eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Fragems
Next-Gen

Ebay Fee Question. BIN vs. Auction Final Value Fees

by Fragems Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Final Value fees seem to be the same but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. Are there any more experienced sellers here who know if there is really any downside to using fixed price listings.

Considering just swapping over to fixed prices since I've been having to deal with a lot of unpaid item cases recently :roll: . Plus auctions in general are just getting to be tiring.
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay Fee Question. BIN vs. Auction Final Value Fees

by aaron Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Fragems wrote:Final Value fees seem to be the same but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. Are there any more experienced sellers here who know if there is really any downside to using fixed price listings.

Considering just swapping over to fixed prices since I've been having to deal with a lot of unpaid item cases recently :roll: . Plus auctions in general are just getting to be tiring.

i can tell you from experience that you'll likely make more money using fixed prices and listing them as "good 'til completed." if you REALLY want it to sell then accept offers on it. you can set it so that it will auto-accept or auto-decline an offer if it's at or below a certain amount.

the fee breakdown is confusing as shit to me so i just haven't really messed with it yet. i'm debating on whether or not i should list JUST on eBay or JUST on amazon, but for right now it's working out reasonably well for me to list on both.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm

I stopped listing on Amazon a while back payouts took 2+ weeks(even after a few dozen transaction the delay didn't get removed :P) and the insertion fees were a killer. Was $1 per listing + %15 final value for games. Feedback was also a nightmare :P unless you spam them with reminders people wouldn't bother leaving any since it didn't really benefit their account :P.

Ebay on the other hand has free insertions and a solid feedback system. Fees are only around %10 final value + %4 pay pal and they usually give you a %10-20 rebate on shipping which helps cover my shipping material expenses.

About the only thing I likes about Amazon was they told you upfront how much you would receive after the item sold, but you can easily do the same thing using a eBay fee calculator when using fixed pricing.

Edit: Played around with some fee calculators and pretty much auctions and fixed price have the same 10% final value fee. The only difference between the two is if you are willing to start your auction insanely low and that only saves you a few cents.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:41 pm

aaron wrote:
Fragems wrote:Final Value fees seem to be the same but I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. Are there any more experienced sellers here who know if there is really any downside to using fixed price listings.

i can tell you from experience that you'll likely make more money using fixed prices and listing them as "good 'til completed." if you REALLY want it to sell then accept offers on it. you can set it so that it will auto-accept or auto-decline an offer if it's at or below a certain amount.

the fee breakdown is confusing as shit to me so i just haven't really messed with it yet. i'm debating on whether or not i should list JUST on eBay or JUST on amazon, but for right now it's working out reasonably well for me to list on both.

In my experience selling games is much better on ebay than amazon since amazon takes about 10% final value + $1 + listing fees where eBay is just 10% final value and free listing (up to 50 items per month).

It use to be different but I know for sure that right now eBay is only charging 10% final value fees for both Auctions and Fixed Price (Buy It Now) video game, console, and accessory listings. So if you prefer fixed price listings over auctions or vice versa there is no fee disadvantage for either.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Return to Auctions