eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: The WTF/LOL Ebay/Craigslist Link Extravaganza Thread

by Betagam7 Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 am

Tanooki wrote:With that guy it probably is. I've had some odd ball boxes come my way like a black video card box, shoebox, but I never had a cannibalized game or console/accessory box.

All that stuff you go over with gameking it makes me kind of interested but the hunt/price is a bit of a turn off as it's so wonky and obscure.

Prices are on the rise...but mostly from idiots who now see every obscure system as potential goldust. these are the lots that just sit and sit though because, if I'm perfectly honest I'm fairly sure I'm the only person actively collecting this system anymore. :lol:

I set myself fairly budget based parameters and have never paid anything ridiculous as a result. This recent purchase was the most expensive I've made and I only succumbed because I'm at the point where I now have 72 of the 90 individual titles I've managed to establish exist and just want to complete the set.

I wouldn't be looking to pay more than $10 for a Gameking 1 unit or for any of the individual carts. The 4-in-1's are a little more interesting and harder to find and that's where most of the library comes from.

The GK 2 is worth getting for the backlight. Once you've stripped out the stupid transparency but the first unit is the most comfortable. You can still get good deals if you are patient but there is less and less available, mostly as I've spent the past year buying it all. :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 am

So basically you cornered the market like the mythical twit who supposedly has a lot of copies of TG16 Magical Chase. You got the market cornered. :D
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Tanooki wrote:So basically you cornered the market like the mythical twit who supposedly has a lot of copies of TG16 Magical Chase. You got the market cornered. :D

Fortunately for me I don't think there is any real market to speak of. Someone should probably point that out to the people listing them for hundreds of euros. :lol:

I started collecting these failed handhelds and their games out of curiosity mixed with burnout from established retro games and their blanket coverage on youtube essentially stripping away any sense of discovery or mystery. Since nobody makes videos about the Gameking (other than a brief Ashens appearance) I get the fun of popping in a cart for the first time with no idea what I'm going to experience (and then ruining the mystery for everyone else by blogging about it.) :P
zyrobs
8-bit

by zyrobs Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Betagam7 wrote:So apparently we've now reached the point where people think Super Famicom boxes covered in sticky tape are suitable packaging!

Am I the only one who thinks this is upsetting?

I've seen people a few years back who sold PAL Saturn games that way - original box had the address info etc sticky taped to it.

For those who don't know, the PAL Saturn boxes were two plastic pieces held together by glued cardboard, and they are notorious for the amount of damage they get.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 pm

My worst ebay experience also involves the Saturn. Some non-gaming dad was selling his son's old "junk" back when people still did that. I bought a lot of disks without boxes and asked him to please make sure he wrap them in something protective.

He chose plain white printer paper.

Discs arrived scratched to oblivion. In his defense he told me "I don't know much about videogames".

No kidding, pops! :|
pollmonster
24-bit

by pollmonster Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Super Nintendo Donkey Kong Country - $325 (Escondido)

Has manual, box, game, $350 and everything looking good.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/vgm ... 19331.html
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am

pollmonster wrote:Super Nintendo Donkey Kong Country - $325 (Escondido)

Has manual, box, game, $350 and everything looking good.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/vgm ... 19331.html

Quality photo there. Really selling it with the darkened room and no flash approach.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 29, 2018 11:45 am

No complaints and I love this seller, but some of their descriptions make me chuckle:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ae2584-Cocoron ... SwwAdbC1-I
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Whoa.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aliens-2-Famic ... 663.l10137

So, Aliens: Alien 2 was developed by SquareSoft. It was on the MSX, but the FDS version was cancelled, though the disk images were eventually leaked online. Looks like people are now making physical FDS disks of the game. I think I may take the plunge, eventually.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Too cool. Never thought I’d see FDS repros. Is it the only one?
Return to Auctions