Next-Gen

Re: The WTF/LOL Ebay/Craigslist Link Extravaganza Thread

by Gunstar Green Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 pm

I see, thanks.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:50 pm

We donate car loads of clothes and such to the Goodwill. Should I be donating to an other charitable outlet?

Something about the less than a dollar wage leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Kids with down syndrome who work at McDonalds are getting the same wage as their peers, no?
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Whenever possible we donate our stuff to the local city mission now.

Last time we donated something to the goodwill was when we cleaned out our DVD collection :P. When we dropped them off the guy was bragging about how he was going to pick out the best ones for himself which was kind of awkward :roll:. Next day I came in to look for some records/random stuff and they had them all upfront marked for $5 each :shock:. There are 3-4 pawnshops within a mile of this place and they all sell DVDs for $1.

Also see alot of items which were returned to manufactures mostly cellphone chargers, tv cables, etc. Best thing about those is they have clear stickers saying why they were returned so it's very clear that they don't work. However they still get marked up $8-10 as if they were new.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Luke wrote:We donate car loads of clothes and such to the Goodwill. Should I be donating to an other charitable outlet?

Something about the less than a dollar wage leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Kids with down syndrome who work at McDonalds are getting the same wage as their peers, no?

You know who doesn't get paid below minimum wage? Their top executives.

http://watchdog.org/83209/policies-tax-dollars-enrich-goodwill-execs/
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Luke wrote:We donate car loads of clothes and such to the Goodwill. Should I be donating to an other charitable outlet?

It's my opinion that Goodwill is a terrible company. I don't believe that they are a charitable organization. Not only because of the low wages issue, but because they are a for profit company. While the Salvation Army isn't the greatest organization out there, at least they aren't for profit and they do good things for the communities they serve. You could always donate clothing to local churches, homeless shelters, or half-way houses.

Just my $.02
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: The WTF/LOL Ebay/Craigslist - Goodwill offshoot discussi

by Hazerd Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Man, what a steal.... :roll: went back the next day and someone had bought it, so must of been a deal for someone out there.

I would think $3 would be tops for this at GoodWill.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm essentially done with Goodwill.

Their business practices are awful.

They use internet/eBay pricing on their goods now. No cheap flat-rate deals to be found anymore.

I donate to Planet Aid or the local schools.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm

i donate to local charities or just save for a big garage sale now. goodwill is seriously the worst company ever. a retail store masquerading as a full-fledged charity.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
alexis524
128-bit

by alexis524 Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 pm

You all make excellent points, but I can't really be too mad at Goodwill since just last month I found 6 complete suits that would normally retail for about $300 each at Macy's for $13 a piece. I'm still in disbelief that I could find 6 fashionable suits that are current style, perfectly tailored with hem, cuff, and all. I've been needing suits for a while and they filled a need I had for much less than it would have cost me otherwise.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Of course packing it in with a bunch of incredibly common games and charging a hundred dollars more than around the maximum that it goes for is pretty insane.

People have Bid it up that much, they didn't start it at "hundreds of dollars". It started at $9.99. :|

FYI...The auction is now up to $900 trillion. :lol: I think Goodwill is going to have a hard time with the troll bids on it.
Return to Auctions