eBay links and general discussion of auctions
kidfresh
24-bit

Prices of US games vs. JP games

by kidfresh Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am

Has anyone else here noticed the difference in price between Japanese models of systems and American models? And the games, at that? Seriously, the prices are exponentially higher for those American editions. It's crazy. Take the Super Nintendo.

US: http://tinyurl.com/ond68ke - this particular Super Nintendo comes with a box, cords, one controller, and Super Mario World loose. It's priced at 119 US dollars. Most decent looking Super Nintendos on eBay are around 90-120 at this moment. Now, check the Super Famicom.

JP: http://tinyurl.com/q43aqv8 - this is a nice lookin' SF with the box, controller, cords and plastic wrap and the 9 yards. It's priced am 65 US dollars. This seems to be consistent across eBay.

Now, let's take Chrono Trigger.

US: http://tinyurl.com/ploxrnk - it's around 200 dollars for the fucker. Granted, it does look like it's in better condition than the Japanese editions that are up for auction right now.

JP: http://tinyurl.com/o2jfs2z - bidding is at $11.50 as I write this. And there's even cheaper CIB versions of JP Chrono Trigger out there right now.

Seriously, check this out: http://tinyurl.com/nnxq9gb - four really ace CIB games and a SF itself. Bidding starts at 120. Granted, this could turn up some high prices as this particular auction still has 2 days left. But I can't help but notice the premium on American games. I'd think that Japanese games were a little more collectable because that's their country of origin. But then again, not everyone can read the language. I'm gonna crack down on my Japanese studies. Collecting American games is milking my fucking paychecks. Am I crazy, or has this been noticed among you guys?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Prices of US games vs. JP games

by TSTR Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:16 am

I think anyone on here who collects Saturn games could go on and on about this.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:16 am

The JP RPGs are so cheap because most people in the west can't read Japanese. For non-RPGs, the prices are much closer, although the JP version is still usually cheaper by a good deal, especially where rare games come into play, like Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters or Hagane.
kidfresh
24-bit

by kidfresh Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 am

It's amazing. I think I'm gonna start collecting more towards the Japanese side. It'll help with my learning the language, and copies of games'll be easier to find when I'm out there. I get the language barriers. But man, the price difference is crazy.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 am

TSTR wrote:I think anyone on here who collects Saturn games could go on and on about this.

Haha,yep. A recent example: Shining Force III (jap) £6 shipped. PAL version £80+ depending on quality.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

1) The SNES and NES probably sold as many units in Japan as it did in the West (if not more, in the case of the SNES which was amazingly popular and the Mega Drive wasn't much competition there). So same number of games for a much smaller population = lower demand = lower price

2) Japan has been going through deflation for like almost 2 decades. So prices there were kept low.

3) Japanese people took care of their games much better than western kids, so you see a LOT more complete games in like new condition, further driving the price down of games in not so good condition.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:46 am

I filled alot of holes in my Super nintendo collection with the super famicom versions, they are often a fraction of the price. Like Hagene, I paid like $25 for it, whats the US version going for? $200? It's the same exact game and its so easy to mod your SNES to play SFC games I don't see the point of paying 10 times the price. Dracula X (XX in japan) got the SFC version for $30 the US version is another $100+ game, same with Aero Fighters (sonic wings in Japan). Saturn is another console where the JP versions of games are usually vastly cheaper than their US counterparts. Unfortunately as stated before the Genesis wasn't as popular in Japan so the prices are generally more for the JP versions, and thats a shame because I would rather have my entire collection be JP megadrive, the art for Megadrive is far superior to the Genesis art.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 am

I've got about 100 import dreamcast and saturn games that I really love having. I've concentrated on this part of my collection like many of you because they can substantially cheaper.... However without being fluent in Japanese, any text heavy or story driven game is almost pointless to own.

If you can't properly navigate the world, enjoy the story line, or battle effectively what the point? Sure for almost any game one could probably follow an online game guide and slowly figure things out over time but that isn't really the best way to experience the game. With that in mind, my copy of Panzar Dragoon Azel (Saga here in the US) is pretty much just taking up space on my shelf. One day I will have to pony up some serious money if I want to purchase PDS to really experience and enjoy the game.

On the flip side, my array of import fighters and shmups is one of my absolute favorite parts of my collection and I've saved plenty of money over buying their US counterparts. Below is an example of what I would consider my smart import purchases (left side) vs dumb (right side).

Last edited by 8bit on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

It really goes on a game-by-game basis. You have to take into account the popularity of a game in Japan versus its popularity in the west. Not to mention rarity differs between regions where a game like Hagane is not very hard to find in Japan but very rare in the United States.

One counter example is Cybernator which is maybe ten bucks in the US. The Japanese version of Assault Suits Valken might run you $40 in comparison.

Also as mentioned, language barrier is a concern. Games that require reading are likely to be cheaper when sold to a western audience because there's very little demand.

I noticed a popular series to fill holes with is Mega Man since Rockman games tend to almost always be substantially cheaper. I wonder if there will be a point where there are more Rockman cartridges in the US than Japan. :lol:
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Even assuming the same production runs for each game, it's obvious that the demand for English version will be higher. There are over twice as many people in the USA alone compared to Japan. Now factor in virtually every other country in the world, all of whom will prefer the English versions.
Return to Auctions