eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay is killing the hobby

by Gunstar Green Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:58 pm

xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:eBay's not the problem - people purchasing at unreasonable prices are.

This. Price is set by what people are willing to pay. You can't blame the eBay sellers for trying to make as much money as they can, especially if people are paying those prices.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:24 pm

It's the holiday upcreep. Buisness raise prices too.

With CRISmahQuanza coming soon. We want to get something nice for someone.

We want that nice classic feeling of an old gift not quite seen in a while.

Retail stores do this too, raise prices on stuff to get that extra profit on holiday shoppers.

/capitalism
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 pm

pvt_awol wrote: Anyone remember baseball cards?

If we are blaming ebay for rising prices :roll: - this is not the analogy to use. The prices of cards plummeted with ebay.

Ebay straightened out many markets in fact. Comics and baseball cards were considered more rare and harder to find in local markets and thus fetched much higher prices in local markets. Vintage toys and video games were on the other end, not considered to have wide appeal so sellers got what they could, if you will.

Ebay creates a true market for many many things - there are a number of items I never would have sold locally in the paper, at a yard sale, or even on craigs - but via ebay, I know they have value to someone, and ebay provides a valuable outlet. It is not perfect of course and you will have bad experiences, but by and large it is a great thing and not the devil some frustrated folks portray it to be.
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:56 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Prices balloon and dwindle. Genesis games are still a dime a dozen. Retro stuff... particularly Nintendo stuff, just happens to be really popular right now. Several Saturn games seem to be slowly dropping in price.

I don't think it's killing the hobby at all, more people are getting involved in the hobby. Thrift stores and flea markets are still excellent ways to score some cheap deals.

I actually made a rant similar to this post. I'll update this one with the link soon enough.

I wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that anything with the name "Nintendo" automatically gets it a price markup? You find new sealed dreamcast games online sometimes for less than the used prices, but NES to 64, hell even GC games JUST CIB can cost nearly 40 to 50 dollars. Not just online either. EVERYONE know's mario, and so EVERYONE wants to sell him for 40 bucks a cart. You can easily get 20-25 games in perfect condition for Genesis, but that's the price you'll pay for a first party NES cart. That is ridiculous. It even shows in my signature, I've wanted to start up a SNES or N64 collection, ever since I started retro collecting but it's so damned expensive that it's just not worth it.

I could say more, but I'll end my rant here.

EDIT: Yeah, I made it on this thread, second page, halfway down. I don't think anywone responded.

Code: Select all
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39862
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 pm

brandman wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that anything with the name "Nintendo" automatically gets it a price markup? You find new sealed dreamcast games online sometimes for less than the used prices, but NES to 64, hell even GC games JUST CIB can cost nearly 40 to 50 dollars. Not just online either. EVERYONE know's mario, and so EVERYONE wants to sell him for 40 bucks a cart. You can easily get 20-25 games in perfect condition for Genesis, but that's the price you'll pay for a first party NES cart. That is ridiculous. It even shows in my signature, I've wanted to start up a SNES or N64 collection, ever since I started retro collecting but it's so damned expensive that it's just not worth it.

I could say more, but I'll end my rant here.

I hear ya. Getting a Game Boy Advance and a GameCube this year, I'm running into the same price issues I did trying to get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Anything "Mario", "Metroid", etc that has that name automatically gets a price premium for some reason. It was tough finding the Super Mario Advance titles, but I got them. A bit annoying, but on eBay, you just have to be patient.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm

ExedExes wrote:I'm running into the same price issues I did trying to get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Anything "Mario", "Metroid", etc that has that name automatically gets a price premium for some reason.

The premium isn't random though. The reason is that you, like everyone else, want Mario and Metroid games. That is demand and that raises the value.
legato10
8-bit

by legato10 Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Ebay isn't the problem. It's the mentality of the seller's. It is odd how they suddenly jump to the conclusion that the price they set is "fair".

Alphaomegasin did a rant on this that is actually pretty spot on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gCUXDLiNU&feature=plcp

Most sellers use various tools to see what the "market" price for a given game is and set it to that without thinking. What would bring the price down is for buyers to wait it out until they lower the price. Hypothetically, if a seller says (x) for (y) and no one buys or gets only low offers then they would eventually lower the price or cave to the low offer.

Oh, and this mentality is not only on Ebay or Amazon. I went to a pawn shop in Webster, TX and found three NES games (Excite Bike, Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt, Mach Rider. All of which were dirty and cart only) that he honestly tried to pitch to me for $25. I gave him a look and then asked how much Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt and, I kid you not, the bastard had the nerve to ask for $20! When I asked why so high he gave me this response: "I ain't no fool. I've been to gamestop. I've seen how much they charge for games." I gave him a "fuck you" look and walked out of there.

$20 for Super Mario Bros./ Duck Hunt at a bastard pawn shop! It's not the place, it's the mentality.
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I'm running into the same price issues I did trying to get Super Mario All Stars for the SNES. Anything "Mario", "Metroid", etc that has that name automatically gets a price premium for some reason.

The premium isn't random though. The reason is that you, like everyone else, want Mario and Metroid games. That is demand and that raises the value.

Exactly. You are not stuck in traffic; you ARE traffic.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I have a guilty pleasure television show that I watch called "Hardcore Pawn". You see people come in all the time that want x amount of dollars for their item, based on what they see it "selling for" online. Usually all it takes is a few clicks to see they've been to fleabay, and all they looked at was current auctions for items that aren't selling, as opposed to sold items.

There's a mentality that you can "sell anything" at fleabay, which is mostly true. Listing something for sale and actually selling it is an entirely different story.

I'm with whoever said it -- the problem is with buyers forking over the money and making it seem like that's what the majority is willing to cough up. Don't perpetuate the cycle, and prices will fall to be more in line with what they should be eventually. Demand for certain games will always be high, but demand alone does not drive pricing.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:26 pm

flojocabron wrote:It's the holiday upcreep. Buisness raise prices too.

With CRISmahQuanza coming soon. We want to get something nice for someone.

We want that nice classic feeling of an old gift not quite seen in a while.

Retail stores do this too, raise prices on stuff to get that extra profit on holiday shoppers.

/capitalism

The holiday upcreep for 2012 seems to have started in January, in that case.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Return to Auctions