eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Things to sell on ebay?

by Soldier Blue Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Hey guys how is everyone doing today? I would like to know if any of you sell things on ebay other than video games. I could use some ideas for my store. I was thinking any random small odd item but obviously I could use some general ideas. Thoughts?
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Anayo
Next-Gen

Re: Things to sell on ebay?

by Anayo Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:38 pm

My Mom made like $200 on eBay selling yarn. Someone donated a whole shopping cart of it to a nearby thrift store and she scooped it up. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for yarn at thrift stores ever since. XD
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I try and find random items around town or surrounding counties that would be considered older oddities and interesting random stuff and sell it. Lately I've had anything from an earlier to mid 1900s 4 barrel coin changer, or a complete few years old canon digital camera, to a 10 year old minty copy of MS Office 2007 for 3 PCs up there. I look for anything that would catch someones eye and if I can get it very cheap and it's not some odd sized or heavy thing that would be a pain to ship I do it.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Mostly just look for interesting small stuff. People collect all sorts of things just be sure not to spend to much on the stuff and usually you do okay. Definitely don't drop more then $2-3 on a collectible item if it's not something you are familiar with though.

Older toys, legos, and etc. seem to be a pretty easy market to get into if you have an eye for quality.
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I buy an sell Magic cards. A lot. Like three to four thousand dollars a year buying and selling. I have to report profits when I file taxes.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:52 pm

There's some money to be had in the used cellphone market. I make way more on eBay than locally on Facebook or whatever when I go to sell my old ones (which doesn't happen very often for most items). When start blabbing on about how great their new $700 toy is, you could probably ask them about their 1-2 year old previous phone and they might have it. They may give to you for pennies on the dollar or even free.

On the flip side, I'd stay stay away from DVDs and books. Unless they're something rare/collectable, they'll sit for a long time. When they do sell, you'll likely lose money or the margins will be so thin that it won't be worth the time packaging and mailing.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Selling crap on eBay is like 50-75% of my actual job. I'll tell you this, people will buy just about ANYTHING on there. Never hurts to try.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 pm

this thread is really interesting. I've honestly only sold like 2 things on ebay ever - and they were both in the last year. But I was pretty happy with how it went, so I'm thinking about doing more.

I'm thinking the cheaper stuff that Omerta mentioned - movies, CD's, PC games, etc - might work best as lots?

I had no idea about old phones, but is that just like iPhone/Galaxy stuff, or is there any demand for like older no-contract LG models and things like that? Before I had my Galaxy I had Virgin Mobile for YEARS and bought a new phone at least once a year. So I have a bunch of old ones.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes small lots would work as the combined shipping of such things is less than individually. If you can throw 3 things in a box for $4, or charge $3 shipping on each, people will walk from the paying more.

Any of that stuff, look it up, ebay, sold only (not completed) and see how it rolls. I've got a book here I'm going to throw on ebay shortly that's Resident Evil based from a decade ago and it's worth like $70 (and retailed in the day for $25.)

Example, any game guide, if it is one that's official Nintendo, if you can bag it for $1-5 you're likely going to make a nice little bit of margin on it unless it's a very overly printed guide then they can bottom out around $5-10. Also games that are a bit popular but obscure, the guides can be worth like $40+ more (Skies of Arcadia Legends, Earthbound, and others.)

CDs unless they're rare print runs or very minimal likely won't be worth squat even if they have a good fan base so unless they can be picked up for just a few dollars, it's not worth it (like buy for $3 sell for $10 sure, but not buy $3 sell for $5-6...pointless.) Just keep a phone on you if you have any doubt and search whole holding the item.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 pm

Omerta wrote:There's some money to be had in the used cellphone market. I make way more on eBay than locally on Facebook or whatever when I go to sell my old ones (which doesn't happen very often for most items). When start blabbing on about how great their new $700 toy is, you could probably ask them about their 1-2 year old previous phone and they might have it. They may give to you for pennies on the dollar or even free.

I've always heard electronics can be a nightmare to sell especially used. People always said it is the worst market to get into since uneducated buyers and/or faulty products lead to a much higher rate of returns than most other categories.

I also try to avoid high dollar items my bread and butter is stuff in the $10-$50 once you start getting into the $100+ zone the risk of scams and items being damaged during shipping or by the buyer puts me a little on edge even when items are insured.
Return to Auctions