oxymoron wrote:...I'm wrong....

Correct.

Correct me then.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by isiolia Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:44 pm

oxymoron wrote:Correct me then.

You can't assume that the renewed interest /collectibility will wane over time.

The initial dip in price tends to be a reliable trend because interest and in turn demand goes down. Most games see retail price cuts, then get cleared out, and so on. Same with most retail products.

Stuff that sees value go back up later will probably stay valued to some degree. The market may fluctuate, but probably not just outright crash. Far as I know, most of the older stuff that's still cheap just never had the same level of interest that has driven SNES/etc prices up in the first place.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 am

oxymoron wrote:
pierrot wrote:
oxymoron wrote:...I'm wrong....

Correct.

Correct me then.

the reason NES and SNES carts are so expensive now is because of their initial popularity with a generation of individuals who now have disposable income to purchase them. the fact that the most popular franchises like mario, zelda, metroid, kirby, etc. are still relevant and popular adds to the value as well.

the reason Atari 2600 carts are primarily so cheap is due to their initial market saturation and their popularity, or rather lack thereof, with current gamers. there's not a big demand for moon patrol and battlezone right now. but i wish there were... :(
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:18 am

Another thing worth pointing out is that retro games aren't just popular among collectors, they're popular in general. Nintendo's virtual console, Sony's PSone classics, tons of iOS re-releases, etc have all been very popular. Plus you have countless "retro" themed indie games, as well as across the board revival of once-thought-dead genres like the 2D Platformer. These keeps interest among collectors pretty high, as when things like new sequels to old franchises get announced, it sparks collector interest in the older games.

That said, I still think that the unusually long generation we've had is a contributing factor. I guess we'll know by this time next year whether I'm at all right.

I don't really expect a bubble to "burst" though. I expect the increases to slow down however and the prices to stabilize. I think that's a more realistic expectation.

Really, it's impossible to tell all the factors that go into things like that, and really it's a bit of a fool's errand to try. It's nice to know whether this stuff will be affordable down the road, but I wouldn't count on any sort of big price drop or whatever. If you want to buy, be prepared to buy at the current value, and be willing to adapt as prices change.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:24 am

AppleQueso wrote:Really, it's impossible to tell all the factors that go into things like that, and really it's a bit of a fool's errand to try. It's nice to know whether this stuff will be affordable down the road, but I wouldn't count on any sort of big price drop or whatever. If you want to buy, be prepared to buy at the current value, and be willing to adapt as prices change.

this is sage advice.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:56 am

I love eBay, I'd struggle to get ahold of most of my retro games without it.

One rather annoying trend I've noticed on UK eBay lately though is that everything retro is getting listed as a Buy It Now, at quite high prices normally. It's artificially driving price rises because people end up more willing to bid higher on the one or two auctions running because paying £20 for a £12 game is still cheaper than paying £30 for the same thing on BIN.

It's something I've only really noticed in the last 6 months or so. It kinda defeats the point of eBay as an auction site.

It's making securing a Gamecube copy of Phantasy Star Online for next month a pain in the ass though.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I find getting Snes games on ebay.co.uk a wholly tedious process. You have to put a daft bid on and even then people will snipe like crazy. And seeing Megaman X and Super Castlevania carts go for £40-50 is crazy. Still better than my local game shop though.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

by Nintendork666 Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:03 am

Only buy the cream of the crop, and the increased prices will be justified.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 am

Nintendork666 wrote:Only buy the cream of the crop, and the increased prices will be justified.

The SNES library has a lot of games that would be considered above average, and if you're collecting CIB copies, things get really expensive quickly.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
Return to Auctions