eBay links and general discussion of auctions
BrokenGeode
16-bit

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by BrokenGeode Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Sload Soap wrote:
BrokenGeode wrote:This doesn't seem to have happened in Britbongland yet. I can still cop stuff at charity shops for like £3-4 and most Retro Game shops seem to be selling at like £5-10 for most titles still. Unless it's something rare they don't really go higher than £15.

For the majority, yes, stuff is very reasonable. CEX can sometimes be stupidly cheap for modern stuff and I got Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy 13 for £3 each from cash converters. It might be my location, Manchester, but the only places I've found that do retro games tend to have prices at the higher end of the BIN's on ebay. They even sell fakes though at a ever so slightly reduced cost for example £20 for Metroid Fusion cart only and £16 for the fake. I have never seen either a Neo Geo or Turbografx in the wild and there aren't even that many of the things you'd expect from a British retro store; namely Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amiga game and machines.

If you know of any good retro shops in the north or midlands please tell me though.

Leeds here. Not much in the vein of Retro shops here but as per usual CEX and Granger games can be pretty decent. The two shops I've managed to visit the most up north are probably a Second Hand toy shop in Filey next to Filey Fisheries and where the computer repairs shop used to be, offers decent prices for most stuff, managed to cop a Dreamcast with 3 games (Virtua Fighter 3, Tomb Raider and Track and Field I think) for £15. The second would be a kinda sketchy shop in Bridlington which sells second hand everything from DVDs to consoles to Arcade sticks. Also I've been meaning to check out the Retro Shop in Manchester's Affleck's Palace, although I'd presume you've already been there.
Insert Cool Signature Here
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 pm

The shop in Afflecks is indeed the one I'm referring to. There is also Entertainment Trader opposite the Arndale fish market that looks like a rip-off of CEX from the outside, but sells old vinyl, guitars, DVDs, TVs, laptops and some retro games. I find ET to be better for proper bargins than Afflecks, though the manager has gotten cannier recently and uses ebay as a reference.

This isn't to say I don't buy anything from either and I will always buy from Afflecks if the price is equal to or within a few quid than ebay. I also got a few saturn accessories cheap there like an official Saturn wheel for £6. So it's definitely worth a visit.

alienjesus wrote:Same if you know of a decent one in or around London or Leicester. I've found 2, 1 is very overpriced and one is OK, but still a little more than eBay on most occasions.

Does the store in London have a greater variety of systems and games than Afflecks? Like I say, I've never seen a Turbo in a store.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I am late to this party but I'd just like to say that I am annoyed when you go to a pawn shop or something similar, find some games unmarked/without prices, ask the person how much they want for said item(s) and they say "hold on, let me go look online" and they pull up ebay. If I wanted to pay ebay prices I'd go shop on ebay.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:25 pm

8bit wrote:If I wanted to pay ebay prices I'd go shop on ebay.

I said this once to a flea market vendor.

Went over about as well as you'd expect.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
8bit wrote:If I wanted to pay ebay prices I'd go shop on ebay.

I said this once to a flea market vendor.

Went over about as well as you'd expect.

You got a discount?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Ive had one pawn shop find. All n64 and nes carts were $5. I grabbed a bunch of zelda carts and 2 others nd madeout well. Most other pawn shops dont carry older stuff.

Hell, I am lucky to see ebay prices at the flea market. Many of them are higher than market.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

My local thrift shops can be thrown into that bunch. They price all their games by ebay. Not only that but they have no concept of condition affecting price. For example, someone recently dropped of a 'lot' of DC games. They were charging $13 for a copy of Sonic Adventure that had a broken case and scratches like you've never seen before. Pawn Shops aren't as bad but they're pretty close. Yard sales and flee markets are usually where I get most my finds.
SoltanGris
16-bit

by SoltanGris Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 am

Was just in my local Goodwill. Got a 3rd generation Genesis with controllers and powersupply but no video cable for $15.

They had what appeared to be a factory sealed Dreamcast Crazy Taxi marked at $45! I think it was a "sega all stars" copy. That's nuts!

The only console I really want to collect for is N64 as it was the last cartridge console. I do hope Smash Bros. and Mario Kart prices come down...they are crazy.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 am

2014-01-11 17.56.15.jpg
2014-01-11 17.56.15.jpg (146.66 KiB) Viewed 449 times

I would have loved to buy a complete copy of Fire N Ice...but not for $170.

2014-01-11 17.57.11.jpg
2014-01-11 17.57.11.jpg (110.11 KiB) Viewed 449 times

This picture is blurry, but the fifth game down is none other than Action 52 for the bargain price of $200. Where did these guys get their prices? Take a guess.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 am

I love the pics on the prices. The thing is they don't check what they actually sold for either. They just look it up and see highest offer.
Return to Auctions