eBay links and general discussion of auctions
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I think a serious problem is the fact that anyone who isn't an experienced ebay user doesn't know the difference between auction prices and BIN prices. I've seen gaming stores price games at the highest BIN price they see upon scrolling ebay (not even realizing that said item will likely be unsold because the price is to high). The gouging has a trickle-down effect.

BIN items are essentially worthless to me these days, as I can usually find the same games cheaper at online stores. I pretty much only use ebay to buy from Japanese sellers.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:51 pm

lwcook wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I'm running into the same price issues I did trying to get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Anything "Mario", "Metroid", etc that has that name automatically gets a price premium for some reason.

The premium isn't random though. The reason is that you, like everyone else, want Mario and Metroid games. That is demand and that raises the value.

Exactly. You are not stuck in traffic; you ARE traffic.

I've learned enough to stay away from the traffic and to just wait for that one game with the title that everyone knows and loves from Nintendo that nobody has bid on yet and grab it. Worked well for the GBA titles.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:47 pm

ExedExes wrote:I've learned enough to stay away from the traffic and to just wait for that one game with the title that everyone knows and loves from Nintendo that nobody has bid on yet and grab it. Worked well for the GBA titles.

Exactly, patience is key in getting a bargain on eBay. If you have to have the game right now then you're going to have to pay for that convenience. If you keep checking the auctions every day you may eventually get lucky and find one that's not getting any bids.

"Buy it now" prices are always going to be astronomical but bids, aka the price the game is ACTUALLY selling at, tend to be a lot more fair and sometimes even cheap.

One of my only gripes is the sellers that re-list when they don't get what they were looking for in an auction but that's a one way ticket to negative feedback for them.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Meh, I personally wouldn't have 90% of the games I have now if not for Ebay. Any thrifty shopper will always wait for a good price on any item, regardless of what it is. I've haven't paid retail for ANY new game in stores for years - I take the same attitude with me whenever I use Ebay. Some games though, like EVO: Search for Eden, that I really wanted and had to have, I've ponied up for, but this is rare for me. Patience really is the key to saving money on Ebay and other online sites.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 am

It bothers me that stores are using E-bay as a reference for how to set their price points. E-bay's prices work for a more global market, but the local places have a smaller list of consumers to choose from (unless they are also selling merch online in addition to their store front). But they can't expect to pull in the same prices as a E-bay when there isn't as large of a pool of people to pull from. This is why so many of the rare items in my local shops have been sitting on shelves for months or years.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J_Wil
32-bit

by J_Wil Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am

legato10 wrote:Oh, and this mentality is not only on Ebay or Amazon. I went to a pawn shop in Webster, TX and found three NES games (Excite Bike, Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt, Mach Rider. All of which were dirty and cart only) that he honestly tried to pitch to me for $25. I gave him a look and then asked how much Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt and, I kid you not, the bastard had the nerve to ask for $20! When I asked why so high he gave me this response: "I ain't no fool. I've been to gamestop. I've seen how much they charge for games." I gave him a "fuck you" look and walked out of there.

$20 for Super Mario Bros./ Duck Hunt at a bastard pawn shop! It's not the place, it's the mentality.

Holy crap! I remember when Game Krazy (or is it "Crazy"? whatever...) was going out of business a few years back and the Mario/Duck Hunt carts were $0.25 a piece and there were so many you could swim in the Scrooge McDuck style.

I think the prices will fall soon enough but the truth is that this is a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube collector's market. Those games are dirt cheap right now so I have been building up my collections for those systems. I think 2004-06 were really good years for my cart based collecting and I don't know if the market will ever be that good again. I still buy the occasional cart if I find a good deal but it doesn't bug me too much if nothing comes up because I generally play pre-1996 games through emulation anyhow, seeing as it's easier than unboxing old systems/games and going through the set-up process.

eBay is still a good place to find rare items, but you'll have to be willing to pay for the convenience. I find it more fun hunting for games out in the wild but if sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more for something I have been yearning for over time.

I don't like that eBay is used to set market prices though. It's not a good barometer. It defnitely doesn't help with those dumb shows making non-gamers believe that because something's old that it's valuable. Only us gamers can squash that not not buying overpriced junk.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

by Thierry Henry Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 am

xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:eBay's not the problem - people purchasing at unreasonable prices are.

Exactly right.

If you get the "masses" prepared to bleed money then the seller is smiling all the way to the bank. Not his/her fault that ridiculous prices are being paid.
If the stuff doesn't sell easily then prices will have to drop.

Personally very rarely do I pay anywhere remotely over the odds for something I want. "just let it go" I say to myself. It's not some kind of race. It's never a race where I have to have it now instead of next week or next month or whatever. Eventually the deal will come. It almost always does.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 am

mjmjr25 wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I'm running into the same price issues I did trying to get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Anything "Mario", "Metroid", etc that has that name automatically gets a price premium for some reason.

The premium isn't random though. The reason is that you, like everyone else, want Mario and Metroid games. That is demand and that raises the value.

My question is who buys at these prices?
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 am

J T wrote:It bothers me that stores are using E-bay as a reference for how to set their price points. E-bay's prices work for a more global market, but the local places have a smaller list of consumers to choose from (unless they are also selling merch online in addition to their store front). But they can't expect to pull in the same prices as a E-bay when there isn't as large of a pool of people to pull from. This is why so many of the rare items in my local shops have been sitting on shelves for months or years.

Yeah I know what you mean. I infrequently go to this one independent game store that uses eBay prices usually only to find the same games sitting around as the last time I visited. He only seems to stay in business selling modern games because the mall across the street from him doesn't have a Gamestop.

Contrast this with a pawn shop I was at once who had an experienced guy running it, though he used eBay as a guideline he looked at the actual selling prices and then took a hefty percentage off of that because he knew he had to move the product in a far more limited market.
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:11 am

Good discussion guys (and gals?). Good points made by all. I think both sides of the coin have it right.

But I cannot defend the eBay sellers at all. Another topic of issue, "Best Offer" on eBay.

In my opinion, best offer means that when multiple people offer you something for your wares, you accept the best one of them. However, 9 times out of 10, I get my best offer declined, and a counter offer of exactly $1 off the BIN price. Why even bother have this feature? I played with it again last night with 3 or 4 different sellers, just to see what would happen. One guy, I have him down to a whopping $3 less than his BIN price. I suppose I'm more mad at the feature being there, then the seller not using it properly.

As for the bubble we have mentioned, I started collecting "hard core" about a year and a half ago. Really hitting flea markets and goodwills everyday and eBay every night. I can literally look at my purchase receipts from a year ago and see that by today's prices, they have inflated by 5 times or more. That has happened very quickly. Prior to last year, I was a casual collector and I cannot remember the prices ever jumping so quickly.

I guess my main point is this: Has something happened in just the last year? Are people preparing for the end of the world or something? (2012) Or have these new TV shows really had that much of an impact on this kind of stuff?
Return to Auctions