eBay links and general discussion of auctions
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:07 am

AppleQueso wrote:The VGA stuff though... has anyone ever actually bought those expensive common graded games for those prices?

I don't think I would ever buy something like that...

Although, I did buy this yesterday... :mrgreen:

Pack Eidos 3 Jeux @ DREAMCAST NEUF SOUS BLISTER @ Version PAL NEW SEALED

Don't remember ever seeing one of those 3in1 packs before...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:28 am

elmagicochrisg wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:The VGA stuff though... has anyone ever actually bought those expensive common graded games for those prices?

I don't think I would ever buy something like that...

I get the whole idea behind getting your own games slabbed. I mean if I had a rare game (or even just a game I really loved) still sealed and in amazing condition, I would definitely look into getting it graded and slabbed, just to sorta have as a personal trophy or something.

I can't imagine why people get them slabbed and then turn around and try to sell them. Does slabbing even actually add any value? I can't imagine it does.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 am

The only thing it adds is supposed proof that the game is in mint condition and protection to keep it that way. You can make an argument for this adding to value somewhat if you respect the validity of the VGA as a grading system but not the the extremes some people appear to think it does.

What really confuses me is I heard that they're apparently going to start grading loose games if they haven't already. To which I say, what's the point?
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 am

Gunstar Green wrote:What really confuses me is I heard that they're apparently going to start grading loose games if they haven't already. To which I say, what's the point?

So they can start making these listings:

"Earthbound Cart - Loose - VGA 85+ - ONLY $500"
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

Opa Opa wrote:So they can start making these listings:

"Earthbound Cart - Loose - VGA 85+ - ONLY $50000000000000000"

Fixed :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Stupidly enough, I've seen plenty of VGA stuff on Ebay sell for ridiculous prices - the most idiotic was probably a copy of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on 360 that was VGA graded and sold for 249.99. Some people are just brain dead, I guess, considering you can buy the game sealed for 29.99 and then have it graded for around fifty bucks...

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:17 pm

It's kinda weird that I was the last person to comment on this thread over a year ago...

Anyway, it's a year later and the SNES bubble shows no signs of slowing - if anything, prices are continuing to go up and up and up. Demand is obviously the biggest factor for the inflation, but the Super Nintendo in general has definitely achieved a mythical status among gamers these days (Youtube is a huge factor in this) so it's really no surprise to see a lot of these prices.

mas
Next-Gen

by mas Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Retrogamer0001 wrote:It's kinda weird that I was the last person to comment on this thread over a year ago...

Anyway, it's a year later and the SNES bubble shows no signs of slowing - if anything, prices are continuing to go up and up and up. Demand is obviously the biggest factor for the inflation, but the Super Nintendo in general has definitely achieved a mythical status among gamers these days (Youtube is a huge factor in this) so it's really no surprise to see a lot of these prices.

I'm just glad I don't collect anymore. The prices have gone up in everything even the genesis games. Hell the rare dreamcast games have gone up.
It's actually hurt places like thrift stores in my area also. When ever I go There are three stores in my area and they never have anything anymore and one clerk I talk to tells me that she never sees anything anymore because people sell on ebay now.
I go once a week and maybe Im missing out but even the retro store I talk to tells me that they don't get collections anymore either. They used to have boxes of turtles, Zelda, Mario's, street fighters for snes and now as soon as they get a trade they put it right out. People are selling on ebay or like a lot here on racketboy keeping their stuff and rekindle their childhood or getting into retro gaming.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:00 pm

mas wrote:
Retrogamer0001 wrote:It's kinda weird that I was the last person to comment on this thread over a year ago...

I'm just glad I don't collect anymore. The prices have gone up in everything even the genesis games. Hell the rare dreamcast games have gone up.
It's actually hurt places like thrift stores in my area also. When ever I go There are three stores in my area and they never have anything anymore and one clerk I talk to tells me that she never sees anything anymore because people sell on ebay now.
I go once a week and maybe Im missing out but even the retro store I talk to tells me that they don't get collections anymore either. They used to have boxes of turtles, Zelda, Mario's, street fighters for snes and now as soon as they get a trade they put it right out. People are selling on ebay or like a lot here on racketboy keeping their stuff and rekindle their childhood or getting into retro gaming.

Unfortunately, you're right - prices have increased across the board. Many NES games are also following this trend to an insane degree, which is a big reason why I've avoided digging too deeply into that particular game library. I think it's a good time to take a step back and stop buying.

oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but two periods when games are cheap. One is when a system is slowly dying away like PS2, GC, XBOX, and soon to be 360 and PS3. The other is when a system gets so old that most games hold little value like the 2600. The SNES, NES, Sega CD, etc. are going through the middle phase where they are in demand.
Return to Auctions