eBay links and general discussion of auctions
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Ebay is annoying for those of us who prefer to buy games locally because we can no longer exploit an informational advantage to purchase games below true market value as often. It is also annoying to see a bunch of idiots who think that they are going to get rich (relatively speaking) buying and selling used videogames. (Even if, every year, I purchased a Nintendo World Championship cartridge and sold it for full market value, I still would not make enough to raise myself above the poverty line.) At some point, all of the "resellers" (i.e., speculators) described above will realize that they cannot used a faded copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 to purchase food, shelter, clothing for their children, etc. and they will sell...and discover the "true" market price for their games. Until then, just sigh, state that you might buy something from them some day if they get their prices in line, and walk away.

My point is that Ebay is a double-edged sword. It lets sellers mark their games up to market value - as is their right - and it lets buyers like us walk away - as is our right - when someone has ridiculous expectations.

Finally, I generally do not have problems buying games fo full price at Goodwill. I will not overpay, but Goodwill employees are generally not a knowledgable as I am about price trends and the role that "condition" plays in a game's market price. Accordingly, I can still pick up some good deals, and I feel like my money is going to a good cause. (Also, my wife absolutely kills them on antiques - which require a much more discerning eye to price correctly - and I feel that paying market price is the least I can do for our collective karma.)

(BTW: Try the "You can't use a video game to buy dinner on the way home tonight" line if you are having a hard time getting a flea market seller to drop his or her price. It works like a charm...expecially at the end of a slow day. Also, whenever I am confronted with someone who says, "Do you know how much I could get for this on eBay?", I calmy reply with something along the lines of: "Yes, but selling on eBay require an account and is a lot of work, and - moreover - you are not selling it on eBay, are you? I, unlike eBay, can put cash in your hand today." The moral is...even the greediest re-sellers have liquidity issues...and true collectors should learn to exploit them to get good deals.)
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Finally, I generally do not have problems buying games fo full price at Goodwill. I will not overpay, but Goodwill employees are generally not a knowledgable as I am about price trends and the role that "condition" plays in a game's market price. Accordingly, I can still pick up some good deals, and I feel like my money is going to a good cause. (Also, my wife absolutely kills them on antiques - which require a much more discerning eye to price correctly - and I feel that paying market price is the least I can do for our collective karma.)

I feel the same way, especially (since you're from Charlotte) at the Goodwill Computer Works store on Freedom Drive.

They have tons and tons of retro games and systems in one place that rivals or beats any regional independent gaming store. The prices are somewhat eBay based on the more well-known games, but even those are usually 20 percent or so cheaper.

Like you said, I don't mind paying their asking price because it's going to a good cause and I want the place to stay around. We had an awesome Computer Works here in town and they shut it down a few years ago. Hell, I got Lunar Silver Star and Earthworm Jim for Sega CD CIB for a dollar each there.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am

lwcook wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Finally, I generally do not have problems buying games fo full price at Goodwill. I will not overpay, but Goodwill employees are generally not a knowledgable as I am about price trends and the role that "condition" plays in a game's market price. Accordingly, I can still pick up some good deals, and I feel like my money is going to a good cause. (Also, my wife absolutely kills them on antiques - which require a much more discerning eye to price correctly - and I feel that paying market price is the least I can do for our collective karma.)

I feel the same way, especially (since you're from Charlotte) at the Goodwill Computer Works store on Freedom Drive.

They have tons and tons of retro games and systems in one place that rivals or beats any regional independent gaming store. The prices are somewhat eBay based on the more well-known games, but even those are usually 20 percent or so cheaper.

Like you said, I don't mind paying their asking price because it's going to a good cause and I want the place to stay around. We had an awesome Computer Works here in town and they shut it down a few years ago. Hell, I got Lunar Silver Star and Earthworm Jim for Sega CD CIB for a dollar each there.

Goodwill Computer Works is an incredible store, and I think that the Freedom Drive location does very well. I was somewhat disappointed when they started using videogamepricecharts.com to start pricing their items, but I cannot blame them for doing so. (It does, however, mean that I likely will not be able to pick up another copy of Rescue Rangers 2 (NES) for $2...)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 am

cookie monster wrote:For me dealers are whats killing the hobby for ex. D&Dgameworld a guy went in with mint copies of diablo,ff7 black label, and ergeiz the owner is offered 10. for everything the owner agrees to 30.00 cash and 15.00 credit cause the store doesn't have 45.00 cash at 1pm to pay him. I was in the next day to look for a saturn rf i saw diablo was 60.00, ff7 45.00, ergeiz was 35.00 This guy prices his stuff above ebay bin prices and condition makes no price difference. The only reason this place is still open is cause it is only open 2 days a week in a flea market.

He'll go out of business shortly - much like every B&M around me. It is definitely a shame the person selling the games didn't know better, but most do not.
sgt.flanders
16-bit

by sgt.flanders Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

If it weren't for eBay, I would barely have a collection at all.

Don't pay the ferryman.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

sgt.flanders wrote:If it weren't for eBay, I would barely have a collection at all.

Are there no game stores that carry retro stuff in your area?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
sgt.flanders
16-bit

by sgt.flanders Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:Are there no game stores that carry retro stuff in your area?

There are, but the pickings are really slim for older stuff. It's rare that I ever stumble upon something really interesting.

Don't pay the ferryman.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 pm

sgt.flanders wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:Are there no game stores that carry retro stuff in your area?

There are, but the pickings are really slim for older stuff. It's rare that I ever stumble upon something really interesting.

Food for thought: the good stuff that shows up just gets thrown on ebay.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:59 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Food for thought: the good stuff that shows up just gets thrown on ebay.

Sad but true.

I remember a few months ago asking a clerk at the local gaming store where all the Virtual Boy games had gone.

"Oh we're selling those on ebay."
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 pm

sgt.flanders wrote:If it weren't for eBay, I would barely have a collection at all.

Me too. That is why I'm so upset over the current state of things. I'm addicted to collecting, and now I can no longer afford to do it. And the sad part is, I make a really good living! It's cheaper for me to drink every night and be sad, than to fund my video game addiction. LOL.

I've even stepped back up to buying current gen games again, since if I'm going to spend $60 per title, I might as well get some good use out of it.

(since although I'm a gamer through and through, a lot of the older titles simply don't hold my attention anymore. I find that I buy retro for the collector value) Don't get me wrong.... I still play the crap outta my "top 10's" for each console.
Return to Auctions