, I see no difference for what this PC will be doing.

I don't think I need an optical drive, the one from their current desktop should be fine (it's probably brand new). And I don't know if that case comes with a fan, but regardless, I'll be getting one anyway. For less than $10, I can get a fan that will probably long outlast whatever would come with a $35 case.

I'm not really looking for any brand loyalty arguments, like "Get Seagate, not WD!" But I'm always open to any thoughts, even criticism.

It'll be a little under $500 before tax (minus $20 if I can save them the optical drive). I would have liked the mobo to be less, but I didn't see anything for less that convinced me. And there's no (legal way of) getting around the price of Windows. Unless I go with Ubuntu, but I don't think that's a good idea. The rest of the prices, that's as cheap as you can get without getting garbage. It'll be a million times better than whatever they could buy for $500. Last I checked, Dells and HPs don't come with 80 Plus certified PSU, and often times have off brand RAM, less than stellar HDDs, etc.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Consider 8 GB RAM if you want this to make it 10 years. Software is only going to get bigger, especially for interacting with the web.

The PSU looks good, rates well, but I did see a couple comments in the reviews that make me wonder. You can never tell with on-line reviews, though. There's a Thermaltake that's a couple less (before rebate, $12 cheaper after) that's also 80Plus Gold that probably would also work.

I noticed the case you chose is out of stock. Dunno if that means there was a model change or this is a temporary thing.

Have you ever considered a slower, 5400 RPM internal drive? They do slow things down a little, but I have found the slower speed imparts a little extra reliability. Then again, they may be harder to find these days for less money.

A Gigabyte motherboard could possibly shave some $$ off the mobo costs. They've switched to solid caps across almost their entire line as part of a focus on improving durability, and they have some nice, simple lower-end options.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.