eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by Sload Soap Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 am

Nintendork666 wrote:Only buy the cream of the crop, and the increased prices will be justified.

True enough. But a shabby cart only copy going for that much seems off. These aren't super rare or obscure games on poor selling systems. There are also other means to obtain them. But people will and indeed do pay these prices so that's fair.

Also going back to AJ's point of a lot of Snes games being BIN; I've found many times people will actually bid more than a BIN when it comes to snes games. I have absolutely no idea why. Recently I had a bid on Super Aleste beaten that was £2 more than the BIN I bought it for. I only find this with Snes games, though I don't have a NES and hear that can be bad as well. But ebay isn't the problem here, just people perhaps slightly overvaluing the worth of the Snes' library.
BrokenGeode
16-bit

by BrokenGeode Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

This doesn't seem to have happened in Britbongland yet. I can still cop stuff at charity shops for like £3-4 and most Retro Game shops seem to be selling at like £5-10 for most titles still. Unless it's something rare they don't really go higher than £15.
Insert Cool Signature Here
Beak
64-bit

by Beak Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm

The safest place to find deals is, and will long remain, flea markets and garage sales.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Beak wrote:The safest place to find deals is, and will long remain, flea markets and garage sales.

I have found more stuff on craigslist for a good deal than I would ever hope to find from garage sales or flea markets.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Beak wrote:The safest place to find deals is, and will long remain, flea markets and garage sales.

I have found more stuff on craigslist for a good deal than I would ever hope to find from garage sales or flea markets.

I think region matters though. CL has netted me ONE score in the last 5 years. Flea markets are hit or miss. But yard sales have been good to me year in and year out. It's all about where ya at.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I think region matters though. CL has netted me ONE score in the last 5 years. Flea markets are hit or miss. But yard sales have been good to me year in and year out. It's all about where ya at.

Which is strange. Of my local finds, 80-90% has been craigslist. I have found one item at a garage sale, a box of atari carts for $15. I have had a few decent flea market finds, but most you have to get to before the reseller shops hit em up.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 pm

BrokenGeode wrote:This doesn't seem to have happened in Britbongland yet. I can still cop stuff at charity shops for like £3-4 and most Retro Game shops seem to be selling at like £5-10 for most titles still. Unless it's something rare they don't really go higher than £15.

For the majority, yes, stuff is very reasonable. CEX can sometimes be stupidly cheap for modern stuff and I got Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy 13 for £3 each from cash converters. It might be my location, Manchester, but the only places I've found that do retro games tend to have prices at the higher end of the BIN's on ebay. They even sell fakes though at a ever so slightly reduced cost for example £20 for Metroid Fusion cart only and £16 for the fake. I have never seen either a Neo Geo or Turbografx in the wild and there aren't even that many of the things you'd expect from a British retro store; namely Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amiga game and machines.

If you know of any good retro shops in the north or midlands please tell me though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 am

Sload Soap wrote:
BrokenGeode wrote:This doesn't seem to have happened in Britbongland yet. I can still cop stuff at charity shops for like £3-4 and most Retro Game shops seem to be selling at like £5-10 for most titles still. Unless it's something rare they don't really go higher than £15.

For the majority, yes, stuff is very reasonable. CEX can sometimes be stupidly cheap for modern stuff and I got Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy 13 for £3 each from cash converters. It might be my location, Manchester, but the only places I've found that do retro games tend to have prices at the higher end of the BIN's on ebay. They even sell fakes though at a ever so slightly reduced cost for example £20 for Metroid Fusion cart only and £16 for the fake. I have never seen either a Neo Geo or Turbografx in the wild and there aren't even that many of the things you'd expect from a British retro store; namely Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amiga game and machines.

If you know of any good retro shops in the north or midlands please tell me though.

Same if you know of a decent one in or around London or Leicester. I've found 2, 1 is very overpriced and one is OK, but still a little more than eBay on most occasions.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 am

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I think region matters though. CL has netted me ONE score in the last 5 years.

Haha yeah..... Maine craigslist is a total joke.

That said, most of my best finds have been on craigslist, but it averages to 1-2 finds per year.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I think region matters though. CL has netted me ONE score in the last 5 years.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Haha yeah..... Maine craigslist is a total joke.

That said, most of my best finds have been on craigslist, but it averages to 1-2 finds per year.

This has been my experience as well. My local Craigslist has few retro video games. When there is something, it's listed for double the price you would find on eBay. No, your N64 with Ms. Pac-Man is not worth $125.
Return to Auctions